((( Critical Thinking is the Way )))

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2017, 08:51 AM
RE: ((( Critical Thinking is the Way )))
(17-01-2017 08:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 08:45 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  ...
You may call this a baseless conclusion, but I have found it to be fact

And what mechanism would you use to test your hypothesis?

Drinking Beverage

DIRECT, EMPIRICAL EXPERIENCE!! Of course, I must take into account that my senses should never be blindly trusted, but...I can only do the best I can
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2017, 08:55 AM
At work.

(17-01-2017 08:51 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 08:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  And what mechanism would you use to test your hypothesis?

Drinking Beverage

DIRECT, EMPIRICAL EXPERIENCE!! Of course, I must take into account that my senses should never be blindly trusted, but...I can only do the best I can

Yup, there you have it.

The problem of first, how do you trust your senses? Then, how do you trust your sources? With the eventual implosion of 'How do you trust your mind?'

Best of luck with the digging. Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
17-01-2017, 08:58 AM
(17-01-2017 08:51 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 08:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  And what mechanism would you use to test your hypothesis?

Drinking Beverage

Cool. Get back to us after you've drunk some holy water ... no reason to trust anything you find via google after all.

Big Grin

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
17-01-2017, 09:00 AM
(17-01-2017 08:23 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  There are no repeatable, observable scientific experiments demonstrating that man evolved from some apelike common ancestor. It is something atheists have to accept on faith in AN ATHEIST interpretation of the physical evidence.
Then you reveal your ignorance concerning how science works and how it is in fact antithetical to religious faith. Religious faith is a demonstrably failed epistemology; the scientific method is a demonstrably successful (if imperfect) one. That science is misapplied or mistaken sometimes is compensated for by the fact that it is self-correcting / refining.
(17-01-2017 08:23 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  After studying into corruption in science and in the scientific peer review process my faith in the integrity of science is now just as low as my faith that holy water is actually "holy".
Again, a more nuanced, intellectually honest and responsible position would be to understand that science is an imperfect process by definition (it is a process engaged in by imperfect people) and rather than throw the baby out with the bathwater you simply regard science presented to you critically rather than uncritically -- while still realizing that your very presence here in this forum, manipulating inconvenienced electrons with the rest of us, is a triumph of SCIENCE.

What does religion have that is an analog to applied science (technology)? Or even applied philosophy (aesthetics, ontology, ethics)? And what sort of track record does it have relative to those? Does it make sense to distrust science to the same extent one distrusts religion?

When did religion last correct an error in science, or innovate or invent something new?

So it is clear that despite problems with the peer review process and with the efforts of individual scientists to achieve acclaim apart from doing the actual science, that the scientific method itself is sound and is followed far more often than not, therefore, given this and the proven success of applied science in countless ways, there is no basis to doubt the overall "integrity of science".
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
17-01-2017, 09:00 AM
(17-01-2017 08:55 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

(17-01-2017 08:51 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  DIRECT, EMPIRICAL EXPERIENCE!! Of course, I must take into account that my senses should never be blindly trusted, but...I can only do the best I can

Yup, there you have it.

The problem of first, how do you trust your senses? Then, how do you trust your sources? With the eventual implosion of 'How do you trust your mind?'

Best of luck with the digging. Thumbsup

FROM DIRECT EMPIRICAL EXPERIENCES I know for a fact that my life is most wonderful when I feel strong, healthy and do my best to laugh at the absurdities of life.

My life is also most wonderful when I don't get overly upset over matters I have no control over. People do all kinds of ridiculously crazy things that I have no control over. It makes no sense to sacrifice my happiness by getting angry or upset over the ridiculously insane nonsense going on around me that is truly none of my business.
17-01-2017, 09:01 AM
(17-01-2017 08:40 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 08:30 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Fuck off.

Do not come here and tell me what I believe and on what basis I believe it.

Do you blindly believe that man evolving from some apelike common ancestor automatically means there was no intelligent designer involved in the process? Do you have repeatable, observable scientific experiments to back this or is it just your BLIND FAITH belief?

I tend to find that atheists refuse to critically think about what mainstream science brainwashes them into believing.

So primitive peoples who believed the sun passed through the underworld had it right then? This is what you are basing your critical thinking on? Really?
17-01-2017, 09:04 AM
(17-01-2017 08:47 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  What it has led to is a suspicion of the alternative media that I did not have before Julian Assange turned up alive and well AND RIGHTFULLY SO!! Who knows what else they are dead wrong about!!
Who knows what else they are substantially right about?

Suspicion? Perhaps. But personally I am just not a credulous person, I am a skeptic. I question everything as a matter of course. I don't afford belief to things that aren't properly substantiated. Skepticism is the virtue here, not paranoia.
17-01-2017, 09:05 AM
(17-01-2017 08:50 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  I just decided to do a study on holy water LAST NIGHT and was SHOCKED at what I found!! WOW!!! It really shook me up alright. I no longer want to even touch the stuff. Who knows what diseases I may catch through the touching!!
[shrug]I have never touched, or been touched by, holy water in my life. It's pretty easy to avoid, given that I haven't even tried to avoid it. I would imagine, just stay out of Catholic or other high church ritualistic activities.
17-01-2017, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2017 09:09 AM by Jsamuel.)
(17-01-2017 08:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 08:51 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  DIRECT, EMPIRICAL EXPERIENCE!! Of course, I must take into account that my senses should never be blindly trusted, but...I can only do the best I can

Cool. Get back to us after you've drunk some holy water ... no reason to trust anything you find via google after all.

Big Grin

I often have to weigh the evidence against logic and reason. My desire to investigate into holy water came from a belief that holy water was water that was blessed by the Pope. Since I learned that the Pope was found guilty, in Brussels, of child trafficking, rape and torture I suddenly thought about holy water and decided to research into it. How could water be "holy" if it is blessed by a man found guilty of such crimes!!!

POPE FOUND GUILTY:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=ch...rafficking

IT'S CREEPY, but it seems Catholics around the world are under some sort of ninth circle demonic spell. That's why they completely ignore this information. It would explain why so many Catholic priests have been found guilty of pedophilia. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
17-01-2017, 09:07 AM
(17-01-2017 08:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Big Grin

Or Science, which studied said bacteria and infectious qualities. Better to trust God and Jesus who instructed followers not to wash their hands in Matthew 15 and Luke 11. Clearly not washing your hands breeds the bacteria which you are finding in holy water. So who to listen to: Science or Jesus Consider
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post