Crimes Stopped by having a Gun

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2013, 01:01 AM
RE: Crimes Stopped by having a Gun
(30-04-2013 03:24 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So since one of the main pro-gun arguments is the prevention of crime lets see what our tally is. I shall be a control since I have 0 guns and have only stopped about 10 crimes (all minor shoplifting related) so since being armed can prevent crimes I'm sure you all have many more heroics to relate.

It's difficult to determine an exact number, but there are plenty of cases where guns were used to stop violent criminals. In the right hands, a weapon can be extremely effective in a life threatening emergency.

Here a group of armed robbers, one carrying an AR-15, get schooled on gunplay by an armed homeowner.

Here, an armed robber attempts to rob a hotel clerk. He learned the hard way that a staff member had a CCW permit and a Glock 23 on his person that night.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 01:06 AM
(01-05-2013 01:01 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 03:24 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So since one of the main pro-gun arguments is the prevention of crime lets see what our tally is. I shall be a control since I have 0 guns and have only stopped about 10 crimes (all minor shoplifting related) so since being armed can prevent crimes I'm sure you all have many more heroics to relate.

It's difficult to determine an exact number, but there are plenty of cases where guns were used to stop violent criminals. In the right hands, a weapon can be extremely effective in a life threatening emergency.

Here a group of armed robbers, one carrying an AR-15, get schooled on gunplay by an armed homeowner.

Here, an armed robber attempts to rob a hotel clerk. He learned the hard way that a staff member had a CCW permit and a Glock 23 on his person that night.

Wanna rob a tax preparation business? You better think twice if the owner has an AR-15 on the premises.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

01-05-2013, 01:13 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 01:28 AM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
This being said, because you have a gun for self defense, you are not allowed to play vigilante. This Texas homeowner nearly wound up in prison for his zealotry.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

01-05-2013, 03:29 AM
Cool stories bro so what's your count? I mean it must be dozens right, cause like the more guns you have the better you are at being batman or something, right? I mean thats the argument guns stop crimes so how many have your guns stopped?

BTW yes this thread is tongue in cheek because it's a stupid argument thrown out with no real proof and just as much of a red herring as the ammo thread that was started a few days ago.

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
01-05-2013, 10:18 AM
you'll never guess the top stolen item...
[/quote]

Is it gum? That was the one and only thing I've stolen. I think I was 6 and mom said no, so I took it. She caught me. Must be the #1.

(01-05-2013 01:13 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  This being said, because you have a gun for self defense, you are not allowed to play vigilante. This Texas homeowner nearly wound up in prison for his zealotry.

Doesn't work! I need to see the texas homeowner massacre gone wrong!
01-05-2013, 11:12 AM
(01-05-2013 03:29 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Cool stories bro so what's your count? I mean it must be dozens right, cause like the more guns you have the better you are at being batman or something, right? I mean thats the argument guns stop crimes so how many have your guns stopped?

BTW yes this thread is tongue in cheek because it's a stupid argument thrown out with no real proof and just as much of a red herring as the ammo thread that was started a few days ago.

It's a red herring to make a direct argument against a proposal by another member? And then it isn't to demand numbers for something there are no reliable statistics on, then dismiss any singular examples out of hand and claim you weren't serious.

Well, when your argument is based on emotion and you've already decided presuppositionally that the people on the other side must be ignorant rednecks, you might as well post bullshit, right?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
01-05-2013, 11:22 AM
(01-05-2013 11:12 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 03:29 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Cool stories bro so what's your count? I mean it must be dozens right, cause like the more guns you have the better you are at being batman or something, right? I mean thats the argument guns stop crimes so how many have your guns stopped?

It's a red herring to make a direct argument against a proposal by another member? And then it isn't to demand numbers for something there are no reliable statistics on, then dismiss any singular examples out of hand and claim you weren't serious.

Well, when your argument is based on emotion and you've already decided presuppositionally that the people on the other side must be ignorant rednecks, you might as well post bullshit, right?

When have I ever been emotional in a gun argument? Actually I can save you some time in what you did with TBD and state flat out that Yes I would ban all guns if it was in my power. I believe the 2nd amendment was never intended for personal gun ownership (I am aware the supreme court disagrees just stating my opinion). I also believe that all pro gun arguments are selfish in nature based on the wants of a few vs the safety of all of society. As my prime example I submit Australia a nation not dissimilar to the USA and was recently (relatively speaking) disarmed by Fiat their results are pretty damning to the pro gun side so they immediately switch to Guns stop crime which is what this thread is about. That argument is so stupid that it warrants parody.

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
01-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Meh. Here is a crime I stopped :eyeroll:

[Image: QKQeTS1.jpg]
[Image: PFVxROO.jpg]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
01-05-2013, 11:53 AM
I've never seen any reliable estimates for crimes prevented by gun, and those that were carried out successfully because of a lack of guns.

The statistics from the states with the highest gun ownership, do show that people claim to use their guns to prevent/deter threats on their own property. That however works both ways since most of the time, it is the owner pulling the gun that escalates the issue. Ergo, someone shows up to their ex's house to start an argument, and the owner pulls out a gun when it was not necessary. The result of states with high gun ownership? High numbers of accidental gun accidents, increased rates of gun injury, and elevated suicide by firearm.

Doesn't sound like a fair trade to me Drinking Beverage

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
01-05-2013, 12:11 PM
(01-05-2013 11:12 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Well, when your argument is based on emotion and you've already decided presuppositionally that the people on the other side must be ignorant rednecks, you might as well post bullshit, right?

Seems to work for you. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post