((( Critical Thinking is the Way )))

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2017, 08:42 AM
RE: ((( Critical Thinking is the Way )))
(17-01-2017 08:37 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  ... dealt a blow to my faith in the alternative media I may never recover from!!

Would that be ALL alternative media?

(17-01-2017 08:37 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  I look forward to ANYONE who can cause me to think more clearly about what I currently believe

If this is true, then I challenge you to reconsider the mechanisms by which you come to hold beliefs about groups vs. individuals.

And good luck with that.

Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2017, 08:42 AM
(17-01-2017 08:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I wondered who would be first to take that generalisation personally.

Do I get a cookie? Big Grin

Maybe I'm getting thin-skinned. Consider It just gets old after awhile.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
17-01-2017, 08:43 AM
(17-01-2017 08:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 08:30 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Fuck off.

Do not come here and tell me what I believe and on what basis I believe it.

I wondered who would be first to take that generalisation personally.

There was this one earlier:
(17-01-2017 08:09 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  ...
Christians would try to push the lie that...

@Jsamuel,

Would you consider generalisation, stereotyping etc. to be an indicator of a failure to think critically?

Consider

I speak from my direct associations with Christianity. They tend to try to push the lie that you MUST believe the Bible to be infallible and inerrant to be saved in the Kingdom of Jesus Christ. Those have been my experiences.
17-01-2017, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2017 09:01 AM by mordant.)
(17-01-2017 08:37 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  Let me tell you when the alternative media all started reporting that Wikileaks Julian Assange was dead and he suddenly showed up alive and gave an interview to Sean Hannity that dealt a blow to my faith in the alternative media I may never recover from!!
I think you are being intellectually lazy here.

In the real world one would expect even the most credible media source to occasionally get part of or (more rarely) all of a story wrong. That would not logically lead to a rejection of anything said by that outlet, forever. Much less rejecting anything ever said by that KIND of outlet, forever.

What it SHOULD logically lead to is an examination of news-gathering techniques, methodologies for (in)validating sources and facts, and so forth, leading to a more nuanced position: recognizing that media sources are flawed but useful, and then adopting principles for affording confidence to any given news story, and methods for a non-reporter to get as close as possible to the truth of any given matter.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
17-01-2017, 08:45 AM
(17-01-2017 08:42 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 08:37 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  ... dealt a blow to my faith in the alternative media I may never recover from!!

Would that be ALL alternative media?

(17-01-2017 08:37 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  I look forward to ANYONE who can cause me to think more clearly about what I currently believe

If this is true, then I challenge you to reconsider the mechanisms by which you come to hold beliefs about groups vs. individuals.

And good luck with that.

Thumbsup

I speak from my direct experiences with different religions. They tend to feel THEIR holy book is infallible and inerrant and all others are of the devil. You may call this a baseless conclusion, but I have found it to be fact
17-01-2017, 08:45 AM
Welcome! Yes, I've heard of holy water being disgusting. It makes sense, tons of people sticking their fingers into it on a daily basis. You would think God wouldn't want people to do something that could get potentially get them sick with all of the bacteria he created. Wink
17-01-2017, 08:47 AM
(17-01-2017 08:45 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 08:37 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  Let me tell you when the alternative media all started reporting that Wikileaks Julian Assange was dead and he suddenly showed up alive and gave an interview to Sean Hannity that dealt a blow to my faith in the alternative media I may never recover from!!
I think you are being intellectually lazy here.

In the real world one would expect even the most credible media source to occasionally get part of or (more rarely) all of a story wrong. That would not logically lead to a rejection of anything said by that outlet, forever. Much less rejecting anything ever said by that KIND of outlet, forever.

What it SHOULD logically lead to is an examination of news-gathering techniques, methodologies for (in)validating sources and facts, and so forth, leading to a more nuanced position: recognizing that media sources are flawed but useful, and then adopting principles for affording confidence to any given news story, and methods for a not-reporter to get as close as possible to the truth of any given matter.

What it has led to is a suspicion of the alternative media that I did not have before Julian Assange turned up alive and well AND RIGHTFULLY SO!! Who knows what else they are dead wrong about!!
17-01-2017, 08:47 AM
(17-01-2017 08:45 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  ...
You may call this a baseless conclusion, but I have found it to be fact

And what mechanism would you use to test your hypothesis?

Drinking Beverage

17-01-2017, 08:49 AM
At work.

Hello! Big Grin

So Jsamuel...... you appear to be falling into the 'Solipsist' hole?

Consider

Better read folks than I will hopefully be along to help yourself out of it.

Or at least indicate which way to go about digging 'Up'.

Thumbsup
17-01-2017, 08:50 AM
(17-01-2017 08:45 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Welcome! Yes, I've heard of holy water being disgusting. It makes sense, tons of people sticking their fingers into it on a daily basis. You would think God wouldn't want people to do something that could get potentially get them sick with all of the bacteria he created. Wink

I just decided to do a study on holy water LAST NIGHT and was SHOCKED at what I found!! WOW!!! It really shook me up alright. I no longer want to even touch the stuff. Who knows what diseases I may catch through the touching!!
[+] 1 user Likes Jsamuel's post