Critical Thinking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Critical Thinking
Hi folks,
I would like to compile a list of fine books/textbooks on Critical Thinking. Basically because I want to educate myself, but it might also be of help to others looking for "enlightenment".

I have searched the forum to the best of my ability, but haven't found threads adressing this topic specifically. If there already exist such a thread, please lead me in the right direction.

Please write a few words about the strengths and weaknesses on the book you have in mind. Don't forget author(s) and title. It would also be of interest to know if the book leans toward a specific audience, i.e. students of science, sosial sciences, health and psychology, and so forth.

Textbooks come in new editions ever so often, and purchasing earlier editions can save you a lot of money. So it would be nice to know if earlier editions can still be recommended, or if you loose out on a whole lot of important stuff.

Thanks in advance!

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2015, 12:43 PM
RE: Critical Thinking
I think here might be a place to start.

It's a long thread, but you can skim parts.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ce-Library

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Hi Harvey.

I can't say that I've ever read a book specifically on critical thinking all on its own. Typically it's incorporated into other subjects. The closest I've come is a book that my grandfather had from back when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth on propaganda. No idea what the title was or who wrote it but a quick search of that term on Amazon brings up a lot of similar looking results.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
09-01-2015, 12:57 PM
I agree, I don't know if there are books that do that, but I remember this video by Doc Boghosian, it's a crash course:

http://youtu.be/A7zbEiNnY5M

I think there are certain books that can kick start your critical thinking for you. For me, reading the God Delusion really made me take a long hard look at the indoctrination I suffered and it got me to question everything.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2015, 01:09 PM
A few possibilities...

I'm just finishing re-reading "Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking" by Daniel Dennett. It covers a lot of things to watch for in arguments and ways to pull hem apart and find the hidden assumptions and misdirections. "The Mind's I", "Conciousness Explained", and "The Intentional Stance" are all on my reading list because I've heard good things about them but haven't gotten them yet.

"How the Mind Works" by Stephen Pinker was also decent but it's been a while and I need to go back and read that again. He's another author that I've had recommended multiple times for various books on the general subject area.

"Innumeracy" by John Allen Paulos explains how easily we can be fooled by not having a good grasp of numbers and statistics.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
09-01-2015, 01:59 PM
If you apply critical thinking to itself, you get a contradiction.

Truth seeker.
09-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Critical thinking seems to be part of degree courses these days, which means there are textbooks available. Two that I've seen that are good and complimentary to each other are:

Nosich, G. (2001). Learning To Think Things Through Pearson.
Brown, N. & Keeley S Asking The Right Questions - A Guide to Critical Thinking Pearson

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
09-01-2015, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2015 05:00 PM by Harvey.)
(09-01-2015 12:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think here might be a place to start.

It's a long thread, but you can skim parts.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ce-Library

Thank you! I have read the first post and browsed through the rest. Excellent list of resources, but not exactly what I was looking for.

(09-01-2015 12:57 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I agree, I don't know if there are books that do that, but I remember this video by Doc Boghosian, it's a crash course:

http://youtu.be/A7zbEiNnY5M

I think there are certain books that can kick start your critical thinking for you. For me, reading the God Delusion really made me take a long hard look at the indoctrination I suffered and it got me to question everything.

Thanks! Excellent lecture, but I want the books!

(09-01-2015 01:59 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  If you apply critical thinking to itself, you get a contradiction.

Actually not. You get deeper understanding.

(09-01-2015 02:48 PM)gofish! Wrote:  Critical thinking seems to be part of degree courses these days, which means there are textbooks available. Two that I've seen that are good and complimentary to each other are:

Nosich, G. (2001). Learning To Think Things Through Pearson. Brown, N. & Keeley S
Asking The Right Questions - A Guide to Critical Thinking Pearson

My point exactly, and thank you for the titles! Critical thinking/Analytical thinking/Critical reasoning are taught at colleges and universities all over the US. They use textbooks.

If you search Amazon for critical thinking (in Books), you get 60,124 results. If you search YouTube for lectures on critical thinking you get 4,420 results.

There must be someone in this forum who have personal experience from college or university.

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
09-01-2015, 05:11 PM
(09-01-2015 04:54 PM)Harvey Wrote:  There must be someone in this forum who have personal experience from college or university.

Well there's me...finished another course just recently and these were the standard texts.

I have these books and they are great little primers on the subject. Very straightforward, very readable. Should be required reading for all students - that way we won't need an atheist forum. Wink

What else do you want to know?

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
09-01-2015, 06:31 PM
I have not had a chance to read these James Randi books just yet, but they are on my short list:

Flim-Flam! Psychics, ESP, Unicorns, and Other Delusions

The Faith Healers

I don't think his book would be a scholastic breakdown of skeptical thinking, but a real-world application of skeptical thinking used to debunk the actual lunacy that abounds out there.

Randi's a street fighter against woo.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post