((( Critical Thinking is the Way )))

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2017, 10:58 AM
RE: ((( Critical Thinking is the Way )))
Jsamuel, I suspect you are a conflicted Catholic trying to rationalize the portions of your theism that you're still clinging to, with the parts that you aren't clinging to. I deduce you are either Catholic or your faith of origin is Catholic because of your interest in holy water and conspiracy theories about the Pope. I deduce that you are attempting to be a rationalist but your combination of rejecting well-established and proven scientific explanatory frameworks (scientific theory of evolution) and rejecting at the same time Biblical inerrancy, the inspiration claims for the Book of Mormon, and atheism, is a confused and self-contradictory mix.

You do not have the grasp of reason, evidential standards, the scientific method, and logic that you think you do. I suggest you take a more humble stance and learn from the people here who are wiser than you, which is most of them. This is no insult, it is great that you realize the importance of critical thinking. That is step one. Step two is to understand what truly critical thinking is, and step three is correctly applying it. To get past step one you have to understand that the implication of critical thinking is that it will push you at times in the direction of uncomfortable truths. The blocking factor would be a greater commitment to avoiding uncomfortable conclusions than to following the evidence where it leads.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2017, 10:59 AM
At work.

Laugh out load

I haven't been about this forum for that long but, believe you me Jsamuel. .... you are in NO way the weirdest thing either in this forum or others.

Now... a poster with the hande 'Zardoz' and their water powered, magnetically flying Land-rover. They were TRULY 'touched'.

Thumbsup
17-01-2017, 11:03 AM
(17-01-2017 10:49 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 10:41 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Let us know when you decide you want to reply to what people have actually said. Right now, you seem to be having a conversation with your imagination's portrayal of what people have "said". Dodgy

The guy states he doesn't blindly believe anything then, without skipping a beat,
says that "man is an ape". This tells me this guy needs to think more clearly about what he believes.
I'm not seeing the problem. Try reading the reasons he gave. You're simply repeating the same things over and over and ignoring the posts that address what you're repeating.

Furthermore, this...
(17-01-2017 10:49 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  The guy states he doesn't blindly believe anything then, without skipping a beat,
says that "man is an ape".

...does not logically lead to this:
(17-01-2017 10:49 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  This tells me this guy needs to think more clearly about what he believes.
(as I already pointed out to you).

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
17-01-2017, 11:03 AM
AT WORK.

(17-01-2017 10:56 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 10:53 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Thumbsup

Not a bad reply to myself Jsamuel (Who might be made of wood and has a tail). Bravo.

I am still confused though. Consider

As stated before... you accept viroligy on the one hand..... but disregard evolution on the other?

I am confused as to this 'Double standard' in regards to science.

Consider

You and your friggin fancy words. Okay, I'll play along, but only if you spell them correctly, try again.

I'm on a touch screen. Time zone 4:00 AM. AND BUSY.

What you read is the best I have.

Thumbsup

I await your reply to my previous question/post.
17-01-2017, 11:04 AM
(17-01-2017 10:53 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Thumbsup

Not a bad reply to myself Jsamuel (Who might be made of wood and has a tail). Bravo.

I am still confused though. Consider

As stated before... you accept viroligy on the one hand..... but disregard evolution on the other?

I am confused as to this 'Double standard' in regards to science.

Consider

Yes, rants about holy water for bacterial strains that have been scientifically proven to be in there. Says will no longer touch holy water. Does not put "belief" in science as to do such is "blind faith."

[Image: funny-gifs-Deserve-a-facepalm.gif]
17-01-2017, 11:08 AM
(17-01-2017 10:54 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  I've been around the Internet block. You probably thought I was an easy mark
because in certain ways I come off like a creationist. However, now you realize
I am not quite like anything you have seen here before.

PROVE ME WRONG!!!

Invite someone else who is just like me to post on this topic thread.
I would most certainly like to meet such a person in this forum.

[Image: 8GZVf4S.jpg]

Not really that unique. We've had many like you on here actually. But if it makes you feel better:

[Image: tumblr_m7s2w9VpnG1r4uuwto1_1280.gif]
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
17-01-2017, 11:12 AM
(17-01-2017 10:54 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  ...
I am not quite like anything you have seen here before.

PROVE ME WRONG!!!

Invite someone else who is just like me to post on this topic thread.
I would most certainly like to meet such a person in this forum.

Sad to say we've seen plenty like you before.

They're fun to cat'n'mouse with for a while but we get bored with them, then they get frustrated and leave...

... tail between wooden legs.

Drinking Beverage

17-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Jsamuel, atheists do not believe (blindly) that there was no intelligent designer involved in the creation of the universe, we don't make this assumption.

Humans evolving from an apelike creature does not automatically means anything about an intelligent designer, and surely does not rule out all (if any) deities involved in the creation of the universe, there are even many theists who accept the theory of evolution by natural selection.

We are not interested in proving negatives for every single imaginable possibility to explain an event, that would be unfeasible (not to say outright impossible), while it is possible to rule out certain kinds of god-like entities by evaluating the absence of evidence in specific cases when we can safely presume the positive would provide evidence, that would still be a huge energy sink.

We focus only on following where the evidence seems to lead us, without drawing logic-jumpy conclusions from it like "super-cosmic entity X might be just it!"

To explain even better, if you asked me this questions, those would be your answers:

An intelligent cosmic godly being designed the universe?
R: I don't know.

There's reason to believe that it did?
R: No there's not.

And for the sake of comparison:

A Huge Pink Dildo monster designed the universe?

Well, technically the Pink Dildo Monster origin is more probable because we do have examples of Dildos in reality that we can interact, some even being Pink making for a way stronger case than a completely unprecedented kind of entity who possess incomprehensible infinite attributes and powers.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
[+] 4 users Like Velvet's post
17-01-2017, 11:17 AM
(17-01-2017 11:15 AM)Velvet Wrote:  Jsamuel, atheists do not believe (blindly) that there was no intelligent designer involved in the creation of the universe, we don't make this assumption.

Humans evolving from an apelike creature does not automatically means anything about an intelligent designer, and surely does not rule out all (if any) deities involved in the creation of the universe, there are even many theists who accept the theory of evolution by natural selection.

We are not interested in proving negatives for every single imaginable possibility to explain an event, that would be unfeasible (not to say outright impossible), while it is possible to rule out certain kinds of god-like entities by evaluating the absence of evidence in specific cases when we can safely presume the positive would provide evidence, that would still be a huge energy sink.

We focus only on following where the evidence seems to lead us, without drawing logic-jumpy conclusions from it like "super-cosmic entity X might be just it!"

To explain even better, if you ask me those questions, there would be your answers:

An intelligent cosmic godly being designed the universe?

And for the sake of comparison:

A Huge Pink Dildo monster designed the universe?

Well, technically the Pink Dildo Monster origin is more probable because we do have examples of Dildos in reality that we can interact, some even being Pink making for a way stronger case than a completely unprecedented kind of entity who possess incomprehensible infinite attributes and powers.

So you're saying the Pink Dildo Monster vibrated for our sins? Tongue Laugh out load
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
17-01-2017, 11:19 AM
(17-01-2017 09:59 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  

I mean, just look at these college students. They are like little grade school kids. They are not critically thinking about ANYTHING they are being taught. It's disgraceful!!!

Colleges should be encouraging ruthless critical thinking, not blind faith belief in science, for crying out loud!!!

The difference between your belief and the students in your video that you criticize is, with some fairly basic equipment, these students can actually SEE evolution happening under a microscope. You yourself, if given enough technical knowledge could also do this experiment. If you had enough knowledge you yourself could sequence DNA.

And also, even if there were no proof of evolution that doesn't automatically mean "god did it" by default. Your positive claim of a deity must also be provided.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post