Creationist Video Claims Magic Is The Work of The Devil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Creationist Video Claims Magic Is The Work of The Devil
So, there's this Christian propaganda video that promotes magic as being the work of the devil. This is not the first time I have heard this, since quite a few churches spoke out about things like Harry Potter being evil because it involves magic. Now, what I'm thoroughly confused by is this:

1. The authors of books like the Harry Potter series, The Lord of The Rings series and the like have never claimed the magic in those books as something to be taken for truth. Those authors never said "This is all true! Tell your children they need to believe in the magic presented in my books!"

2. THE BIBLE IS FULL OF FUCKING MAGIC!!!: A god creating the universe just by wishing it, talking snakes, burning bushes that talk, a man parting the Red Sea, all the countless miracles supposedly performed by Jesus: walking on water, magically curing people of leprosy, etc.!

These Christians are claiming that letting children have fun with their imagination with stories about wizards and other magic is evil, but indoctrinating kids to believe in some vengeful god and all the ridiculous magical stories in the book that is supposedly his word is not harmful at all. In fact, it's absolutely necessary to them.

I loved books about wizards and magic stuff like that when I was a kid, as did many of my friends, AND WE KNEW IT WASN'T TRUE! It was simply something to have fun using your imagination. Apparently, any kid who likes to use their imagination can't tell the difference between reality and make-believe...Facepalm

It just blows my mind that Christians cannot see their hypocrisy in all of this.

The person who created the video changed it to a private video, so if you haven't seen it and want to check it out, you can watch it on this video by Jaclyn Glenn. It's one of many videos she has made on religious topics:

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
28-03-2014, 03:02 PM
RE: Creationist Video Claims Magic Is The Work of The Devil
Yah but you must remember magic isn't real, so you can't do something evil if said eveil thing isn't possible in the first place. Drinking Beverage

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
28-03-2014, 03:06 PM
(28-03-2014 03:02 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Yah but you must remember magic isn't real, so you can't do something evil if said eveil thing isn't possible in the first place. Drinking Beverage

Sadcryface B-but f-friendship is magic, right? Weeping

I think someone posted this video a while ago. I've certainly seen it before, and it's been around for a long time now.

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
28-03-2014, 03:08 PM
...and J.R.R. was a pretty outspoken Christian with his buddy C.S.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
28-03-2014, 03:11 PM
(28-03-2014 03:02 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Yah but you must remember magic isn't real, so you can't do something evil if said eveil thing isn't possible in the first place. Drinking Beverage

Yeah, your average 4-year-old who hasn't been indoctrinated can tell you that, but Bible thumpers don't understand that concept.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
28-03-2014, 03:14 PM
(28-03-2014 03:06 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  

Sadcryface B-but f-friendship is magic, right? Weeping

I think someone posted this video a while ago. I've certainly seen it before, and it's been around for a long time now.

Clearly friendship isn't magic, or it wouldn't exist.Smartass

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
28-03-2014, 03:16 PM
(28-03-2014 03:14 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 03:06 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Sadcryface B-but f-friendship is magic, right? Weeping

Clearly friendship isn't magic, or it wouldn't exist.Smartass

Did you just.....

[Image: c9f594a0b7866d0149133e930b3c9e0aafe14acb...e46cbc.jpg]

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 4 users Like TSG's post
31-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Yeah, but if magic did exist, then it would be a part of the universe that their god created right? I mean, do they think Satan can superseded their god's creation and just start making up fundamental shit like magic?

Sounds like they worship a shitty god that can't keep subordinate cosmic powers in line. So why are they worshiping it again? Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
31-03-2014, 10:57 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2014 11:02 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
Let's see...

p1: Gawd magicked the universe and everything in it (including magick) into existence.

p2: Magick is the Work of The Debil.

c: Gawd is The Debil.

I'm Good With That! Thumbsup

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 3 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
01-04-2014, 06:02 AM
(28-03-2014 03:01 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  1. The authors of books like the Harry Potter series, The Lord of The Rings series and the like have never claimed the magic in those books as something to be taken for truth. Those authors never said "This is all true! Tell your children they need to believe in the magic presented in my books!"

Yeah, I never got why the portrayal of fictitious magic is evil, but I've heard that one, too.

Hell, my mom married a guy when I was fairly young. Over two years, he bought me a shit-ton of He Man toys. He even built me a castle for them. Then, one day, he went full-fundy and read a stupid book (Turmoil in the Toybox, not the Bible) and decided my toys were evil. He burnt all of them into a solid lump of plastic to save my soul and the souls of everyone in the house. He also burnt all the drawing my mom had made of unicorns. I think they do things with their horns. Dirty things.

In all fairness, he lived just outside of city limits and they didn't have trash pickup, so they burnt all their trash. Still, the image of him burning evil toys is pretty priceless.

(28-03-2014 03:01 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  2. THE BIBLE IS FULL OF FUCKING MAGIC!!!: A god creating the universe just by wishing it, talking snakes, burning bushes that talk, a man parting the Red Sea, all the countless miracles supposedly performed by Jesus: walking on water, magically curing people of leprosy, etc.!

Yeah, this is where the special pleading comes in. When a human turns a stick to a snake, it's evil devil magic! When a human channels God's divine energy to do the same, it's a miracle. This is because of [reasons]. Now, how the causal observer is supposed to tell whether the stick-snake transmuter is using foul arcane magicks or the a particularly impressive display of providence is beyond me. I guess we just assume they're all evil and kill 'em all? I mean, it's not like we can trust a bunch of Satan-worshiping sorcerers to not lie and say they're working on behalf of God, right?