Cricket?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2017, 07:43 PM
RE: Cricket?
I enjoy as good game of Crickett, but most of the the more advanced races in the galaxy find it rather distasteful.

Signed

Slartibartfast
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2017, 11:27 PM
(03-03-2017 04:23 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Anyone here have any experience with Cricket? For the life of me I just can't figure it out.
I played it from 9 through to 17.

I watched NZ beat the Aussies (under lights) in the Pool match at the world cup in Auckland, was a fantastic night.
24-03-2017, 04:47 AM
I enjoy watching cricket live, mainly as there is a lot of drinking involved! I'm off to watch England Vs Ireland some time in May later this year.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
29-03-2017, 11:41 AM
I really do enjoy cricket highlights on sports news. And I did see a T20 championship on a cruiseship that got ESPN Caribbean a few years back. The games were a lot of fun to watch. It's just that, for me, there are so many rules and especially lingo. I'm still learning basic things after 15 years of seeing it on TV.

I played a really simplified version during elementary phys ed. Scoring was just based on runs. I suppose if I were to do a hostile take over of an island nation, I'd just invent my own sport that involves cricket gear and a cricket pitch.
29-03-2017, 12:07 PM
(29-03-2017 11:41 AM)Skyhawk Wrote:  I really do enjoy cricket highlights on sports news. And I did see a T20 championship on a cruiseship that got ESPN Caribbean a few years back. The games were a lot of fun to watch. It's just that, for me, there are so many rules and especially lingo. I'm still learning basic things after 15 years of seeing it on TV.

I played a really simplified version during elementary phys ed. Scoring was just based on runs. I suppose if I were to do a hostile take over of an island nation, I'd just invent my own sport that involves cricket gear and a cricket pitch.
Noooo, then we would have the mess that is international rugby.
Rugby is threatened because there are so many flavours and no international standard. You have Rugby Union (real rugby), Grid Iron, Rugby League, Aussie Rules, perhaps even others still, which dilute the talent in each sport and dilute the support and market for each one.

I think cricket is quite a basic game, not hard to understand at all, but it does have it's own lingo.

You need a bowler to bowl a ball and you need two batters to hit the ball and run between the wickets (the sticks that the bowler bowls the ball at).
If the ball is bowled and hits the wicket and the bail comes off the wicket then the batter is out. Each team can have 10 outs. When a better is out they cannot bat again. So you need 11 batters because you can't just have one batter in play as you need two because they run from wicket to wicket while a bowler must bowl 6 legitimate balls for each over. In one day cricket each side faces at most 50 overs. If they lose all 10 batters then they may face less than 50 overs.
Runs are scored by either running between the wickets or by hitting the ball to the boundary (four runs) or over the boundary (6 runs). Some runs are given due to penalties (called extras) for no balls (bowler over stepping the line from where they must bowl behind) or wides (the bowler bowling the ball too far away from the wickets.
Batters can be given out by being bowled, being caught, being run out, having their legs get hit and obstructing the ball on its path towards the wickets (lbw leg before wicket).

There are some other rules but I think the above covers the gist of it. There are various terminology, (maiden over, bouncer, stumps, hat trick, yorker, duck, beamer, full toss, drive, pull, googly, swing, off cutter, leg break, doosra, square leg, point, silly mid on etc) but these things aren't important to the rules, they just allow the commentators to talk about the game.

If you have any questions about anything in particular I could try my best to answer.

EDIT: it can get confusing when people use the term "wicket" because it is often used in multiple different ways.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
29-03-2017, 01:43 PM
(29-03-2017 12:07 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(29-03-2017 11:41 AM)Skyhawk Wrote:  I really do enjoy cricket highlights on sports news. And I did see a T20 championship on a cruiseship that got ESPN Caribbean a few years back. The games were a lot of fun to watch. It's just that, for me, there are so many rules and especially lingo. I'm still learning basic things after 15 years of seeing it on TV.

Noooo, then we would have the mess that is international rugby.
Rugby is threatened because there are so many flavours and no international standard. You have Rugby Union (real rugby), Grid Iron, Rugby League, Aussie Rules, perhaps even others still, which dilute the talent in each sport and dilute the support and market for each one.

I think cricket is quite a basic game, not hard to understand at all, but it does have it's own lingo.

You need a bowler to bowl a ball and you need two batters to hit the ball and run between the wickets (the sticks that the bowler bowls the ball at).
If the ball is bowled and hits the wicket and the bail comes off the wicket then the batter is out. Each team can have 10 outs. When a better is out they cannot bat again. So you need 11 batters because you can't just have one batter in play as you need two because they run from wicket to wicket while a bowler must bowl 6 legitimate balls for each over. In one day cricket each side faces at most 50 overs. If they lose all 10 batters then they may face less than 50 overs.
Runs are scored by either running between the wickets or by hitting the ball to the boundary (four runs) or over the boundary (6 runs). Some runs are given due to penalties (called extras) for no balls (bowler over stepping the line from where they must bowl behind) or wides (the bowler bowling the ball too far away from the wickets.
Batters can be given out by being bowled, being caught, being run out, having their legs get hit and obstructing the ball on its path towards the wickets (lbw leg before wicket).

There are some other rules but I think the above covers the gist of it. There are various terminology, (maiden over, bouncer, stumps, hat trick, yorker, duck, beamer, full toss, drive, pull, googly, swing, off cutter, leg break, doosra, square leg, point, silly mid on etc) but these things aren't important to the rules, they just allow the commentators to talk about the game.

If you have any questions about anything in particular I could try my best to answer.

EDIT: it can get confusing when people use the term "wicket" because it is often used in multiple different ways.

It is worth mentioning that in one-day cricket each team has one innings while in longer games each side is entitled to two innings. An innings can be ended at any point if the captain of the batting side declares the innings closed.

[Innings is singular and plural in cricket usage, but not in baseball.]

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

09-05-2017, 09:13 AM
Went to a Cricket game this past Friday, (England Vs Ireland), and despite getting there a bit late [and it being a relatively short game] I'm getting more and more into it.

Still an excuse to have a drink if anything, but I'm enjoying more.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
09-05-2017, 09:19 AM
I've eaten crickets on numerous occasions. Does that count?

'Murican Canadian
20-05-2017, 07:20 PM
(03-03-2017 04:23 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Anyone here have any experience with Cricket? For the life of me I just can't figure it out.

I played cricket for my high school team. and trust me, it is not that difficult to understand
20-05-2017, 09:48 PM
Agreed. It's not complicated.

You have two sides.
One side is out in the field and one in.
Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.
When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.
Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.
When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

What's hard to understand about that?

The above originated as a tea-towel from the 1970s
[Image: 50633.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post