Creationist (mis)understanding of science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2016, 05:43 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 06:09 AM by Silly Deity.)
Creationist (mis)understanding of science
What is it about creationists that they seem to think they can ignore every definition of science, the scientific method, scientific theories, empirical evidence etc?

I've just been having a "debate" with a creationist following the news that Trump was in discussion with Falwell about the US education post.

So far this idiot has:
  • confused evolutionary biology with cosmology, astronomy and geology.
  • confused evolution with abiogenesis.
  • made a claim for the age of the earth with no evidence.
  • contradicted himself on the requirement for empirical evidence.
  • conflated science with fascism
  • been singularly unable to grasp the concept of beneficial mutations at a genetic level
  • proposed "magic" as a potential scientific explanation for evolutionary development
  • suggested the entirely debunked pseudoscientific explanation (intelligent design) is valid
  • claimed that more scientists accept intelligent design than evolution (unsurprisingly with no evidence).
  • been unable to understand the nature of empirical evidence
  • been unable to understand the nature of a scientific theory and why to be a theory it demands extraordinary amounts of evidence, validation and review

Every single time he's made such ignorant mistakes he's been corrected, sometimes repeatedly. Despite all this he still appears to believe that he is uniquely qualified to pontificate on the teaching of science in schools and takes it as some sort of personal slight when he's told he's being ignorant.

Can there be any more ridiculous examples of cognitive dissonance than holding a position that is repeatedly and demonstrably wrong?

There are also the laughably obvious attempts to compartmentalise science so that those fields that somehow contradict biblical teachings are "controversial" or "unproven" while no such requirements are made of those areas of science that are superficially no threat to creationism. The problem for them is that science is convergent as well as being divergent. The research in one field very often supports that in another and when this is helpfully pointed out to them there is a deafening silence.

The idiocy is profound.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
01-12-2016, 06:49 AM
RE: Creationist (mis)understanding of science
You are not arguing with a creationist. You're arguing with a Can't Possibly Be Wrong Because I'm 'Special'. You can beat that horse until it has long since turned to dust, and it won't move.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
01-12-2016, 09:25 PM
Because to a Cretinist, The Truth lies within certain portions of a book written by ignorant goat-herders millenia ago and liberally mistranslated. Anything inconsistent with The Truth is wrong. In terms of science, that's everything except the few coincidental intersections of the data with the dogma and the bits that Cretin Scientists have cherry-picked, bent beyond recognition, or simply lied about to fit.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
07-12-2016, 05:53 AM
So this creationist continues to be laughably ignorant and plays the "there's insufficient fossil evidence for evolution" card. After pointing yet again that evidence for evolution is provided by many convergent fields of science, the guy simply restates there's insufficient evidence.

So..........finding such ignorance really tedious I ask him to provide me with a single link to a peer-reviewed paper from a respected scientific journal or periodical, from let’s say the last ten years, that provides a comprehensive rebuttal of the theory of evolution. Yeah.........I know..........there isn't one. But hey, this guy has the brains of a goldfish.

His response? The only evidence that matters is fossil evidence and then a number of quote mines he's evidently copied and pasted from some creationist website.

When pressed for that peer-reviewed paper from a respected scientific journal or periodical that provides a comprehensive rebuttal of the theory of evolution.

Quote:That kind of paper would never be published in a journal like that because it would undermine the work of 150 years of scientists. The feild of evolution tries to prove it 150 years of men trying to make it work. They discredit anyone who who tries to publish contrary findings. Watch the documentary called' Expelled: no intelligence allowed. It shows what happens when someone even mentions ID. So the kind of paper peer reviewed and printed in a scientifically acceptable journal doesn't exist. But it doesn't need to as long as the evidence presented in support of evolution is so weak!

These idiots have to be the dumbest of the dumb.

Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
07-12-2016, 06:47 AM
I applaud your efforts but trying to use logical arguments with a person who has abandoned logic for magic is usually a lost cause.

In real life I avoid these discussions because I am prone to want to throttle them.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
07-12-2016, 06:59 AM
As Muldoon said, "SHOOT HER!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2016, 05:05 AM
Yes, arguing with the congenitally moronic is a thankless task.

His quote-mining is lifted from that well-known paragon of scientific accuracy "Conservapedia". He even left the citation reference numbers in his post. You don't get much dumber than that.

He has also deleted a number of his own posts........presumably even he realised how idiotic they made him sound.

08-12-2016, 11:08 AM
I've long since stopped trying to even talk to people like that, because it's fruitless.

My stance is that if you are going to "deny" evolution because you claim there is insufficient evidence, then there is no way in hell you can believe in a god or creationism, because if you're being intellectually honest, you'd have to reject those since those areas have ZERO evidence. All the "evidence" for those things are either distortions of real science, "faith", or terribly emotional arguments. The Bible is not proof of any god, it's proof that someone else believed in a god and you're taking their word for it. The Earth, mountains, oceans, etc. are not proof of a creator, they are proof of.....the existence of the Earth, mountains, oceans, etc.

There is not once single thing a creationist believes in that hasn't been explained by science, other than when/where/why life started. And their answer isn't any better, because they just say "God did it" and end it there (not to mention scoffing at questioning where said God came from).
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
08-12-2016, 12:00 PM
I've given it a try but I'm not scientifically schooled. My ballet training didn't exactly prepare me to argue evolution or quantum mechanics Rolleyes however I've read a lot and know more than most Creationist idiots.

One thing that amazes me is their dislike of science in general. Yet here they are, on a computer which was invented and created by scientists and they scream about how skeptical they are of science. Talk about irony! And then think about this, many creationists have flown in a plane which uses the aerodynamics theory of flight, taken modern antibiotics based on the germ theory of disease, hopped in a car which also uses several scientific theories, used GPS which partially uses the theory of relativity. They don't have a problem with those nice little conveniences....oh no. The only scientific theory they seem to object to is the only one that clashes with their world view. What a bunch of dishonest morons.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
08-12-2016, 09:37 PM
[Image: Meme-134.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post