Creationist view of vestigial organs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2014, 07:48 AM
RE: Creationist view of vestigial organs
Quote:Vestigial Organ Donor Card - why don't we see these?

Perhaps because the very definition of vestigial means there's effectively no need for them. It's not like anybody needs a life-saving appendix transplant.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2014, 07:54 AM
(17-09-2014 07:07 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  A biological anthropology group on face book that I follow posted the following link to a creationist website. It displays a straw man of what modern man would look like if we still had all of our vestigial organs. The result looks like a monster from tentacle hentai. I'm not kidding, the man looks like he is covered in dicks.

http://missinguniversemuseum.com/Exhibit6.htm

To a creationist the brain is a vestigial organ.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 7 users Like true scotsman's post
18-09-2014, 08:04 AM
(18-09-2014 07:48 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 07:28 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  It's neither adaptive or vestigial. They are just carry overs from similar development in the womb between the sexes. The evolutionary biologist and paleontologist Stephen J. Gould says the following in the attached paper (p. 83):

“Males and females are not separate entities, shaped independently by natural selection. Both sexes are variants upon a single ground plan, elaborated in later embryology. Male mammals have nipples because females need them—and the embryonic pathway to their development builds precursors in all mammalian fetuses, enlarging the breasts later in females but leaving them small (and without evidence function) in males.”

so what do the creationists say about it ? have they come up with a reason why the creator who always has a shitty plan for everything would give men nipples ?

Well, according to this creationist page, male nipples have purpose because they can be stimulated for sexual pleasure. They then use the scientific explanation provided by Gould to explain why males have nipples today. That's right, Adam was given nipples so he and Eve could have kinky nipple pulling sex, and then their offspring were born with nipples because fetuses follow the same developmental blue print in the womb. But why would Cain and Abel be born with nipples if they didn't have any sisters? If I remember correctly, the bible never explains where their wives came from.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
18-09-2014, 08:41 AM
Emus and Ostriches have external vestigial limbs. Does that count?

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
18-09-2014, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2014 08:52 AM by Chas.)
(18-09-2014 07:48 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
Quote:Vestigial Organ Donor Card - why don't we see these?

Perhaps because the very definition of vestigial means there's effectively no need for them. It's not like anybody needs a life-saving appendix transplant.

No, that is not the definition of vestigial - it's only part of it.

However, your comment is very clever. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
18-09-2014, 08:50 AM
Creationists understand neither vestigial nor evolution.

Any one who says "...one who just evolved by chance" is ignorant about evolution.

18-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Forums are for fun and fun is for forums, but even if most creationists/fundamentalists/religious people/most people now living/(insert whatever qualifier you choose here) are lacking education and/or willfully, stubbornly ignorant, does that mean there is no god? I find Christians saying that atheists are stupid are wrong, as atheists are highly intelligent, do you find that saying Christians are stupid (often, as on this forum?) strengthens your belief? How might you respond if a Christian visited this forum saw many mocking posts and threads, and said atheists are being rigid and self-defensive?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
18-09-2014, 02:18 PM
(18-09-2014 02:15 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Forums are for fun and fun is for forums, but even if most creationists/fundamentalists/religious people/most people now living/(insert whatever qualifier you choose here) are lacking education and/or willfully, stubbornly ignorant, does that mean there is no god?

That is not the argument. Their argument is that evolution is not true because god. But they straw man evolution.

Quote: I find Christians saying that atheists are stupid are wrong, as atheists are highly intelligent, do you find that saying Christians are stupid (often, as on this forum?) strengthens your belief?

What belief would that be?

Quote: How might you respond if a Christian visited this forum saw many mocking posts and threads, and said atheists are being rigid and self-defensive?

They already do.

18-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Once upon a time we tackled Intelligent RE-design and ideas that would have made more sense than those of that imaginary idiot who we are supposed to look like.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-RE-Design

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
18-09-2014, 03:05 PM
(18-09-2014 02:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 02:15 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Forums are for fun and fun is for forums, but even if most creationists/fundamentalists/religious people/most people now living/(insert whatever qualifier you choose here) are lacking education and/or willfully, stubbornly ignorant, does that mean there is no god?

That is not the argument. Their argument is that evolution is not true because god. But they straw man evolution.

Quote: I find Christians saying that atheists are stupid are wrong, as atheists are highly intelligent, do you find that saying Christians are stupid (often, as on this forum?) strengthens your belief?

What belief would that be?

Quote: How might you respond if a Christian visited this forum saw many mocking posts and threads, and said atheists are being rigid and self-defensive?

They already do.

One of us must misunderstand if you are saying evolution equals atheism? Most Christians are theistic evolutionists, no?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.