Creationism in Texan Public Schools

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2013, 11:11 AM
RE: Creationism in Texan Public Schools
I never asserted that religious teachings had anything to do with the level of education a person receives. In fact, the point of my original post was that creation science isn't really the most pressing issue we have with public education.

"Those people needing that training failed to learn basic stuff in school,~"

No, the system responsible for teaching them failed. They had no choice but to be forced into a room with thirty other kids being inflicted with rote memorization of useless historical dates and other minutia.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2013, 11:16 AM
(30-01-2013 11:11 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  I never asserted that religious teachings had anything to do with the level of education a person receives. In fact, the point of my original post was that creation science isn't really the most pressing issue we have with public education.

"Those people needing that training failed to learn basic stuff in school,~"

No, the system responsible for teaching them failed. They had no choice but to be forced into a room with thirty other kids being inflicted with rote memorization of useless historical dates and other minutia.
You can't blame it entirely on classroom size and rote memorization. I had that in school too, and yet I still learned. Sure, I had a good home life and no learning disabilities on my part, but still 30 kids and rote memorization in mediocre schools. There are always kids who do choose to learn and always kids who don't and always kids who can't, and without a doubt the crappy school systems make everything worse rather than better, but it's not just a black-and-white answer to blame it on the schools.

All I was saying was in response to "the only skills these kids [learning bible studies in Texas schools] will have is working at Walmart". That's not true, for the reasons I posted above. Whether or not crappy schools undermine their efforts to become lawyers or engineers or whatever, doesn't change the fact that learning science in the classrooms will not force them to work at Walmart - there's just a whole lot more that goes into that failure.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
30-01-2013, 11:22 AM
"You can't blame it entirely on classroom size and rote memorization."

I don't. But I also don't think this is the place to lay out my entire case against public schooling.

Likewise, your appeal to personal experience is of no consequence. You aren't representative of the rest of the kids who are subjected to this system. Further, it doesn't matter that some kids do well. What matters is that the system is corrupt, inefficient and fundamentally immoral.
30-01-2013, 11:28 AM
None of which has anything to do with my refutation of the original (flawed) claim that bible in Texas classrooms will disqualify those students from any job more demanding that Walmart.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
30-01-2013, 11:34 AM
(30-01-2013 11:22 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  "You can't blame it entirely on classroom size and rote memorization."

I don't. But I also don't think this is the place to lay out my entire case against public schooling.

Likewise, your appeal to personal experience is of no consequence. You aren't representative of the rest of the kids who are subjected to this system. Further, it doesn't matter that some kids do well. What matters is that the system is corrupt, inefficient and fundamentally immoral.
A school that teaches creationism has failed to teach critical thinking skills. That failure percolates through all subjects.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-01-2013, 11:38 AM
That's just an assumption.

Maybe that same school has a math teacher who's doing a wonderful job teaching critical thinking skills.

30-01-2013, 11:39 AM
(30-01-2013 11:38 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  That's just an assumption.

Maybe that same school has a math teacher who's doing a wonderful job teaching critical thinking skills.

And that teacher's job will be that much harder because critical thinking is not being reinforced.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
30-01-2013, 08:34 PM
"Maybe that same school has a math teacher who's doing a wonderful job teaching critical thinking skills."

I'm sure there are some really kind guards in Guantanamo as well but that has nothing to do with the fact that it's wrong to imprison innocent people.
31-01-2013, 12:30 AM
The Texas GOP party has condemned critical thinking in the past. It is funny to watch religious fuck's nod there head to this shit. I live in Austin so the school's are ok but in some small towns and Dallas houston good lord the poor kid's never had a chance. Oh and please dont let us secede! At least let me move first.
31-01-2013, 06:05 AM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2013 06:09 AM by Vosur.)
It's... it's like a different world. If someone were to propose teaching Creationism in public schools over here, he would get laughed out of the room.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]