Crescendo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2012, 01:14 AM
Crescendo
What is it about crescendos that make us so happy? Music, sight, touch, taste. I love how crescendos draw us in. A slow build in music is what we usually think of.

A story that gets more exciting and pivotal. The spiking taste of a delicious refreshment and the subdue after taste. A photo that draws your eye in to see that special focal point. A massage that starts off soft and gradually increases intensity.

Why are these things so satisfying for us? Does anyone here have any insight or speculation why this is so attractive to our senses? I've tried looking this up but have only found different bits and pieces.

I imagine this is from some evolutionary stand point where a hunt or chase builds up and the defeat brings a satisfaction. This reinforced over time is embedded. But this is a pure shot in the dark with no research or evidence, a wild guess.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like LadyJane's post
07-10-2012, 01:17 AM
Crescendo
Orgasms. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
07-10-2012, 01:58 AM
RE: Crescendo
(07-10-2012 01:14 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  What is it about crescendos that make us so happy? Music, sight, touch, taste. I love how crescendos draw us in. A slow build in music is what we usually think of.

A story that gets more exciting and pivotal. The spiking taste of a delicious refreshment and the subdue after taste. A photo that draws your eye in to see that special focal point. A massage that starts off soft and gradually increases intensity.

Why are these things so satisfying for us? Does anyone here have any insight or speculation why this is so attractive to our senses? I've tried looking this up but have only found different bits and pieces.

I imagine this is from some evolutionary stand point where a hunt or chase builds up and the defeat brings a satisfaction. This reinforced over time is embedded. But this is a pure shot in the dark with no research or evidence, a wild guess.

I simply believe an increasing pattern is one of the most easiest, and familiar patterns humans have ever needed to deal with. The build up also marks something important, as well as something of great appeal, or dread.

It is also the most predictable pattern, seeing as we know( with reasonable certainty) that it will keep increasing.

I see it as evolutionary indeed as well, but I am open to differing opinions in such manners.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
07-10-2012, 06:27 AM
"Variety is the spice of life". Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
07-10-2012, 06:45 AM
I think about 20% is the music and that the rest of it is what we add ourselves through experience, preference and emotions that we may feel at that moment.

Music is vibrations.... the world is made up of different vibrations... how this comes together I dont know, but I think it may add a factor.

I think the "crescendo" now for me in modern Electronica is when the bass drops.... the symphony of different sounds all leading up to that hypnotic beat..... the beat that gets you moving.

An example I give is this

Has a slow build up, the guitar starting the rythmn becoming a duet with the piano, then more samples are added becoming a symphony before at 1:06.... BOOM... this is all brought together by the huge impacting bass that eventually fades into a more "relaxed".... but increased tempo at 1:36. So the pace hasnt slowed, in fact it is building to its second crescendo at 2:19.

So to summarise I would say...

The emotional side...... Depending on what mood you are in music can enhance these.

The Beat.... Which is more "primitive" and hypnotic, I think this is the driving factor behind all music.... even classical which in a way has no beat, but has a sliding scale of tempo.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
07-10-2012, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 07:43 AM by DLJ.)
(07-10-2012 06:45 AM)bemore Wrote:  I think about 20% is the music and that the rest of it is what we add ourselves through experience, preference and emotions that we may feel at that moment.

Music is vibrations.... the world is made up of different vibrations... how this comes together I dont know, but I think it may add a factor.

I think the "crescendo" now for me in modern Electronica is when the bass drops.... the symphony of different sounds all leading up to that hypnotic beat..... the beat that gets you moving.

An example I give is this:

Has a slow build up, the guitar starting the rythmn becoming a duet with the piano, then more samples are added becoming a symphony before at 1:06.... BOOM... this is all brought together by the huge impacting bass that eventually fades into a more "relaxed".... but increased tempo at 1:36. So the pace hasnt slowed, in fact it is building to its second crescendo at 2:19.

So to summarise I would say...

The emotional side...... Depending on what mood you are in music can enhance these.

The Beat.... Which is more "primitive" and hypnotic, I think this is the driving factor behind all music.... even classical which in a way has no beat, but has a sliding scale of tempo.

Great example (grating for some, I'd guess) just a shame that the lyrics are so trivial.

I think you are right that there has to be a baseline (in the managment sense: a reference point) for the crescendo to have significance.

Ditties that end with a bang are also more dramatic (think anything from that beetmeister Beethoven). So, Mr Brown should have ended a few bars earlier with thump and an echoing silence (think Gangham style ending)

I use "peak / end" theory when I deliver training. The material is usually pretty dry so I find some euphoric peaks to add... one per day is usually enough ... and ending with an adrenaline pumping exam is a great crescendo.

A good example to explain this is a vacation: A vacation where everything is consistently perfect is actually less memorable than a vacation where most days are boring or average but there was one moment of glorious ecstacy in the middle and a really fantastic ending.

True?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
07-10-2012, 08:10 AM
There is absolutely no bloody way you can have a thread about music build up and not have dubstep.
So I'm here to remedy that situation.

Ahh now isn't that better.

As you were gentlemen.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
07-10-2012, 08:11 AM
(07-10-2012 08:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  There is absolutely no bloody way you can have a thread about music build up and not have dubstep.

As you were gentlemen.

I can't fucking stand Dubstep. The music is not for me... I just enjoy the oldies... From Rock to Classical.

I am an old man in a child's body, I guess.Drinking Beverage

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
07-10-2012, 08:35 AM
(07-10-2012 08:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  There is absolutely no bloody way you can have a thread about music build up and not have dubstep.

As you were gentlemen.

Muffs... my dear chap. You cannot throw people into the deep end with Skrillex (even though it has its own prime example of crescendo).... you have to break them in gently Wink

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
07-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Love that song.

And Ato, you are now dead to me. *evil glare*
Hates dubstep... Dodgy

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post