((( Critical Thinking is the Way )))

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2017, 09:23 PM
RE: ((( Critical Thinking is the Way )))
(17-01-2017 09:13 PM)Jsamuel Wrote:  JDOG WROTE:

if you do not believe in gravity, that doesn't mean you won't go splat if you jump off a building.

MY RESPONSE:

I can empirically verify that gravity exists. I CANNOT empirically verify
that man evolved from some mythological apelike common ancestor

((( BIG DIFFERENCE!!! )))

But you can empirically verify an intelligent designer? Please show me how you were able to do that because no one else has.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
17-01-2017, 09:35 PM
(17-01-2017 09:01 PM)Jsamuel Wrote:  TO FATBALDY:

You can't expect to force the most powerful being in the universe
to do anything he doesn't want to do, If he chooses not to openly reveal himself to you
that is YOUR PROBLEM, not mine

Of course it is.

(17-01-2017 10:46 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  I do not fit comfortably into any categorization proverbial 'box' people might like to put me in.

Found a box for you:

[Image: idiot_box_zpswulraroa.jpg]

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
17-01-2017, 09:36 PM
Hello, jsamuel. Welcome to TTA, sir.

jsamuel Wrote:I look forward to ANYONE who can cause me to think more clearly about what I currently believe

What about people who can cause you to think more clearly about that which you do not believe?

jsamuel Wrote:Look, all I am advocating
is to keep a healthy open critical thinking mind
about the mysteries of the universe.

I personally feel new discoveries in consciousness
will eventually completely topple the Darwinian paradigm.
HOWEVER, I openly admit that I may be incorrect.

This is what it means to keep a healthy open mind.
Always being ready to find your are incorrect in your beliefs

I like your curiosity, sir. However, out of curiosity, in addition to the quote above, wouldn't it also be open-minded to explore why others may be correct in their beliefs? Can a synthesis of the two approaches aid people in developing the balance and impartiality requisite for a healthy open mind?

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
17-01-2017, 09:38 PM
By the way, take a shot everytime jsamuel says "blindly".

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 8 users Like JDog554's post
17-01-2017, 09:42 PM
Hello again Jsamuel.

(17-01-2017 08:18 PM)Jsamuel Wrote:  I personally feel new discoveries in consciousness
will eventually completely topple the Darwinian paradigm.

This is what I am confused/nonplussed about.

Consider

Why/how will working out how the human brain works have any impact at all on the rest of the field of biology?

Consider

(17-01-2017 08:28 PM)Jsamuel Wrote:  When was the last time you've met someone whose brain has fallen out?

Actually, I know some one who's been in the operating theater (As a Nurse) who's been helping with the operation to assist in stopping an accident victim's brain from literally falling out of their damaged skull.

Is that close enough? Consider
17-01-2017, 09:51 PM
(17-01-2017 08:28 PM)Jsamuel Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 08:21 PM)pablo Wrote:  Just make sure your brain doesn't fall out.

When was the last time you've met someone whose brain has fallen out?

[Image: Pq4qeHw.jpg]

Today.
In your so called attempt to keep an open mind, you've allowed ludicrous ideas to have as much merit as proven facts.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
17-01-2017, 09:57 PM
(17-01-2017 08:18 PM)Jsamuel Wrote:  
Always being ready to find your are incorrect in your beliefs

Or your grammar.

You’re welcome.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
17-01-2017, 10:05 PM
It can be empirically demonstrated that we evolved from the same ancestor as the chimpanzee.

I have linked you to several scholarly published articles on the subject. I have explained what we know via genetics and how we know it. I have linked to a video not only by "a" biologist, but by a highly religious one who teaches at an Ivy League school and literally wrote the book on the entire subject. Several times. I have even offered to walk you through any parts that you don't understand.

I have shown you all you insist is not there, and more.

Yet you keep saying we are the stubborn, closed-minded ones?!?

Time to consider that it might just be you who is emotionally rejecting an idea you dislike, rather than the other way around, as you've suggested to us.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-01-2017, 10:06 PM
(17-01-2017 10:05 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  It can be empirically demonstrated that we evolved from the same ancestor as the chimpanzee.

I have linked you to several scholarly published articles on the subject. I have explained what we know via genetics and how we know it. I have linked to a video not only by "a" biologist, but by a highly religious one who teaches at an Ivy League school and literally wrote the book on the entire subject. Several times. I have even offered to walk you through any parts that you don't understand.

I have shown you all you insist is not there, and more.

Yet you keep saying we are the stubborn, closed-minded ones?!?

Time to consider that it might just be you who is emotionally rejecting an idea you dislike, rather than the other way around, as you've suggested to us.

^This. Claims to have an open mind, eschews learning opportunities. Facepalm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
17-01-2017, 11:03 PM
(17-01-2017 07:29 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 06:04 PM)jennybee Wrote:  ...
Here's a quick rundown (and JS correct me if I'm wrong on your views):

*He doesn't like holy water because it has bacteria in it.
*He doesn't like science because we are being led by blind faith.
*I don't think he's against evolution per se (although, I've skimmed a few of his posts). He doesn't think that evolution means there wasn't an intelligent designer.
*He's using the double-slit experiment to explain God.
*Oh and atheists are stupid. Hobo

He is OK with science when it supports his 'research'. Dodgy
But he doesn't like scientists (when they don't).

As RocDoc mentioned, he's agin evolution.

Critical of christians and atheists.

All the hallmarks of ... Islam!

Drinking Beverage

Yeah, I saw it after I made my post. I skimmed several of his posts and thought I got the gist of the bs. But apparently I missed a bit along the way Tongue