((( Critical Thinking is the Way )))

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2017, 03:01 AM
RE: ((( Critical Thinking is the Way )))
(18-01-2017 02:52 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  
Most scientists at the time rejected Darwinian evolution and MANY still do!!

For 40 years the Piltdown Man was in science textbooks as genuine

and i venture YOU would have blindly believed it to be genuine as well

This is a lie. What, are you getting your "information" from Conservapedia?

It appeared in one Tennessee textbook written in 1914 by a pro-eugenics douchebag, along with a lot of other very questionable stuff that was rightly struck out as soon as it came to the notice of people outside of Tennessee.

You forget I have a degree in this stuff. This is my field.

When I saw Piltdown Man, I would have done what most other scientists of the day did: I would have accepted it to the exact degree it was demonstrated, which was quite poor, since it did not fit the rest of the picture.

It would have remained an anomaly, something that needed further explanation (one of which might have been, and turned out to be, "it's a forgery/hoax").

Learn and speak in facts, please.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
18-01-2017, 03:02 AM
(18-01-2017 03:00 AM)xieulong Wrote:  
(18-01-2017 02:47 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Jsamuel - Would it bother you to know that you are promoting a myth about Piltdown Man?

Most scientists, even at the time, rejected Piltdown Man because the discovery made no sense in the light of other discoveries that had been made-- in short, if Piltdown Man was real, it would have been a challenge to the emerging evolutionary picture. Essentially, the only people who "bought into" Piltdown Man were a few Englishmen who really liked the idea of their home island being the center of human origins (rather than Africa), and therefore didn't think critically enough.

More importantly, though, Piltdown Man kept being argued against, because it didn't fit-- and it was scientists who showed that it was a fake.

So now you need to address the serious question of why you thought Piltdown Man was something you could throw in our faces.

Who told you about it? Why did you trust them? Why didn't you check the facts for yourself before presenting it to us as a "gotcha!" attempt?

I don't think he's really interested in any real discussion. The last two pages has been weird incoherent ranting. Among a strong field of strange theists on this forums, he may be one of the strangest.

If you cannot understand what I write YOU have a comprehension problem

18-01-2017, 03:07 AM
[Image: 8BL7s86.jpg]

'GRAVITY IS THE RESULT OF A COINCIDENTAL RANDOM CHANCE OCCURRENCE'

This is the claim of atheist scientists who pride themselves on backing their views not with faith, but with scientific experimentation.

However, when I challenge the atheists to back this ridiculous premise with repeatable, observable scientific experiments guess what?

ALL THEY HAVE IS BLIND FAITH TO BACK IT UP!!!

As to faith, one of their great heroes says:

RICHARD DAWKINS QUOTE: Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence.
Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence.

MY RESPONSE:

This is what I call: PSYCHOLOGICAL CHECKMATE

You can't weasel your way around this, atheists!!

18-01-2017, 03:08 AM
Hoooooooooooooly crap, the cheese has slid off the cracker.

[Image: CgGVbFtWsAAflr0.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
18-01-2017, 03:12 AM
"By 1913, half a jaw bone, three teeth, and enough pieces of the splintered cranium were found to allow Woodward to reconstruct the head of Eoanthropus dawsoni, an individual determined from the age of the Piltdown gravels to represent Darwin's missing link. Although named after Dawson, full credit for this critical human evolutionary discovery was shared by the members of the discovery trio. Dawson, [392] Woodward, and Teilhard. Commonly referred to as "Piltdown Man," he was described as having a human cranium very much like our own (although somewhat thicker), with an apelike jaw but with certain human characteristics, particularly in the teeth. In 1915, two new cranial bones and another molar jaw tooth were found by Dawson at a completely different site in a field about two miles from the first. This was taken as evidence that more than one such creature had once roamed the English countryside.

By 1916, the year of Dawson's death, Piltdown had become fully accepted as a single individual (during the intervening years, 1912-1916, some had held that Piltdown was two individuals-one humanoid, one ape-who had been washed into the same gravels) by the giants of early twentieth-century geological history. Besides Woodward, these included the Englishmen Sir Arthur Keith, G. Elliot Smith, and A.S. Underwood; an American anthropologist, H. Fairfield Osborn; and the French anthropologist Marcellin Boule. Of those among the original group at the British Geological Society meeting in 1912, only Dr. David Waterston, professor of anatomy at Kings College, remained unconvinced.

In the Outline of Science (1922), Piltdown Man is described as one of the foremost humanoid branches of the tree leading from man-ape to man. Although its importance to evolutionary theory diminished as new models emerged, it kept its position as an authentic fossil for another thirty years. But in 1953, through tests with x-rays, fluoride, and other relatively modern techniques, English scientists (Dr. Kenneth Oakley, Dr. J.S. Weiner, and Professor Wilfred Le Gros Clark) revealed that Piltdown Man was a complete fraud. The jaw bone and the canine tooth had definitely been tampered with. Also, the cranium was humanoid while the jaw bone was totally ape.

The assumption that Dawson conceived the entire plot himself, or at least was the principal in any conspiracy, is based almost entirely upon the case presented by Weiner in The Piltdown Forgery, published in 1955..."

http://www2.clarku.edu/~piltdown/map_pri...fraud.html
18-01-2017, 03:14 AM
(18-01-2017 03:02 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  
(18-01-2017 03:00 AM)xieulong Wrote:  I don't think he's really interested in any real discussion. The last two pages has been weird incoherent ranting. Among a strong field of strange theists on this forums, he may be one of the strangest.

If you cannot understand what I write YOU have a comprehension problem

Take a chill pill man. You write like you're yelling or something.

Let's see:
Personal anecdotes, check
Claims with out evidence, check
Strawmanning atheists, check
Posting old and out of date crap, check
Failing to verify your own "information", check
Repetitive and incoherent ranting, check

Seems like a typical theist to me. It's like the churches are churning you guys off an assembly line or something.
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post
18-01-2017, 03:15 AM

GET REAL, ATHEISTS!!!

YOU WOULD HAVE BLINDLY BELIEVED PILTDOWN WAS GENUINE

AND YOU KNOW IT!!!

DON'T TRY TO CON ME INTO THINKING YOU WOULD NOT HAVE.

YOU CAN'T FOOL ME THAT EASILY

[Image: 348B4Pb.jpg]
18-01-2017, 03:21 AM
You see what you want to see.

The key phrase there is "of those among the original group at the British Geological Society meeting in 1912".

The reason the English scientists in 1953 were performing those tests on that specimen was that it was always held with skepticism, for the reasons I stated, even though it was tentatively accepted as real without proof of the fraud (which it was). It was considered a genuine fossil pending more information.

More importantly than this-- why do you think a discovery in the opening years of the 20th century, doubted by most outside of England (whose national pride at the time was infamous), has anything to do with the 100 years of science since then, including the discovery of genetics, radioisometrics, and the chemical tests that disproved Piltdown Man?

You are being dishonest, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Edit to Add: No, I likely would have considered it a problematic find because I am an American scientist, and it doesn't fit the Out of Africa model shown by all the other finds.

18-01-2017, 03:25 AM
Watch that video I posted. The author of the video does a good job of breaking down the history of the fraud, who accepted it and who rejected it, and why/how it was disproved.

If you're really as "open minded" as you claim to be, that is.

18-01-2017, 03:28 AM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2017 04:04 AM by Jsamuel.)
[Image: gADPzlk.jpg]

My blog is the place where I post the songs I am working on.

I used to be a professional musical entertainer

Now I am retired and perform for Mother Nature exclusively as a token of my gratitude

for all the good I have received in life.

Some of what I currently believe is also on my blog

You usually have to scroll down to see it

http://manifestingsuccessdestiny.blogspot.com/