Creationist claim: "evolutionists often imagine an animal based on one bone"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2015, 09:32 AM
Creationist claim: "evolutionists often imagine an animal based on one bone"
I'm a relatively new atheist and relatively new to studying evolution. I've read Coyne, Dawkins, Prothero...watched many YouTube videos, done a lot of reading on Talk Origins.

One thing I hear the average creationist say sometimes is: "Well, evolutionists will just find like one bone and then imagine this whole animal and its appearance based on this one bone"...and they laugh at it as being completely ridiculous.

I don't know enough about natural history museums, fossil evidence, paleoartists (?) to know how to best rebut that creationist notion. I mean, and with science, there's hardly ever an easy, quick, simple answer to any question (unlike religion...*rolling my eyes*)...which is most often what the creationist wants and thinks everything has to be.

How would you respond to that type of creationist idea? I think I'd start with some basics, like how the T-Rex "Sue" was an 80% complete skeleton. Or mention some specifics like how complete "Lucy" was. Also, I think part of the creationist problem here is that they're extremely naive and uniformed about things like paleontology. Sure, many many fossilized animals we've only found like a small bone, top of cranium, etc...but those still provide us extremely useful information like cranial capacity size, etc. Also, I think the creationist seems to imagine as if that one bone was the only ever found for that species...when in fact, sometimes we may have parts of other skeletons of that same species.

I know this is an extremely broad question, but I'm looking for any input others might have.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2015, 09:39 AM
RE: Creationist claim: "evolutionists often imagine an animal based on one bone"
(I just realized there's also a "Creationism" section on this forum. I'll post these type of questions over there in the future.)
22-08-2015, 09:57 AM
RE: Creationist claim: "evolutionists often imagine an animal based on one bone"
Well you can. I remember how a man constructed the image of an extinct animal with a tooth. It was later confirmed he was right by a discover of a fossil with the same teeth.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
22-08-2015, 10:04 AM
(22-08-2015 09:57 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Well you can. I remember how a man constructed the image of an extinct animal with a tooth. It was later confirmed he was right by a discover of a fossil with the same teeth.

So the creationists basically just don't understand the science behind it, right? The example you mentioned is very interesting! Kinda reminds me of a quote I read somewhere attributed to Carl Sagan: "Has there ever been a religion with the prophetic accuracy and reliability of science?"

The more I learn about evolution, the more I'm amazed wondering if most creationists...even the people working for the creationist organizations...have ever even seriously read ONE good book on evolution. I remember reading a long time ago that one of the AIG staff people thought it was just a made-up rumor that a few whales have been found with a vestigial leg. Um, read a textbook, dimwit! Haha.
[+] 3 users Like Learner's post
22-08-2015, 10:06 AM
It's not imagination. It's extrapolation based on prior findings.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 4 users Like cactus's post
22-08-2015, 10:08 AM
And maybe part of the difficulty for fundamentalist creationists is that they only operate in the realm of objective, absolute authority, truth straight from God...they want everything to be black and white, and know everything with 100% certainty. However, in science, nothing is known with 100% certainty, and there's the best-attested current theory with whatever evidence to support it...or predictions based on scientific understanding that could later be proved or disproved. So with an image created based on a tooth, the artist isn't claiming it is 100% correct, but it is a reasonable and knowledgeable attempt. So in the case you mentioned, it turned out the man who constructed the image...a "prediction" of sorts...did turn out being right.
22-08-2015, 10:09 AM
(22-08-2015 10:06 AM)cactus Wrote:  It's not imagination. It's extrapolation based on prior findings.

Good point. Good word usage.
22-08-2015, 05:43 PM
(22-08-2015 10:04 AM)Learner Wrote:  
(22-08-2015 09:57 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Well you can. I remember how a man constructed the image of an extinct animal with a tooth. It was later confirmed he was right by a discover of a fossil with the same teeth.

So the creationists basically just don't understand the science behind it, right? The example you mentioned is very interesting! Kinda reminds me of a quote I read somewhere attributed to Carl Sagan: "Has there ever been a religion with the prophetic accuracy and reliability of science?"

The more I learn about evolution, the more I'm amazed wondering if most creationists...even the people working for the creationist organizations...have ever even seriously read ONE good book on evolution. I remember reading a long time ago that one of the AIG staff people thought it was just a made-up rumor that a few whales have been found with a vestigial leg. Um, read a textbook, dimwit! Haha.

I feel ya, the reason why the reconstruction of fossils can not be true is because it shows the bunk of their claims. This means transitional fossils are accurate in their reconstruction. That is not aloud for them.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
22-08-2015, 08:09 PM
Hey, here are few video series that you might be interested in if you are specifically dealing with creationist claims:
* "How creationism taught me real science" by Tony Reed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BivVZ8rF...2VbeRQbLk7
* "Why do people laugh at creationists" by Thunderf00t: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS5vid4G...305829426D
* Potholer54debunks: https://www.youtube.com/user/Potholer54debunks/videos

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 4 users Like Hafnof's post
25-08-2015, 08:28 AM
I think part of the claims are based on the Nebraska Man debacle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Man

Of course as we know, science is self correcting and this was cleared up, but creationists will still pull this tired argument out because they have no shame.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post