Crimes Stopped by having a Gun

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2013, 11:34 AM
RE: Crimes Stopped by having a Gun
(02-05-2013 11:31 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 09:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I tried to warn you Drinking Beverage

You said nothing about his avoiding my revision.

he probably had your initial post pulled up shortly after you made it, and had been working on a reply up to the point you revised it. Simply put, he missed it.

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2013, 11:35 AM
(02-05-2013 11:34 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 11:31 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  You said nothing about his avoiding my revision.

he probably had your initial post pulled up shortly after you made it, and had been working on a reply up to the point you revised it. Simply put, he missed it.

I will see if he addresses the revision before proceeding further.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
02-05-2013, 11:40 AM
...poop

02-05-2013, 11:43 AM
(02-05-2013 11:40 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  ...poop

Ohmy I can't believe someone would just come to shit on a thread like that.

Did you find the numbers you were looking for?

Evolve
02-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Wink Yes, unfortunately. There's alot of shit, everywhere Tongue

02-05-2013, 12:24 PM
(01-05-2013 08:12 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  5 year old give riffle for birthday kills 2 yo sister

I heard about that. It made me cry. That little boy, along with his parents are going to live with that for the rest of their lives.

Sad

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

02-05-2013, 12:37 PM
(02-05-2013 09:23 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 03:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  It is not more probable that I will be killed by my own firearm - you are once again misusing statistics.

If an armed intruder shows up, he gets shot. There will be no coercion by him or provocation by me.

I see you conveniently skipped over my revised statement.

I see no substantive difference between your statements.

You, yet again, make an assumption about the probabilities based on your misunderstanding of statistics.

If someone assaults me with a deadly weapon, I will defend myself with deadly force.
If someone has a gun, I must assume that he is willing to use it - there is no other reasonable response.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2013, 12:41 PM
(02-05-2013 12:23 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Wink Yes, unfortunately. There's alot of shit, everywhere Tongue

It can be quite mind-boggling when you first get them. And of course, you download them in yearly sets, and it includes more categories than you need. So compiling a single data set takes some time.

Evolve
02-05-2013, 12:46 PM
(02-05-2013 12:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 09:23 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I see you conveniently skipped over my revised statement.

I see no substantive difference between your statements.

You, yet again, make an assumption about the probabilities based on your misunderstanding of statistics.

If someone assaults me with a deadly weapon, I will defend myself with deadly force.
If someone has a gun, I must assume that he is willing to use it - there is no other reasonable response.

He has a point. Your revised version still uses mistaken wording and is an improper use of probabilities.

As a result, he is indeed correct in pointing out the flaws and not giving your statement any weight.

It is akin to a creationist splitting evolution into the terms of "microevolution" and "macroevolution." They then use "microevolution" to mean evolution, and then use legit arguments when arguing for its validity. But have muddied the water by coining the term "macroevolution." They get ignored because the words themselves demonstrate a lack of knowledge on the subject. Their vernacular disqualifies them from serious consideration. And that is what happens when someone uses the wrong set of terms around statistics and probabilities, they get ignored or passed over.

Evolve