Cricket?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2017, 04:23 PM
Cricket?
Milady and I have just returned from a short trip overseas where our hotel was inundated with Cricket fans.

I thought American football fans were rabid. They've got nothing on Cricket fans! All, to a person, well-behaved and magnanimous, but boy they get worked up and excited when talking about their team!

Anyone here have any experience with Cricket? For the life of me I just can't figure it out.

[Image: 110826.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2017, 04:29 PM
RE: Cricket?
Crickets <-------

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
03-03-2017, 04:37 PM
(03-03-2017 04:29 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Crickets <-------

Dammit, you beat me to it.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
03-03-2017, 05:04 PM
(03-03-2017 04:37 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 04:29 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Crickets <-------

Dammit, you beat me to it.

That's pretty much all I know about Cricket. I shouldn't say that though. I watched Rick Steves, the travel guy on PBS, explain cricket and it looked like American baseball except it was played with a flat bat and only two bases. I think there's something about a sticky wicket? No, no, no, that's wrong. A sticky wicket is croquet.....I think. Huh

Someone from the UK needs to explain how cricket is played.

03-03-2017, 05:06 PM
(03-03-2017 05:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 04:37 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Dammit, you beat me to it.

That's pretty much all I know about Cricket. I shouldn't say that though. I watched Rick Steves, the travel guy on PBS, explain cricket and it looked like American baseball except it was played with a flat bat and only two bases. I think there's something about a sticky wicket? No, no, no, that's wrong. A sticky wicket is croquet.....I think. Huh

I don't think anyone know how it's played, they just go onto the field and do things.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
03-03-2017, 05:14 PM
(03-03-2017 05:06 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 05:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That's pretty much all I know about Cricket. I shouldn't say that though. I watched Rick Steves, the travel guy on PBS, explain cricket and it looked like American baseball except it was played with a flat bat and only two bases. I think there's something about a sticky wicket? No, no, no, that's wrong. A sticky wicket is croquet.....I think. Huh

I don't think anyone know how it's played, they just go onto the field and do things.

Laugh out load So true. And they get to wear sporty looking clothing while they're doing stuff.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
23-03-2017, 05:17 PM
Chirp Chirp Chirp!

...sorry had to Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
23-03-2017, 06:26 PM
Cricket has to be the most boring alleged team game in the history of boring things.

Basically, you've got 22 blokes dressed up in funny clothing standing around in a grassy paddock, minus any cows but often with seagulls.

But... only two of those blokes are actually doing anything productive—the one who throws the ball, and the one who attempts to hit it. The other 20 just stand around in some unfathomable locations around the paddock, and spend their time gazing skywards, or idly scratching their nuts.

The batsman if he's lucky hits the ball over a line at the edge of the paddock, another bloke in a funny hat sticks both his hands up, and amazingly, the batsman's team score goes up by six points—rather than the logical one you'd expect as in most other games. Why six? Fuck knows.

But if the ball hits the grass before it crosses the line, then the scoring team only gets four points. Again... why? Why not five... the fucking ball at least made it to the boundary line without being caught by one of the dopey other blokes standing around navel gazing.

Oh, and you always stop play to have a cup of tea. Most important.

But yeah; one can only conclude that cricket was obviously invented by the Poms in a moment of madness in the midday sun. Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
23-03-2017, 06:29 PM
(23-03-2017 06:26 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Cricket has to be the most boring alleged team game in the history of boring things.

Basically, you've got 22 blokes dressed up in funny clothing standing around in a grassy paddock, minus any cows but often with seagulls.

But... only two of those blokes are actually doing anything productive—the one who throws the ball, and the one who attempts to hit it. The other 20 just stand around in some unfathomable locations around the paddock, and spend their time gazing skywards, or idly scratching their nuts.

The batsman if he's lucky hits the ball over a line at the edge of the paddock, another bloke in a funny hat sticks both his hands up, and amazingly, the batsman's team score goes up by six points—rather than the logical one you'd expect as in most other games. Why six? Fuck knows.

But if the ball hits the grass before it crosses the line, then the scoring team only gets four points. Again... why? Why not five... the fucking ball at least made it to the boundary line without being caught by one of the dopey other blokes standing around navel gazing.

Oh, and you always stop play to have a cup of tea. Most important.

But yeah; one can only conclude that cricket was obviously invented by the Poms in a moment of madness in the midday sun. Big Grin

Brilliant. Laugh out load

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-03-2017, 06:33 PM
[Image: rnSYvPv.png]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin