Crimes Stopped by having a Gun

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2013, 08:12 PM
RE: Crimes Stopped by having a Gun
5 year old give riffle for birthday kills 2 yo sister

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 08:26 PM
(01-05-2013 08:12 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  5 year old give riffle for birthday kills 2 yo sister

They left out the part where the 2 year old was stealing his piggy bank.
01-05-2013, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 08:33 PM by TheGulegon.)
(01-05-2013 08:12 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  5 year old give riffle for birthday kills 2 yo sister

I guess if the guns weren't there to steal she'd have never had to worry about defending herself against 3 home invaders, right?

01-05-2013, 10:32 PM
(01-05-2013 03:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 02:19 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  It is statistically improbable you will ever find yourself in such a situation in which you would need to defend yourself against an assailant armed with a firearm considering your location, not even considering the fact that you are more probable to be killed by your own firearm before you are able to do so. I do not even want to debate about how rare it would also be for the average thief to actually kill you, since their reasoning for even possessing a firearm would simply be to coerce you into handing your belongings over. You are more likely to be killed if you provoke the criminal in the first place.

It is not more probable that I will be killed by my own firearm - you are once again misusing statistics.

If an armed intruder shows up, he gets shot. There will be no coercion by him or provocation by me.

OR what would have been simply an armed robbery turns into a mini shoot out with either you or them dead.

It's not the amount of crime that is the issue. There will always be criminals.
We have very strict gun laws here and very little guns on the streets, yet we still have crime.
The issue is the severity of that crime. When you go from a baseball bat to a gun you up the severity of that crime dramatically.

That's the issue I have with it.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
01-05-2013, 10:49 PM
If that 11 year old from the above video were to have her gun replaced with a baseball bat the likelihood of her being overpowered by 3 older boys would increase significantly, even if one of them didn't have a gun! What on Earth could 3 teenage boys think to do to a subdued young lady? Leave her untouched after making away with the stolen firearms, I'm sure.

02-05-2013, 12:54 AM
That girl... something about the way she describes what happened makes me think the guys were gone or leaving before she even got the gun.
02-05-2013, 09:23 AM
(01-05-2013 03:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 02:19 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  It is statistically improbable you will ever find yourself in such a situation in which you would need to defend yourself against an assailant armed with a firearm considering your location, not even considering the fact that you are more probable to be killed by your own firearm before you are able to do so. I do not even want to debate about how rare it would also be for the average thief to actually kill you, since their reasoning for even possessing a firearm would simply be to coerce you into handing your belongings over. You are more likely to be killed if you provoke the criminal in the first place.

It is not more probable that I will be killed by my own firearm - you are once again misusing statistics.

If an armed intruder shows up, he gets shot. There will be no coercion by him or provocation by me.

I see you conveniently skipped over my revised statement.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
02-05-2013, 09:27 AM
(02-05-2013 09:23 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 03:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  It is not more probable that I will be killed by my own firearm - you are once again misusing statistics.

I see you conveniently skipped over my revised statement.

I tried to warn you Drinking Beverage

Evolve
02-05-2013, 11:14 AM
(02-05-2013 12:54 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  That girl... something about the way she describes what happened makes me think the guys were gone or leaving before she even got the gun.

It does sound a bit fishy,but the scenario is still there to review. Little girl -vs- 3 teenage boys. What would anyone reading this have her defend herself with against those odds?
Here's another try then

02-05-2013, 11:31 AM
(02-05-2013 09:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 09:23 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I see you conveniently skipped over my revised statement.

I tried to warn you Drinking Beverage

You said nothing about his avoiding my revision.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab