RE: Creationism and evolution
Well said, No. J... the 3 points, not the thumb twiddling Big Grin

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2010, 11:58 PM
(08-11-2010 10:34 AM)athnostic Wrote:  Before becoming an atheist, I was a theistic evolutionist. This was just another step in the process of becoming an atheist. I think people who are open-minded enough to research evolution and science will eventually come to this conclusion. It didn't take me long.

Be patient with these guys, since they're probably on the road to atheism.

If this is the case then the vast majority of the world would be on the road.

I don't think this is the case. There are far too many sects of religion (Catholics I'm looking at you for starters) that embrace science but fail to make the larger connections because they redefine the "context" of god.

The last two popes at least have agreed that evolution is real but they make a fatal error in asserting that monogenesis means that god's aid is required to ensure that humans only evolved in one place before spreading throughout the world. Of course anyone with a basic understanding of evolution knows fully well why humans wouldn't evolve on multiple continents at once.

They just replace where god is needed. No one has retired the idea that no god is needed.
10-11-2010, 06:46 AM

(09-11-2010 11:58 PM)Godless Wrote:  If this is the case then the vast majority of the world would be on the road.

I don't think this is the case. There are far too many sects of religion (Catholics I'm looking at you for starters) that embrace science but fail to make the larger connections because they redefine the "context" of god.

Being "on the road" doesn't mean you'll eventually reach the destination. I think most believers are on that road, but many of them just can't follow it to its logical conclusion.
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2010, 02:18 AM
(10-11-2010 06:46 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  Being "on the road" doesn't mean you'll eventually reach the destination. I think most believers are on that road, but many of them just can't follow it to its logical conclusion.

No matter how many road maps they are offered. Tongue