Creationist offers monetary reward for disproving the bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2013, 05:33 AM
RE: Creationist offers monetary reward for disproving the bible
(27-09-2013 05:15 AM)BnW Wrote:  Why does this have to be an evolution debate? The contest is to disprove the literal interpretation of the bible. You send out a few geologists who use radiometric dating of isotopes to show the earth is billions, not thousands, of years old and you're home by lunch time.

This assumes this "trial" has not stacked the deck with a creationist "judge" who will refuse to acknowledge scientific evidence.

The contest is whatever the guy setting up the contest decides it will be. Although it can billed as one thing, reality is it can be completely different.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2013, 05:35 AM
The problem is that disproving the 'literal' interpretation will be seen as proving the 'non-literal' version i.e. that their god's day = x billion years.

It's a trap.

And you are wrong, HJ. But you knew that.

27-09-2013, 05:37 AM
(27-09-2013 05:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  And you are wrong, HJ. But you knew that.

Wrong about what?
27-09-2013, 05:45 AM
I think it's pointless showboating. It's one thing when James Randi does it with a million dollar prize in an attempt to oust paranormal hucksters (as showboating is a part of their spiel). But science doesn't need to do this to 'prove' itself, it simply has the evidence that's available. The popularity of a propositions does not determine it's truth value.

This is religious posturing and nothing more than a vapid PR stunt. I honestly hope that nobody tries for it, as I can imagine it easily devolving into a Scopes trial level of circus like absurdity. Anyone that honestly accepts the challenge will be doing nothing but appearing to give their challenge a legitimacy it does not have nor deserve. I'd suggest we treat this similarly to how Richard Dawkins handled William Lane Craig; ignore them and starve them of attention that they desperately desire.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
27-09-2013, 05:59 AM
(27-09-2013 04:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  When will you baby-eating, devil-worshiping heathens get it into your thick skulls!

You can't disprove the bible.

Whether you like it or not...

The bible EXISTS!

Godamnit!

I want to officially adopt DLJ as my uncle. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
27-09-2013, 06:03 AM
Re: Creationist offers monetary reward for disproving the bible
The validity of this would be quite questionable.

But doesn't Genesis classify Bats as birds? The difference of a mammal and bird is definitely distinguishable.

And how plants can grow absent of starlight is quite a mystery.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-09-2013, 06:07 AM
(27-09-2013 05:37 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-09-2013 05:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  And you are wrong, HJ. But you knew that.

Wrong about what?

Wrong about evolution.

You clearly do not understand the evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-09-2013, 06:15 AM
(27-09-2013 06:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-09-2013 05:37 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Wrong about what?

Wrong about evolution.

I feel sorry for you Chas because it is you who doesn't really understand the evidence. There simply hasn't been a demonstration that evolution can produce a new species let alone the diversity in life seen today. Now I understand that you view the diversity of life seen today as evidence that evolution can produce the diversity of life seen today, but I on the other hand view such evidence as circular.

Now I believe evolution has produced the diversity of life we see today. But I don't live in some fanstasy bubble like you do and pretend something has been demonstrated when it hasn't.
27-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Re: RE: Creationist offers monetary reward for disproving the bible
(27-09-2013 06:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-09-2013 06:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Wrong about evolution.

I feel sorry for you Chas because it is you who doesn't really understand the evidence. There simply hasn't been a demonstration that evolution can produce a new species...

And that's actually wrong. But you continue to repeat the point ongoing.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
27-09-2013, 06:33 AM
(27-09-2013 06:26 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(27-09-2013 06:15 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I feel sorry for you Chas because it is you who doesn't really understand the evidence. There simply hasn't been a demonstration that evolution can produce a new species...

And that's actually wrong. But you continue to repeat the point ongoing.

If it has been demonstrated that evolution can produce a new species then you should be able to present that demonstration.

Now I believe in evolution so I am not arguing that evolution doesn't happen, or isn't the best explanation to explain the diversity of life we see today. I am only arguing that evolution has never been demonstrated as being capable of producing the diversity of life we see today.

If I am wrong it should be a cake walk for you to present a scientific experiment that shows that I am wrong. You won't because you can't because it hasn't been done.