Crimes Stopped by having a Gun

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2013, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 01:14 PM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
RE: Crimes Stopped by having a Gun
(01-05-2013 10:18 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  you'll never guess the top stolen item...

Is it gum? That was the one and only thing I've stolen. I think I was 6 and mom said no, so I took it. She caught me. Must be the #1.

(01-05-2013 01:13 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  This being said, because you have a gun for self defense, you are not allowed to play vigilante. This Texas homeowner nearly wound up in prison for his zealotry.

Doesn't work! I need to see the texas homeowner massacre gone wrong!
[/quote]

Yeah something got screwed up with the link, LJ. This should work for you.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 01:39 PM
There are many cases of an armed person stopping a criminal. Statistics are hard to find.

Article #1
Article #2
Article #3

I am 5'4", 145 lbs., and not young. I live in a rural setting, my house is not visible to neighbors, my property abuts 500+ acres of public land.

In a medical emergency, the response to my 911 call was about 15 minutes. That was when the police arrived; the ambulance followed a couple of minutes later.

Had this been a break-in and I was able to call 911, I would have been in mortal danger for that amount of time.

I have the right to defend myself, and a gun is the best tool for the job.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2013, 02:19 PM
(01-05-2013 01:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  There are many cases of an armed person stopping a criminal. Statistics are hard to find.

Article #1
Article #2
Article #3

I am 5'4", 145 lbs., and not young. I live in a rural setting, my house is not visible to neighbors, my property abuts 500+ acres of public land.

In a medical emergency, the response to my 911 call was about 15 minutes. That was when the police arrived; the ambulance followed a couple of minutes later.

Had this been a break-in and I was able to call 911, I would have been in mortal danger for that amount of time.

I have the right to defend myself, and a gun is the best tool for the job.

It is statistically improbable you will ever find yourself in such a situation in which you would need to defend yourself against an assailant armed with a firearm considering your location, not even considering the fact that you are more probable to be killed by your own firearm before you are able to do so. I do not even want to debate about how rare it would also be for the average thief to actually kill you, since their reasoning for even possessing a firearm would simply be to coerce you into handing your belongings over. You are more likely to be killed if you provoke the criminal in the first place.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
01-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Re: Crimes Stopped by having a Gun
That's not exactly how statistics work. Those stats apply to what has already occurred. It doesn't actually predict what Chas may or may not encounter.

Based upon the statistics, it could be said that the likelihood of incident is miniscule and that the likelihood of an accident is higher if he owns a gun than if he doesn't. But neither means absolutely certain or uncertain.
01-05-2013, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 02:36 PM by Logica Humano.)
(01-05-2013 02:24 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  That's not exactly how statistics work. Those stats apply to what has already occurred. It doesn't actually predict what Chas may or may not encounter.

Based upon the statistics, it could be said that the likelihood of incident is miniscule and that the likelihood of an accident is higher if he owns a gun than if he doesn't. But neither means absolutely certain or uncertain.

Nor am I saying that the results are absolute. I am merely stating what outcome is more probable given numerous other cases. It is the same as applying statistics to one's driving habits and how one is more likely to crash during a specific period of the day. Nothing is ever certain, but events can certainly be more probable than others.

Poonjab
01-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Probabilities still describe the previously recorded data. An occurrence is only either 1 or 0. Probabilities say if it has been closer to one or the other in the past. This can then be used to make decisions based on our past observations.

The probability of incident is negligibly small. So, my time is better spent not worrying or preparing for it in any way that is obsessive. The probability of an auto accident during rush hour is higher than average, I use this information to guide me towards being more defensive when I drive.
01-05-2013, 02:49 PM
(01-05-2013 02:43 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Probabilities still describe the previously recorded data. An occurrence is only either 1 or 0. Probabilities say if it has been closer to one or the other in the past. This can then be used to make decisions based on our past observations.

The probability of incident is negligibly small. So, my time is better spent not worrying or preparing for it in any way that is obsessive. The probability of an auto accident during rush hour is higher than average, I use this information to guide me towards being more defensive when I drive.

Again, I fail to see how this contradicts what I have previously stated. Not only did I make it clear that they were statistical probabilities or improbabilities based on records, but I also stated that it there is no absolute. Those statistics were simply provided to dissuade Chas' somewhat unrealistic position on self-defense in the same manner one tells a person with amaxophobia that one is more likely to die plugging an electrical device in a socket than one is to even experience a near-fatal car collision.

Poonjab
01-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Because you can't actually say you are more or less likely to do something based on statistics. The future does not rely upon the past in any way we can predict.

It's a semantics argument, but the wording is often a necessary step to first getting the point across in the best way.
01-05-2013, 03:02 PM
(01-05-2013 02:52 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Because you can't actually say you are more or less likely to do something based on statistics. The future does not rely upon the past in any way we can predict.

It's a semantics argument, but the wording is often a necessary step to first getting the point across in the best way.

Dodgy I don't appreciate debating about the placement or numerous meanings of words. Stupid Engrish language.

Poonjab
01-05-2013, 03:07 PM
(01-05-2013 02:19 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  It is statistically improbable one will ever find one's self in such a situation in which one would need to defend one's self against an assailant armed with a firearm, especially in a location like yours, not even considering the fact that one is more probable to be killed by one's own firearm before one is able to do so. I do not even want to debate about how rare it would also be for the average thief to actually kill, since the common reasoning for even possessing a firearm would simply be to coerce their victim into handing their belongings over. One is more likely to be killed if one provokes the criminal in the first place.

Fixed Dodgy

Poonjab