Creationists on campus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2015, 01:50 PM
RE: Creationists on campus
(01-04-2015 06:03 AM)natachan Wrote:  I got another one that says that Darwin and evolution were directly responsible for the holocaust, but the photo won't upload.

So I go to a public university here in Oklahoma, and as such we have to let anyone who wants to come onto campus and put up their crap. Being in Oklahoma, we get all the crazies. This is just one of the preachers and groups that assault our campus with this shit.

I honestly don't know what to think of this. When I pointed out a few of the flaws, and genuinely began to question them, they started taking down the signs and packing up. I confronted them with what I know (which isn't a great deal, I flunked biology in high school because who the fuck can remember the names for all those parts?). When they pointed to things like trees growing through rock I offered to show them videos and papers explaining that. They shied away. When I told them that Genesis literally said the earth was a flat circular disk surmounted by a dome holding out water they denied that EVEN WHEN I PULLED OUT MY PHONE AND PLAYED THE AUDIOBOOK VERSE TO THEM.

When I told them that gaps do not provide evidence for god they didn't seem to understand that either. When I told them that even if everything we know about science was wrong it STILL wouldn't indicate god they insisted that it must mean god. When I explained that any theory of a god needed evidence on its own they pointed to gaps in science and misunderstandings. And when I pointed out that they had a false dichotomy, that the majority of Christians do accept evolution they claimed those weren't "true Christians."

So yeah, I had a fun day.

Why are they allowed to solicit like this on campus? Blink

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2015, 03:52 PM
(01-04-2015 01:50 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Why are they allowed to solicit like this on campus? Blink

A lot of colleges have areas where people are allowed to do stuff like this (they're usually called "free speech zones" or something similar). We get a decent number of street preachers at our local campus (including the one the OP saw, if he is indeed the person I'm thinking of). The local atheist group also sets up an "ask an atheist" table there once or twice a week.

I'm just thinking out loud.
01-04-2015, 03:57 PM
(01-04-2015 09:50 AM)natachan Wrote:  This one got me to call them dishonest.

[Image: 19627_944733648900094_373744011121238049...e=55B645D7]

"It would be unfair of us to compare modern evolutionists to evolutionary views in the past... but Darwin was a racist, the holocaust was the fault of evolution, blah blah blah..."

Gotta love how little care they put into presenting a consistent set of ideas. Rolleyes
02-04-2015, 05:41 AM
(01-04-2015 03:57 PM)Esquilax Wrote:  Gotta love how little care they put into presenting a consistent set of ideas. Rolleyes

If they did care, they wouldn't be religious.
03-04-2015, 05:08 AM
I liked the part where Darwin, who never heard of genes, believed in eugenics. Awesome.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
03-04-2015, 05:20 AM
I slowly begin to hate this place even more. A place that is ignorant yet calls itself informed, a place which slowly becomes dumb but says it is getting smarter. A place where science is evil yet is used when convenient. This place bothers me. It wants to get better but something won't let it. As creationism grows, scientific knowledge shrinks in this place. It will effect all, even those who are not creationist, in scientific knowledge. It might one day ruin science in this place forever.

In short:Stop this shit

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
03-04-2015, 08:00 AM
I don't think creationism as a belief is growing in strength. I think it has been steady decline for years. I am aware of the polls about the numbers of US adults who don't believe in Evolution and similar crap, but I'm also aware of polls that show Americans are trending away from religion. People under 30 are more likely to not affiliate with any religion, to not care about race and sexuality, and to take positions contrary to organized religion than any generation that preceded them.

The times, they are a changing. Slowly, steadily, inevitably we are rejecting the primitive philosophies that have held us back and caused so much misery. Much of the western world is heading the same way.

Sadly, the middle east isn't joining us on this journey and that's a big problem.

03-04-2015, 08:35 AM
It was distressing that I was the only one who stood out and called them liars. There were one or two who stopped and agreed with them (on a fucking college campus!). Most just ignored them.
03-04-2015, 09:12 AM
(03-04-2015 08:00 AM)BnW Wrote:  I don't think creationism as a belief is growing in strength. I think it has been steady decline for years. I am aware of the polls about the numbers of US adults who don't believe in Evolution and similar crap, but I'm also aware of polls that show Americans are trending away from religion. People under 30 are more likely to not affiliate with any religion, to not care about race and sexuality, and to take positions contrary to organized religion than any generation that preceded them.

The times, they are a changing. Slowly, steadily, inevitably we are rejecting the primitive philosophies that have held us back and caused so much misery. Much of the western world is heading the same way.

Sadly, the middle east isn't joining us on this journey and that's a big problem.

Both yes and no. As seen in this source it has decreased before just to grow again, just to shrink again. Not that creationism in america affects me but I just don't like the fact stupid has to be anywhere.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/21814/evoluti...esign.aspx

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
03-04-2015, 09:44 AM
This should make you feel better. The trend is going the right direction. It won't happen today or tomorrow but we are starting to trend the same way as Europe and will have a more secularized society.

[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post