Creationists - a question of stars for you

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2012, 04:53 AM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2012 05:14 AM by Logisch.)
Creationists - a question of stars for you
Here's a fun thought for you.

Let's say in the book of genesis we take a literal translation and say that the heavens and the earth and the universe were all just created in 6 days and on the 7th day god rested. Which I hear people say, "I totally believe that!!"... all the time.....

Then... we move through the bible and everyone telling us in creation that the earth and the universe is only 6000 or so years old. "Well... maybe god's time isn't the same as our days" - well ok.. still this doesn't help me wrap my head around the age of LIGHT ITSELF.

How is it that we are able to see through telescopes, light and measurable science in detecting stars... stars that are hundreds of thousands and some MILLIONS of light years away?

Remember. The speed of light in a year traveled by distance is ... 5,878,625,373,183.6 miles. That is approximately 235,145,014x the ENTIRE CIRCUMFERENCE OF THE EARTH for perspective. That is only ONE light year.

It takes light 1 year to travel that far. Not like light is slow...

Let's say a star is 100,000 light years away. How is it, that if that star and the universe is only 6000 years old... that we can even see it? As far as light is concerned, we would not at this point even see it. So if the light has traveled from point a to point b (from the star to our earth) that means it has to have traveled at least 100,000 light years to get here. It took 100,000 years to get here (give or take). If the universe and the earth were 6000 years old, a star 100,000 light years away still has 940,000 light years to travel before it hits us. We're gonna be waiting a while.

So please explain to me then... if we can see them, detect them.. please explain to me how the age of 6000 or so... give or take a few thousand... could be even a marginal drop in the bucket regarding margin of error on the time scale of the distance light has traveled?

5,878,625,373,183.6 * 100,000 = 5.87862537 × 10 to the 17th MILES away.

If we are to assume we're only 6000 (or so) years old then technically, as time progressed, we would suddenly start seeing stars pop up all over the universe spontaneously within the 6000 (or so) light year radius around us, and as time progressed, holy cow, we would even see how stars are created! (assuming we would be seeing the creating of the universe unfold) - but that's not the case... we see stars that are there. Stars that just exist. Sometimes we've even spotted a supernova. That would indicate stars are much older than we would assume if we were to go off of the idea that the earth is ONLY 6000 years old (along with the universe, since after all, genesis suggests the stars were created after the earth).

Wrapping my head around the idea that a big rock popped into space, stars just sorta popped into space and then trying to explain with understanding the distance light must travel I must say... the distance would make no sense to me.

Just a thought.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2012, 06:50 AM
RE: Creationists - a question of stars for you
BTW: Typo on 100,000 light years - 6000 years - a star 100,000 light years away still has 94,000 light years to travel before it hits us. We're gonna be waiting a while.

In case anyone caught that awesome a.d.d. 0 mash on my keyboard. Haha, 100,000-6000=940,000! Time for more coffee to wake up.
20-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Three topics down.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
20-01-2012, 09:28 AM
That's the apologetics. I don't see anything in there regarding the math. Not sure how exactly I missed that thread. Well. Shit. It was about 2am though when I made it haha.

If a mod feels so, feel free to delete - i do not wish to clutter the forums with duplicates.
20-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Nah, it's cool. About the math, though... I'm pretty sure the apologetics blanket the math or ignore it.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]