Critical Thinking Resources

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2017, 12:38 AM
Critical Thinking Resources
I would like to study critical thinking. I want to learn about things like arguments from ignorance, circular reasoning, ad hominem attacks, etc.

I find it all fascinating so can anyone recommend some good sources (books, videos etc) please?

Thank you

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like SeaJay's post
07-04-2017, 12:52 AM
RE: Critical Thinking Resources
Here's an introductory crash course on the subject.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 9 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-04-2017, 01:03 AM
If you'd prefer a more personal and narrative take, the story of one mans journey through faith and his struggles to square what he knew with what we was taught to believe while growing up. Maybe following along with his journey and reasoning will show you something you hadn't yourself thought of. Coming from a deconverted Christian, I appreciated his perspective, as it was an experience outside of my own (myself never being raised to be very devout). It may speak to you on a different level than it did to me, especially his deconversion, an emotional turmoil that I wouldn't wish on anybody.

Why I Am No Longer A Christian by Evid3nc3 on YouTube

[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-04-2017, 01:11 AM
Rule #1:
Dont believe every #### EK is telling you. Tongue

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
07-04-2017, 01:27 AM
(07-04-2017 01:11 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Rule #1:
Dont believe every #### EK is telling you. Tongue

[Image: 69511715.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
07-04-2017, 01:30 AM
I think it's awesome you are taking the time to learn!

I have a beginner's guide to logical fallacies on my website here, and I have several videos I can post for you if you're interested.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2017, 04:15 AM
(07-04-2017 12:38 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I would like to study critical thinking. I want to learn about things like arguments from ignorance, circular reasoning, ad hominem attacks, etc.

Since I personally prefer books, I will recommend Thinking from A to Z by Nigel Warburton, which concisely covers the major fallacies.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
07-04-2017, 04:24 AM
Thanks all for this

I've watched most of the videos and they are great. I especially liked the deconversion videos as they dealt directly with, well, deconverting. That was interesting.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
07-04-2017, 04:55 AM
(07-04-2017 12:38 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I would like to study critical thinking. I want to learn about things like arguments from ignorance, circular reasoning, ad hominem attacks, etc.

I find it all fascinating so can anyone recommend some good sources (books, videos etc) please?

Thank you

The Atheist Experience show is available on Youtube and podcast, they have a lot of shows and you get to see Christian arguments in the wild, where people call the show and give their reasons for believing. Matt Dillahunty is often the one that dismantles philosophical arguments and you'll get a good sense of what tactics and arguments they like to use, you'll pick up on these logical fallacies as you watch these arguments get dismantled.

Matt Dillahunty has his own channel where he explains numerous philosophical arguments:

I'm encouraged that you are watching videos and reading, by immersing yourself in learning about the fallacious reasoning of those that argue for a god, I think eventually your emotions will catch up to your reasoning, at some point you will be truly convinced that these arguments are silly and you find them laughable, you realize mentally and emotionally that it is no different than being told about monsters under your bed as a kid.

Darkmatter2525 is also a great channel:

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
07-04-2017, 08:08 AM
(07-04-2017 01:30 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I think it's awesome you are taking the time to learn!

I have a beginner's guide to logical fallacies on my website here, and I have several videos I can post for you if you're interested.
Thanks Rob. I subscribed to your channel