Critical Thinking Resources

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2017, 10:03 PM
RE: Critical Thinking Resources
(07-04-2017 12:38 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I would like to study critical thinking. I want to learn about things like arguments from ignorance, circular reasoning, ad hominem attacks, etc.

I find it all fascinating so can anyone recommend some good sources (books, videos etc) please?

Thank you

Hello, SeaJay. Logically Fallacious by Bo Bennett may be of interest to you. Here's a link to some of his stuff

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2017, 11:54 PM
(07-04-2017 10:03 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 12:38 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I would like to study critical thinking. I want to learn about things like arguments from ignorance, circular reasoning, ad hominem attacks, etc.

I find it all fascinating so can anyone recommend some good sources (books, videos etc) please?

Thank you

Hello, SeaJay. Logically Fallacious by Bo Bennett may be of interest to you. Here's a link to some of his stuff
Thank you Kernel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
08-04-2017, 09:05 AM
(07-04-2017 04:55 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

Thank you

The Atheist Experience show is available on Youtube and podcast, they have a lot of shows and you get to see Christian arguments in the wild, where people call the show and give their reasons for believing. Matt Dillahunty is often the one that dismantles philosophical arguments and you'll get a good sense of what tactics and arguments they like to use, you'll pick up on these logical fallacies as you watch these arguments get dismantled.

Matt Dillahunty has his own channel where he explains numerous philosophical arguments:

I'm encouraged that you are watching videos and reading, by immersing yourself in learning about the fallacious reasoning of those that argue for a god, I think eventually your emotions will catch up to your reasoning, at some point you will be truly convinced that these arguments are silly and you find them laughable, you realize mentally and emotionally that it is no different than being told about monsters under your bed as a kid.

Darkmatter2525 is also a great channel:

Thank you for the links Inquisition, much appreciated

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
11-04-2017, 05:49 AM
Can anyone recommend a good introductory book to Philosophy please?

11-04-2017, 08:27 AM
You don' need no steekin' videos an books.
You can eat your want to smarts.
http://www.alligator.org/news/campus/art...963f4.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
11-04-2017, 10:58 PM

Thank you

Now this is admirable. I always respect this kind of statement and request.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
11-04-2017, 11:03 PM
(11-04-2017 05:49 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Can anyone recommend a good introductory book to Philosophy please?

I don't have as much time as I would like. So instead I put this on while I work.

Youtube channel Academy of Ideas

They cover many different philosophers what their ideas are, and explore the ideas.

I also recommend Carl Sagan's book Demon Haunted World

It's important to know the relationship between philosophy and science. The two are closely related, and tied together in many different ways, but they are also very different disciplines. In the end, philosophy can really tell you nothing about the world, it can only tell you about yourself, and to an extent your relationship to the world. Science was born from philosophy however it's methodology focuses on telling us only what is factually true about the world, in the end it can't really tell you anything about yourself, or your relationship to the world (in any philosophical sense anyway, it just deals with facts, that's it)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
11-04-2017, 11:23 PM
(07-04-2017 11:15 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 11:09 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Another error which occurs because of ignorance of concepts.

Religious and political people especially struggle with this problem, because they are trained with loaded terminology.

Religions also teach their followers to run away from logic, learning, and critical thinking.

First thing the church tried to teach me "Thou shalt not question thy lord your god" or something like that, maybe it was test, but their usage translated to that regardless. Questions were always met with anger and hostility. "You think too much" was a phrase I heard often, a phrase I still hear too often.

I could write a fucking encyclopedia backing this up with statements in the media (aka pastors and vocal christians on TV), from sermons ect

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
12-04-2017, 01:15 AM
(11-04-2017 11:03 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 05:49 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Can anyone recommend a good introductory book to Philosophy please?

I don't have as much time as I would like. So instead I put this on while I work.

They cover many different philosophers what their ideas are, and explore the ideas.

It's important to know the relationship between philosophy and science. The two are closely related, and tied together in many different ways, but they are also very different disciplines. In the end, philosophy can really tell you nothing about the world, it can only tell you about yourself, and to an extent your relationship to the world. Science was born from philosophy however it's methodology focuses on telling us only what is factually true about the world, in the end it can't really tell you anything about yourself, or your relationship to the world (in any philosophical sense anyway, it just deals with facts, that's it)
Thank you for the link Jesse (I subscribed).

I agree about the differences between Philosophy and Science (good descriptions). Before I delve deep into science, I'd like to sort my 'self' out. I need to know why it is I believe this and that, I need to be aware of any defects in my thinking so I can better trust my judgements going forward and I want to be able to see through other people's defective reasoning. I have realised for a long time that I am not really sure who I am so (and I know this sounds cliched) I feel I need to 'find' myself. If that makes sense.

For the record, I am fascinated by Evolution and Biology, but my passion lies in Astronomy - of which I know next to nothing. Still, I hope to buy a telescope later this year in an attempt to get familiar with the universe.

Thank you again for the links

[+] 2 users Like SeaJay's post
12-04-2017, 01:49 AM
(12-04-2017 01:15 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 11:03 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I don't have as much time as I would like. So instead I put this on while I work.

Thank you for the link Jesse (I subscribed).

I agree about the differences between Philosophy and Science (good descriptions). Before I delve deep into science, I'd like to sort my 'self' out. I need to know why it is I believe this and that, I need to be aware of any defects in my thinking so I can better trust my judgements going forward and I want to be able to see through other people's defective reasoning. I have realised for a long time that I am not really sure who I am so (and I know this sounds cliched) I feel I need to 'find' myself. If that makes sense.

For the record, I am fascinated by Evolution and Biology, but my passion lies in Astronomy - of which I know next to nothing. Still, I hope to buy a telescope later this year in an attempt to get familiar with the universe.

Thank you again for the links

as cliche as it may be, everyone feels at one point or another that they are lost and need to "find" themselves.

It's a good goal, my advice. Learn structure, make lists of the order in which you want to consider topics. As you learn you may change that order. But a structured learning environment will likely accelerate your studies. Never be afraid to ask questions, and never be afraid to be wrong. Take pride when you are wrong, not that you were wrong, but that you now recognize your error and have the well-being and strength of character to instantly modify your errors and continue to push forward. The more you dig trenches to protect a wrong thought or idea the more painful it will be when you are finally forced to come to terms with reality.

Your thoughts and ideas are not your identity. Don't hold on to them so tightly because you fear giving them up will destroy your identity. Personally I hold onto values that through exploration of myself I have learned are unchangeable within me. Those feelings and thoughts are very basic and primal and are the most real parts of who I am. Find those things, like Empathy, Self respect, Honesty, things like that. Not complex ideas, keep it simple Empathy can be preserved and employed even if you are forced to change what you previously thought were core parts of your identity. This is how you find yourself, and see the world at the same time. Without loosing yourself in the process.

At least that's what I think, and that's my advice.

Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post