((( Critical Thinking is the Way )))

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2017, 06:17 PM
RE: ((( Critical Thinking is the Way )))
That's what you've got? Dean Kenyon? Really?

I'd be quite curious to hear what Dr. Kenyon has to say about common endogenous retrovirus markers, transpositional element scars, and a few dozen other shared genetic markers that can only be explained by common inheritance (since they don't affect evolution and thus are only acquired if passed down from parents to children to children, on down the line).

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-01-2017, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2017 06:35 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
LOL while looking for what Kenyon might have said about ERVs, I stumbled across this gem from the Creationists:

http://creation.com/large-scale-function...troviruses

They outright lie and overtly misrepresent the findings of those scientists on almost literally every line of that article. For instance, they claim that because some of the ERVs have impacted our evolution (ones that have caused genes to "read" at new sites, one of the sources of rapid evolution, especially during the punctuations of punctuated equilibria), that means that all ERVs can be written off as not indicative of evolutionary inheritance!

Some of them do indeed have functions, or had functions in the past, but it doesn't change what they are-- they are put there by a viral insertion in an ancestral population, and handed down to subsequent generations. Whether or not they cause a change in the descendants is 100% irrelevant to the point!

I'm always amazed at the capacity of the Liars For Jesus™ to lie... I would have to set about to deliberately be as dishonest as possible to write an article as dishonest as the one from creation.com -- I simply cannot believe they can look at themselves in the mirror.

Edit to Add: For anyone who's curious to learn about what Human ERVs really are and what they do, PubMed at the National Institutes of Health published a good article summarizing what we knew about it in 2000 (just after the Human Genome Project published), summarizing the state of active and inactive ERVs and their role in human evolution and potential (now confirmed) role in several diseases/ailments.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK6235/

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-01-2017, 06:34 PM
(17-01-2017 06:17 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  That's what you've got? Dean Kenyon? Really?

I'd be quite curious to hear what Dr. Kenyon has to say about common endogenous retrovirus markers, transpositional element scars, and a few dozen other shared genetic markers that can only be explained by common inheritance (since they don't affect evolution and thus are only acquired if passed down from parents to children to children, on down the line).

I've found that nothing is ever good enough to satisfy the chronically closed minded
17-01-2017, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2017 06:44 PM by Velvet.)
Rocket is already going on intricacies of biology while I'm still baffled by the way this guy made claims on everyone's behalf, its strange how some people seem to can't help but being dishonest.

It even reminds me of Borg's rethoric strategy that I call "why stop at using strawman to misrepresent arguments if you can go as far as debating exclusively the strawman at all times?"

Yet supposing that the theory of evolution by natural selection was false, then why wouldn't your train of thought stop at the next "I don't know station", instead of derailing into the magical land? And thats a question Jsamuel.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
[+] 1 user Likes Velvet's post
17-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Closed minded?

Give me a break. I am fascinated by this stuff. I drink it in! I have always done so. I started out as a Creationist and was convinced by the weight of evidence.

I was also taught that only atheists accepted evolution, and learned that actually many of the greatest minds in evolutionary biology are Christians (and other religions).

Even now, I am willing to consider evidence. But Kenyon is a joke, and his "evidence" is a joke. He was a co-author of Of Pandas and People, which has such a stack of legitimate criticism leveled against it (by some of those aforementioned Christian evolutionary biologists) that it would be difficult to even begin to list it all. The short version is this: the idea upon which it is based ("specified complexity" is the standard term for it, coined by Dembski) sounds good to a layperson but fails at every conceivable level.

[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-01-2017, 06:43 PM
(17-01-2017 05:25 PM)Jsamuel Wrote:  It's fair to say that great spirits tend to be outnumbered by mediocre minds.
If you really feel I have absolutely no self-awareness where on the mediocre mind scale
does that put you?

Still wallowing in non-sequiturs I see.

(17-01-2017 05:49 PM)Jsamuel Wrote:  Einstein is said to have believed in Spinoza's God of Nature. An impersonal God, but
a creator God nonetheless of an intelligently designed universe.

“It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.”

― Albert Einstein, Albert Einstein: The Human Side

Spinoza's god is not an intelligent designer, nor it is it a creator god.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
17-01-2017, 06:44 PM
(17-01-2017 06:34 PM)Jsamuel Wrote:  I've found that nothing is ever good enough to satisfy the chronically closed minded

There's that irony again. You are good at it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
17-01-2017, 06:48 PM
(17-01-2017 06:34 PM)Jsamuel Wrote:  I've found that nothing is ever good enough to satisfy the chronically closed minded

You know, I am thinking that you are right, with this statement.

Just not in the way that you mean.

Here is one of many proofs that we share common ancestry with chimpanzees:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10468595/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article...rt=classic

Are you smarter than the members of the National Institutes of Health, which contains publications by a great many winners of the Nobel Prize and is peer reviewed (scrutinized) by those same individuals, when they are not the author?

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
17-01-2017, 06:58 PM
(17-01-2017 06:48 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  

You know, I am thinking that you are right, with this statement.

Just not in the way that you mean.

Here is one of many proofs that we share common ancestry with chimpanzees:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10468595/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article...rt=classic

Are you smarter than the members of the National Institutes of Health, which contains publications by a great many winners of the Nobel Prize and is peer reviewed (scrutinized) by those same individuals, when they are not the author?

And how does that demonstrate no intelligent designer was involved in the process?

IT DOESN'T

However, you BLIND FAITH believe it does, correct?
17-01-2017, 07:01 PM
(17-01-2017 06:58 PM)Jsamuel Wrote:  And how does that demonstrate no intelligent designer was involved in the process?

What is your proof of an intelligent designer?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky