Crimes of the British Empire

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2014, 12:36 PM
RE: Crimes of the British Empire
(07-10-2014 01:16 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 12:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Well you'll have to forgive me if I don't accept your graph that shows a sudden (and huge drop) in the year 550 AD back to technological and scientific equivalent of the late period Egyptians and remains as such, with absolutely zero advancement, until the 1400's.
And how does that graph quantify scientific advancement? People didn't just over night suddenly stop using plows or suddenly forget how to smelt iron. That graph is wrong and misleading. Obvious Atheist propaganda graph is obvious.

Muffs, the graph is not scientific. If you notice, there are no actual values on the Y axis. But it illustrated a point quickly and easily in a visual manner; the point being that after the fall of the Western Roman Empire, Europe regressed and stayed at a mostly pre-Roman standard of living for a millennium; and a lot of this can be laid at the feet of Christianity. Philosophy and science died in Europe, but managed to survive and indeed thrive in the Eastern Roman Empire (aka the Byzantine Empire) and the Middle East. After the Western Roman Empire collapsed, it was the Arabs that preserved the writings and teaching of the Greek philosophers and mathematicians while adding contributions of their own (like the concept of zero), while the Gauls and the Visigoths fought in squalor over the burnt remnants of a once great civilization. The Roman infrastructure that had been used to improve the lives of it's citizens (like roads, sewers, and aqueducts) were either destroyed or fell into disrepair, and nothing was built again to truly match them until the Renaissance.

There is a damn good reason why that time in history is referred to as the Dark Ages, because for all intents and purposes, the lights of civilization went out; so much so that there was hardly anybody around with enough education and resources to actually record anything. People stopped recording history, which is why we know more about first century Rome and Judea than we do about 7th century Gaul.

Debatable.

The misologist strain in Christian thought is not to be understated, but it is likewise true that wholesale societal collapse will have some consequences independent of religions and religious hierarchies. Church organisations post circa 600 were de facto preservers of knowledge and learning by dint of sole survival; secular and lay education did not really re-emerge for several hundred years (the odd Carolingian renaissance notwithstanding).

The Arab golden ages were the 11th and 12th centuries - immediately after their conquests the lands of Egypt or Anatolia were as shattered and unstable in the 8th and 9th centuries as much of the west. Indeed, that the Arabs had more classical texts as references is rather due the greater numbers of literary works surviving in Greek in the east, and that is due to the overall higher population and literacy of the eastern Roman world than the western Roman world...

Case in point, architecture. It wasn't until the Ottoman days that anything surpassed the Hagia Sophia, just as it wasn't until the Gothic era that the Romans were finally outdone, the prevailing architectural standard being the catch-all "Romanesque" in much of western Europe from late antiquity through the high middle ages...

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
10-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Yea, what he said.

[Image: oscar.png]
11-10-2014, 02:14 PM
(07-10-2014 06:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 01:08 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Hahahahaha piss off!

By the way I am anti-imperial and I detest what my country use to be but I just had to point out that if you are making a claim that the British empire were as bad or worse than the nazis then you have to concede that the Third Reich did something moral and just, at least in one nation.. I can't think of any.

They invented the assault rifle.

I never knew that! Though it is still not moral or just. I think one thing I can think of is banning tobacco, but again this points to a restraint of freedom and so does not appear just.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.