Creationist webpage: "ape-ancestry myth"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2015, 02:04 PM
RE: Creationist webpage: "ape-ancestry myth"
(19-08-2015 01:30 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  When someone like this guy puts so much crap into one place, it would take more time to go through line by line and point out the stupidity than to actually just go and learn about evolution from an actual scientist.

That is the big issue with groups like AiG too. One could spend 10x the amount of effort they do in refuting all their bullshit, but why? Creationists don't care to read the critiques and there are far better ways to educate the interested.

Excellent response

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
19-08-2015, 02:10 PM
(19-08-2015 02:00 PM)Learner Wrote:  
(19-08-2015 01:30 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  When someone like this guy puts so much crap into one place, it would take more time to go through line by line and point out the stupidity than to actually just go and learn about evolution from an actual scientist.

That is the big issue with groups like AiG too. One could spend 10x the amount of effort they do in refuting all their bullshit, but why? Creationists don't care to read the critiques and there are far better ways to educate the interested.

Hahaha, great point! Laugh out load

I agree with you. Personally, although I've read and done a fair amount of study already about evolution over the past year and a half (coming from a young-earth creationist background when I was a Christian), I'm not only continuing to grow in my understanding, but I think my approach is maturing a bit at a time. When I was a Y.E.C. and fundamentalist, there was skepticism toward anything that science said...because it's "just the word of man when we have the word of God." As an atheist with a budding interest in the natural sciences, my respect for the scientific community only continues to grow. So just at face value, some random guy's webpage is just the amount of blabbing and stupidity he can put out on his own, even if he's read a few things. The scientific community, on the other hand, deals with rigorously testing, falsifiability, peer review, no religious agendas, and when there's an agreement between various scientific disciplines, you know that something is scientifically solid (like man's descent from apes). When I first became an atheist, I think I needed time of looking up what creationists said about all the evolution stuff I was reading so I could then go look up the evolution rebuttals to the creationist rebuttals. But since I'm learning more and more to see through the bullshit, I have less interest at all in reading what creationists say just because it's wasted time and effort trying to understand wrong stupidity. I'd rather spend time just reading more evolution books and resources. And I don't think it's a case of "confirmation bias" to ignore any creationist webpages/articles/resources, but simply a firm admission that: (1) I'm an atheist, not a creationist who believe in God, (2) I know that the article was written by some person most likely not educated in the field they're writing an article about, and most likely working off of old resources and quote-mining and just plain making stuff up.

Thanks for your input.

It is easy to gravitate to such idiocy because it seems like such a soft target, but the reality is that it is a black hole. Once you understand what evolution is and isn't and you know how to differentiate between scientific information and pseudoscience bullshit, it becomes easy to browse through something like that guy's page and immediately understand he is full of shit.

One could spend a ton of time refuting him, but he ain't gonna listen. Instead, any textbook on evolution has already refuted him. Easy enough!

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
19-08-2015, 03:01 PM

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-08-2015, 05:24 PM
I too came from a Creationist background, and started learning from the philosophical position you did, Learner.

As you say, I eventually came to the realization that the Creationist line is just a lot of gobbletygook and distortion, and I eventually just ignored it. It did come in handy, after I switched my major to Biology (Chem and History double-minors), to read the Creationist line just to work at refuting it, in order to build my scientific literacy. Back then, I spent a lot of time in the Yahoo! Chat room "Evolution vs. Creationism", combating the YECs there.

Even now, I find it useful to keep an eye on the "latest" (as you say, most of it is old and regurgitated, but every so often, they stumble on something new to talk about) from the AiG crowd, not because I'm concerned that they might actually be on to something, but because their purpose is to "fool the common man", part of their Wedge Strategy based on the idea that if they just show a "controversy", most people will default to sticking with their upbringing and faith-tradition. So I learn the arguments in order to keep otherwise-honest people, who don't see why Christian leaders would lie, from falling for those lies.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
19-08-2015, 07:06 PM
(19-08-2015 08:42 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  [Image: laetoli.jpg]

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...is-fossil/

The location of the foramen magnum on the skull also provides support as to A. Afarensis's bipedality.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
19-08-2015, 11:18 PM
(19-08-2015 07:06 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(19-08-2015 08:42 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  [Image: laetoli.jpg]

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...is-fossil/

The location of the foramen magnum on the skull also provides support as to A. Afarensis's bipedality.

I put it more as a irony moment. They used that foot to say it is not human like, yet their is a toe bone like humans. It has ape like feet and human like toes, almost as if it was transitional in its feet. Still, nice observation thump.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
19-08-2015, 11:31 PM
(18-08-2015 01:31 PM)Learner Wrote:  I've recently been reading more trying to understand human evolution over the last 6 million years or so, and learning more about the various fossil evidence. (When I was a Christian, I believed in young-earth creationism. Since I've deconverted, I've been reading many books about evolution and learned a lot.) I was looking up graphs today showing the timetable for various human and related fossils that have been found tracing our lineage as humans. I came across some creationist's personal webpage where he has an article trying to poke holes in the mainstream view of human evolution (and, as is typical of creationists, all it seems he does is poke holes rather than present an alternate scientific theory of origins):

http://davidpratt.info/ape1.htm

I know there are many on this board far more knowledgeable than I and who like to tear lame arguments to shreds. Just curious for others' thoughts on this article as I'm pretty new to studying this topic and as I formulate some of my own thoughts from the reading I've done. Any help you could offer would be helpful as I learn more about human evolution. Thank you!

Why would I waste my time visiting his webpage???

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.