Credible News Sources

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2013, 08:39 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2013 10:25 PM by ridethespiral.)
Credible News Sources
With things heating up abroad yet again I would really like to know what the TTA community considers to be valid sources of news. I understand that all news is colored with opinion but this is more about reporting integrity and accuracy.

How This Thread Works

Just post your news sources and they will be added for consideration. Posters can vote for or against a source already on the list and they will be scaled as such. So if I added The Huffington Post and another poster gave it a + for accuracy/integrity I would add their + to the main listing:

Huffington Post+

From there if another user gave it the thumbs down I would return it to neutral:

Huffington Post

and if yet another poster questioned it's credibility it would be given a -:

-Huffington Post

Pretty simple right?

The List For Your Consideration

ABC News
Al' Jezeera
Alternet
The BBC
The Blaze
Bloomberg
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation(CBC)
CNN
The Christian Science Monitor
Democracy Now
Fox News
The Huffington Post
-Infowars
Mother Jones
National Geographic News
NBC News
NPR
The New York Times
The Raw Story
The Real News Network
Rueters
The Rolling Stone
-Russia Today
Salon
Science Daily
Science News
Truthout
The Washington Post
Yahoo News
The Young Turks Network

*some of the initial posts are shoe ins, others not so much. I'm pretty sure some are not credible at all but I would like to see what the consensus is. Please post your additional sources for inclusion.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2013, 08:47 PM
RE: Credible News Sources
Leaving off Infowars and Russia Today belies your western propagandist cocksucking sheeple fucker soul.
Yes

Also for reals you left off the CBC, who have been forced to cut almost all of their direct foreign correspondents due to our present government's ideological hatred of them, but manage to be a relatively unbiased facts-only outlet regardless.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
31-08-2013, 08:54 PM
I think it depends on not only what is reported, but what isn't is a big factor for me personally.

Some of the ones you have listed are part of big media conglomerates, with some news articles being repeated across multiple outlets.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
31-08-2013, 08:55 PM
(31-08-2013 08:47 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Leaving off Infowars and Russia Today belies your western propagandist cocksucking sheeple fucker soul.
Yes

Also for reals you left off the CBC, who have been forced to cut almost all of their direct foreign correspondents due to our present government's ideological hatred of them, but manage to be a relatively unbiased facts-only outlet regardless.

I can't figure out what the heck CBC stands for, Canadian Broadcast Company?

I'm adding supposedly disreputable sources posted by others with a -.

31-08-2013, 08:58 PM
1. Aaaaww, you added them in! Thanks, bro.

2. Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

EDIT:
http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca/en/explor...hat-we-do/

... this is my signature!
31-08-2013, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2013 09:09 PM by ridethespiral.)
(31-08-2013 08:54 PM)bemore Wrote:  I think it depends on not only what is reported, but what isn't is a big factor for me personally.

Some of the ones you have listed are part of big media conglomerates, with some news articles being repeated across multiple outlets.

Yeah I'm aware of that and I'm also aware of omissions and fluff reporting (CNN leading with Twerking and Prancercize over real news, etc). I'm kind of hoping that people up-rate the best investigative journals, Ie it should wind up looking like this:

The New York Times++++++++
The Huffington Post+++++
AlterNet
--The Blaze
--------InfoWars

The main purpose of the thread is so that we can be confident in making or challenging assertions, but maybe we can add some other indicators for added utility...

Indicators for Liberal or Conservative leaning

Badges to indicate areas in which each publication excels:

Science/Tech
Environmental
World News (maybe even by region?)
Financial News
Etc.

31-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Good idea, I'm always wondering about the trustworthiness of any given news outlet. Usually I just hit up google's news and take it in from various different sources. Not that it makes it any more trustworthy, but at least there's a mix.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
31-08-2013, 10:06 PM
[Image: Cenk-Uygur-of-the-Young-T-007.jpg]

I find your lack of The Young Turks disturbing.
01-09-2013, 05:47 AM
The Huffington Post is trash. Some examples.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertain...ost/23306/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-frank-l...86245.html

http://www.salon.com/2010/07/07/huffpo_antiscience/
01-09-2013, 10:37 AM
I have found that "Pro Publica" and "Global Research" publish some pretty damned reliable investigative journalism. Also, the "Rolling Stone" also published really reliable investigative articles - this surprises a lot of people.