Crimes of the British Empire

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2014, 02:16 PM
RE: Crimes of the British Empire
(06-10-2014 01:50 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(02-08-2014 11:20 AM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  The British felt Superior to others (imho)

Well of course they did, because they WERE. Just like the Romans were. Just as the United States are now. It always seems to be the victors ambition and naivety that encourages the downfall.

We in Britain have a lot to thank the Romans for even though their quest of imperialism caused a whole shit tonne of evil, just like ours did. I'm sure there are nations that have lots to thank the British Empire for too.

Well, in fairness, much of the positives the Roman Empire brought to the British Isles were left to rot after the Romans pulled out...

Apart from the roads of course...

The ancient Britons pretty much reverted back to Celtic tribalism until the Saxons invaded, and they more or less united against the common enemy.

It took around 1500 years for Europe to regain the technological and intellectual progress that was lost when the Roman Empire collapsed.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Quote:It took around 1500 years for Europe to regain the technological and intellectual progress that was lost when the Roman Empire collapsed.

No it didn't...

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
07-10-2014, 12:06 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2014 12:11 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(06-10-2014 11:36 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:It took around 1500 years for Europe to regain the technological and intellectual progress that was lost when the Roman Empire collapsed.

No it didn't...

[Image: TechnologicalAdvancementGraph.jpg]

Europe didn't match and surpass the achievements of the Greeks and Romans until the Renaissance. 1500 is a stretch, but there was most assuredly a huge gap in time between the start of the decline and fall of the Roman Empire in the late 4th century and the start of the Renaissance in the 14th century.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-10-2014, 12:59 AM
Well you'll have to forgive me if I don't accept your graph that shows a sudden (and huge drop) in the year 550 AD back to technological and scientific equivalent of the late period Egyptians and remains as such, with absolutely zero advancement, until the 1400's.
And how does that graph quantify scientific advancement? People didn't just over night suddenly stop using plows or suddenly forget how to smelt iron. That graph is wrong and misleading. Obvious Atheist propaganda graph is obvious.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
07-10-2014, 01:14 AM
(07-10-2014 12:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  And how does that graph quantify scientific advancement?

Could be rate of new discoveries? But ja, looks rather propaganda-ish.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-10-2014, 01:16 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2014 04:20 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(07-10-2014 12:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Well you'll have to forgive me if I don't accept your graph that shows a sudden (and huge drop) in the year 550 AD back to technological and scientific equivalent of the late period Egyptians and remains as such, with absolutely zero advancement, until the 1400's.
And how does that graph quantify scientific advancement? People didn't just over night suddenly stop using plows or suddenly forget how to smelt iron. That graph is wrong and misleading. Obvious Atheist propaganda graph is obvious.

Muffs, the graph is not scientific. If you notice, there are no actual values on the Y axis. But it illustrated a point quickly and easily in a visual manner; the point being that after the fall of the Western Roman Empire, Europe regressed and stayed at a mostly pre-Roman standard of living for a millennium; and a lot of this can be laid at the feet of Christianity. Philosophy and science died in Europe, but managed to survive and indeed thrive in the Eastern Roman Empire (aka the Byzantine Empire) and the Middle East. After the Western Roman Empire collapsed, it was the Arabs that preserved the writings and teaching of the Greek philosophers and mathematicians while adding contributions of their own (like the concept of zero), while the Gauls and the Visigoths fought in squalor over the burnt remnants of a once great civilization. The Roman infrastructure that had been used to improve the lives of it's citizens (like roads, sewers, and aqueducts) were either destroyed or fell into disrepair, and nothing was built again to truly match them until the Renaissance.

There is a damn good reason why that time in history is referred to as the Dark Ages, because for all intents and purposes, the lights of civilization went out; so much so that there was hardly anybody around with enough education and resources to actually record anything. People stopped recording history, which is why we know more about first century Rome and Judea than we do about 7th century Gaul.

[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-10-2014, 06:16 AM
(06-10-2014 01:08 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Hahahahaha piss off!

By the way I am anti-imperial and I detest what my country use to be but I just had to point out that if you are making a claim that the British empire were as bad or worse than the nazis then you have to concede that the Third Reich did something moral and just, at least in one nation.. I can't think of any.

They invented the assault rifle.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2014, 07:28 AM
(07-10-2014 06:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  ...

... and the holiday camp.

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
07-10-2014, 11:35 AM
(07-10-2014 06:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 01:08 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Hahahahaha piss off!

By the way I am anti-imperial and I detest what my country use to be but I just had to point out that if you are making a claim that the British empire were as bad or worse than the nazis then you have to concede that the Third Reich did something moral and just, at least in one nation.. I can't think of any.

StG (Sturmgewehr) 44

[Image: Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1979-118-55,_Infan...ehr_44.jpg]

10-10-2014, 08:57 AM
I keep hearing recently about how the British empire apparently "come in and split India apart", but I'm pretty sure that Pakistan and The Republic of India are two countries, but Goa, Maratha, Mysore, Mughal, Calcutta, Punjab, etc etc etc were a hell of a lot more than 2 countries, so I don't know where the idea is coming from.

I also used to hear a lot about how "Britain invented the concentration camps!" which used to just warrant the response "Look up The Roman Empire", but now they say "Nazi Death Camp" instead, so if you start talking about the Crimea refugee camps they are like "What side was crimea in WWII????", so I don't think any response really matters anymore.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.