Creationism in Texan Public Schools

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2013, 01:58 PM
RE: Creationism in Texan Public Schools
Lucky. Oh yeah well well.... we are fucking stupid down south there I said it! No scratch that this whole country is off there rocker! Politically correct, religious, science hating whores lol
(31-01-2013 06:05 AM)Vosur Wrote:  It's... it's like a different world. If someone were to propose teaching Creationism in public schools over here, he would get laughed out of the room.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Not surprising, although my city doesn't have that.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
31-01-2013, 03:24 PM
(31-01-2013 06:05 AM)Vosur Wrote:  It's... it's like a different world. If someone were to propose teaching Creationism in public schools over here, he would get laughed out of the room.
They would most likely loose their job for suggesting something that ridiculous here !
31-01-2013, 04:18 PM
(30-01-2013 11:38 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  That's just an assumption.
Maybe that same school has a math teacher who's doing a wonderful job teaching critical thinking skills.

Math isn't a threat to the fundamentalist's faith/delusion so it won't be challenged. Evolution IS a direct threat since it completely is at odds with their bronze age text they so worship. A lot of Christians have somehow reconciled that evolution is fact by deciding they had misinterpreted their bible or still adding their god to the mix. I'm not so sure Math teaches critical thinking in the same way that you enhance your bullshit detector though.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. – Thomas Paine
[+] 1 user Likes MrBean's post
01-02-2013, 01:59 AM
No, math doesn't enhance our bullshit detectors.

In 9th grade I asked my geometry teacher why we had to learn geometry. He said to prepare us for later math. I then asked when will we ever use either one, unless we become a math teacher or maybe occasionally in science or engineering - most of which would be done by computers anyway.

His answer was that the best thing about geometry was that it teaches us problem solving skills. Not just for math, but for all kinds of problems throughout our life. We learn to look at any problem and apply ourselves, logically, to analyzing the problem and finding a solution.

I think he was right.

It won't detect bullshit, but it does help us learn to be more analytic.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Atheism to be studied in Irish schools. I Am 8 484 05-10-2013 04:08 PM
Last Post: Hughsie
  Probably better to discuss politics in public with clothes ON. Putin said. HU.Junyuan 6 427 10-04-2013 12:07 PM
Last Post: ClydeLee
  God Did Not Protect Connecticut Shooting Victims Because Prayer Banned In Schools KVron 24 1,647 30-12-2012 05:00 PM
Last Post: Elesjei
  Do religious people have the right to rent out schools for worship services? Buddy Christ 7 737 05-07-2012 11:36 PM
Last Post: SlipStitch
  Conservatives rewrite History for Texan Children Debzilla 6 621 25-04-2012 07:41 PM
Last Post: mysticjbyrd
  Creationism bill becomes Tenn. law Clint Barnett 5 409 11-04-2012 08:26 AM
Last Post: germanyt
  Gay student kills himself after sex tape of him made public ashley.hunt60 6 1,649 04-10-2010 02:41 PM
Last Post: puncheex