((( Critical Thinking is the Way )))

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2017, 06:04 PM
RE: ((( Critical Thinking is the Way )))
(17-01-2017 05:55 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Sorry, guys, I've been away all day. Gotta pay the bills.

I skipped right from Page 1 to (what is for me) Page 7...

I'm just going to assume someone ripped him a new one over the assertion that we have no evidence, no proof of our evolution and shared ancestry with the Great Apes, and explained to him why the assertion of "intelligent" agency in evolution is a non-starter?

If not, please let me know and I'll go back and read as-necessary.

Here's a quick rundown (and JS correct me if I'm wrong on your views):

*He doesn't like holy water because it has bacteria in it.
*He doesn't like science because we are being led by blind faith.
*I don't think he's against evolution per se (although, I've skimmed a few of his posts). He doesn't think that evolution means there wasn't an intelligent designer.
*He's using the double-slit experiment t to explain God.
*Oh and atheists are stupid. Hobo
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
17-01-2017, 06:07 PM
Velvet - I see. Thanks. But it doesn't actually address his assertion that there's no evidence for our shared/common ancestry with the Great Apes.

Jsamuel - If you would like to be disabused of your ignorance, I am a retired biologist and would be happy to walk you through the evidence. If you'd prefer not to listen to me alone, I can cite to a Christian Evangelical who formerly headed the Human Genome Project or to a Catholic professor of evolutionary biology at Brown University, an Ivy League school.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
17-01-2017, 06:07 PM
(17-01-2017 06:04 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 05:55 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Sorry, guys, I've been away all day. Gotta pay the bills.

I skipped right from Page 1 to (what is for me) Page 7...

I'm just going to assume someone ripped him a new one over the assertion that we have no evidence, no proof of our evolution and shared ancestry with the Great Apes, and explained to him why the assertion of "intelligent" agency in evolution is a non-starter?

If not, please let me know and I'll go back and read as-necessary.

Here's a quick rundown (and JS correct me if I'm wrong on your views):

*I don't think he's against evolution per se (although, I've skimmed a few of his posts). He doesn't think that evolution means there wasn't an intelligent designer.

I'd say that openly denying that there's proof we share common ancestry with apes is denial of evolution.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
17-01-2017, 06:08 PM
(17-01-2017 06:04 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  By the way, he's partially quote-mining Dr. Planck's statement. Planck was talking about the fact that, under his radical idea of Quantum Theory, matter literally did not exist except as an interaction of energy states, and that in his mind (in the 1940s) there was no other explanation but some greater intelligence to cause that to happen. It's a nonscientific leap from a scientific principle... and we have since demonstrated what it actually is that holds all that together and gives mass to the interactions of those particles (which is why the Higgs Boson is often called "the God Particle").

Also, I'm assuming someone pointed out to him that Planck gave up the Christian religion he held when he made that statement, and said later in life that he had ceased to believe in a personal god of any sort?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Planck...ious_views

That doesn't mean he gave up on believing the universe is intelligently designed
17-01-2017, 06:08 PM
(17-01-2017 06:01 PM)Jsamuel Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 05:56 PM)Velvet Wrote:  Thing is Jsamuel, we might actually know better than Max Planck on many subjects, someone being a genius that helped humanity as a whole with his discovery doesn't entitle him to be always right about everything.

I mean, this is rhetoric 101 but maybe you should know better than appealing to authority.

I say the scientific Double-Slit experiment demonstrates Max Planck was indeed correct.
What scientific experiments do you have to show forth demonstrating that Max Planck was incorrect?

YOU HAVE NONE and yet you blindly believe Max Planck had no idea what he was talking about, correct?

That was a question

Please quote me where I claimed that 1. the double slit experiment is incorrect, and 2.I do believe that Max Planck had no idea what he was talking about.

If you don't manage to find it I will be awaiting for you to write a simple apology for making claims on my behalf.

After that, I will gladly give you my opinion on the experiment.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
17-01-2017, 06:09 PM
(17-01-2017 06:04 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  By the way, he's partially quote-mining Dr. Planck's statement.

Dude, he cited Ray Comfort.

Twice.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
17-01-2017, 06:11 PM
(17-01-2017 06:09 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 06:04 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  By the way, he's partially quote-mining Dr. Planck's statement.

Dude, he cited Ray Comfort.

Twice.

Oh. Brain broken. Got it. Sad

17-01-2017, 06:11 PM
(17-01-2017 06:07 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Velvet - I see. Thanks. But it doesn't actually address his assertion that there's no evidence for our shared/common ancestry with the Great Apes.

Jsamuel - If you would like to be disabused of your ignorance, I am a retired biologist and would be happy to walk you through the evidence. If you'd prefer not to listen to me alone, I can cite to a Christian Evangelical who formerly headed the Human Genome Project or to a Catholic professor of evolutionary biology at Brown University, an Ivy League school.

This man was once a hero for people like you. He has a very good reason for changing his mind

17-01-2017, 06:13 PM
Ironically, he's citing to a guy who won the Nobel Prize (and rightfully so!) in 1918 and made the cited statement in the early 1940s...

...a man who also said, "Truth never triumphs — its opponents just die out. Science advances one funeral at a time."

17-01-2017, 06:14 PM
(17-01-2017 06:07 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 06:04 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Here's a quick rundown (and JS correct me if I'm wrong on your views):

I'd say that openly denying that there's proof we share common ancestry with apes is denial of evolution.

Yeah, I missed that part of his post. As I say, I skimmed. Big Grin