Creator of facebook page that satirized dead Greek monk is sentenced to ten months

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Creator of facebook page that satirized dead Greek monk is sentenced to ten months
I don't know if anyone has heard about "Elder Pastitsios", a satirical figure based on Elder Paisios, a monk who is admired and almost worshipped here.

This is the only thing I can find in English:
http://www.enetenglish.gr/?i=news.en.politics&id=1710

This guy started a hilarious page about that monk (who is known for his "prophecies" and wisdom) pointing out all the flaws and stupid things he said. Soon enough, he was arrested and now he is sentenced to jail, although the sentence is suspended for three years.

According to the Greek constitution, it is illegal to insult the established religion. However, this monk was not God, he was not a saint, he was just a monk. Butthurt Christians all around Greece went on a crusade against him.

I feel bad for the poor guy. Many others have appeared in support after his page was closed down (like "Elder Myprecious" with Gollum's face). It's outrageous that things like satire should be illegal. Especially when this satire is aimed at a dead person.

And people still ask me why I'm against an established religion for my country Dodgy
I'm surprised they aren't arresting everyone who liked the page.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
16-01-2014, 02:26 PM
RE: Creator of facebook page that satirized dead Greek monk is sentenced to ten months
I tweeted the hashtag. Woo hoo. As if it matters.

You can take the egotistically-fathomed dogmatic moral system you call what "should be" and shove it up your asshole for thinking it's applicable to anyone but yourself.
[+] 1 user Likes JesusChrist's post
16-01-2014, 02:27 PM
RE: Creator of facebook page that satirized dead Greek monk is sentenced to ten months
Although I agree with freedom of speech, I have to say there should be some level of respect for the dead. Even if you don't agree with them, they are still human.
(not defending the jail sentence at all)

Atir aissom atir imon
16-01-2014, 02:35 PM
(16-01-2014 02:27 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Although I agree with freedom of speech, I have to say there should be some level of respect for the dead. Even if you don't agree with them, they are still human.

I can think of many dead people that don't deserve respect. Unless you don't make jokes about Hitler out of respect.

In any case though, ok, this guy wasn't so bad. But he supported every kind of quackery and gave medical advice that is, to say the least, dangerous. He also agreed with some of the worst Bible parts, like that women should remain silent.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
16-01-2014, 02:35 PM
(16-01-2014 02:27 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Although I agree with freedom of speech, I have to say there should be some level of respect for the dead. Even if you don't agree with them, they are still human.

Respect is earned. Even for dead guys.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
16-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Let me clarify "level of respect" as the "level of respect earned". Fair enough?

Atir aissom atir imon
16-01-2014, 03:11 PM

I strongly disagree with that principle.
They're dead.

... Dead.

You can take the egotistically-fathomed dogmatic moral system you call what "should be" and shove it up your asshole for thinking it's applicable to anyone but yourself.
16-01-2014, 03:14 PM
"Respect" is an opinion.

You can respect him, sure.

Jesus keeps it real, son.

16-01-2014, 03:16 PM
(16-01-2014 03:11 PM)JesusChrist Wrote:  

I strongly disagree with that principle.
They're dead.

... Dead.

I believe in that principle for two reasons:

1. Once you're dead, you're dead. The only thing that survives is your memory. Might as well keep it good (yes, varies among of course).
2. If you don't care about rule number one, then don't think about the dead person. Think about the surviving members of their family (assuming they have some). For example: Just because your son is a murderer doesn't mean you can't love them, but hate their choices. So then when people talk shit about him, will still hurt.

But with all that said, this is just my opinion, coming in part from how was raised. So take it or leave it, I could care less.

Atir aissom atir imon
16-01-2014, 03:19 PM
If you're "Hurt" from a comment it's your fault. Unless you disagree with Freedom of Speech, because your statements thereafter suggest the contrary.

There's no absolute terms to be spoken when discussing the topic of the dead. Period.