Critical Thinking: Learned Behavior or Naturally Inclined

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2016, 11:16 PM
Critical Thinking: Learned Behavior or Naturally Inclined
I would like to know what you think about the mind and critical thinking skills. Are they intrinsic to some and learned to others or are they natural to humans but can be overridden by indoctrination at least for a while? As in some people have it and some just don't.

There are people like me who've never bought into the god delusion.
There are some who've bought it for a while and left it at young adulthood.
There are some who come to it late in life, usually because their indoctrination was early and the family pressure extreme.
Obviously there are many who never come to critical thinking when it comes to religion.

If it's just learned behavior, how have some never believed the dogma, even at a very early age?

Also, is religious dogma the only BS you didn't buy into?

I never bought into the racist thing. My parents were racist and vocal about it but I never agreed. I had black friends from kindergarten up. I wasn't allowed to go to their house or them to mine but we were friends all through school. I also had Hispanic friends in high school. People were people, some nice, some not.

The sexist crap didn't wash either. I never felt "less than" because I was a girl but maybe that was because I was a tomboy and did anything the boys could do.

Are these things also critical thinking issues? Have you always been a critical thinker?

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2016, 11:29 PM
RE: Critical Thinking: Learned Behavior or Naturally Inclined
I think it's a mixture of both in each person, with each person somewhere on the continuum between either extreme.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
09-02-2016, 11:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2016 07:39 AM by yakherder.)
Either and/or.

Though I will say this. Learning what the scientific method of analysis is and how it works doesn't seem to have much to do with getting people to apply it to every day life once they put the textbook down.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
09-02-2016, 11:39 PM
Somewhat innate, somewhat learned. You gotta have the cognitive stuff there before you can learn it, and some people are bright enough to figure out that e.g. parents aren't always right, so they learn the basic principles by trial and error.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-02-2016, 12:21 AM
(09-02-2016 11:16 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I would like to know what you think about the mind and critical thinking skills. Are they intrinsic to some and learned to others or are they natural to humans but can be overridden by indoctrination at least for a while? As in some people have it and some just don't.
It's about utilising the best means at your disposal to comeup with something other than "I Don't Know".

It's why we are so easily fooled by anecdotal stories.
My Auntie's brother rubs vicks on his feet and without fail he gets over colds and flu's really quickly.
My neighbor had children going through teething and they used an amber necklace and their kids didn't have any problems sleeping.

Well, if we don't have any scientific research with regards to these things then we resort to less strong evidence, we are still tempted to come to conclusions rather than to admit IDK.

With regards to the gods, the sellers of the god theory quickly tell people that their god is invisible and undetectable. They then instill fear that if you know about their god but don't believe then you will burn for eternity in hell. They then work to lower your self confidence, telling you that the human mind is limited and flawed. They then tell you that "blessed are those who have not seen and yet believed", they then try and get you to admire and "love" Jesus, they then tell you that they and only they know the way to Jesus, and that you are to obey them, they then put their hand out and get you to give generously.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
10-02-2016, 12:41 AM
I don't know the answer to this question. All I know is this. I thought religion was bullshit when I was 4 or 5. The first time I encountered it.

I have no idea what that means.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
10-02-2016, 01:47 AM
(09-02-2016 11:16 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I would like to know what you think about the mind and critical thinking skills. Are they intrinsic to some and learned to others or are they natural to humans but can be overridden by indoctrination at least for a while? As in some people have it and some just don't.

I think it's both. People born with such ability but if it is not honed then it vanish. And, yes I would say that indoctrination can override critical thinking in some areas.

(09-02-2016 11:16 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  If it's just learned behavior, how have some never believed the dogma, even at a very early age?

Some may have not been indoctrinated. Or it was tradition not genuine belief. Also I don't think it's only learned.

(09-02-2016 11:16 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Also, is religious dogma the only BS you didn't buy into?

No. I never bought nationalism as there is no sense in being proud of achievements that aren't my own. Also there is nothing special in nation that I was born into. I also don't buy patriotism, especially verbal and loud one which I often hear in Poland. Dying for country is stupidity and claiming that one will do it where is no real danger of such happening is just pathetic. To be honest polish patriotism is - or should be - easily dismissed by any thinking person - being doomed moral victor who worship the failures of uprisings and considering oneself as defender of the cross is - or again, should be - thing of unenlightened past.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
10-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Intelligence and critical thinking can be learned and developed.

Stupid, is irreversibly hardwired.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
10-02-2016, 09:47 AM
It's amazing though. There are scientists, intelligent people mind you, who still buy into religion. Dr. Francis Collins who headed the Human Genome Project and who admitted that evolution is a fact is still a bible believing Christian. And he's not the only one. Go figure.

I wasn't exposed to religion or a god concept when I was a kid so my brain wasn't washed with the Jesus shit. When I finally learned who Jesus was supposed to be it sounded like fairytale time to me, not so much because of critical thinking but because I recognized imaginative storytelling when I heard it. Although, now that I think about it maybe that was a type of critical thinking on my part. It wasn't the scientific method though, it was more of a process of elimination.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-02-2016, 09:52 AM
(10-02-2016 09:47 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  It's amazing though. There are scientists, intelligent people mind you, who still buy into religion. Dr. Francis Collins who headed the Human Genome Project and who admitted that evolution is a fact is still a bible believing Christian. And he's not the only one. Go figure.

I wasn't exposed to religion or a god concept when I was a kid so my brain wasn't washed with the Jesus shit. When I finally learned who Jesus was supposed to be it sounded like fairytale time to me, not so much because of critical thinking but because I recognized imaginative storytelling when I heard it. Although, now that I think about it maybe that was a type of critical thinking on my part. It wasn't the scientific method though, it was more of a process of elimination.

People have a tendency to only venture into their neocortex when they perceive a complex problem in need of a solution. Those irrational beliefs they don't perceive as problematic are safely tucked away elsewhere.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post