((( Critical Thinking is the Way )))

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2017, 12:14 PM
RE: ((( Critical Thinking is the Way )))
(18-01-2017 10:13 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(18-01-2017 04:15 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  I am indeed considering contributing more money to this forum

Are we supposed to be impressed by this? First, all we have is your saying so - that you contributed and are thinking about contributing more. Second, even if it's true, many people here have contributed financially, but you are the ONLY one I have ever personally seen even mention it publicly. And you have done so now about a half dozen times (as of page 26, I'm still catching up on the thread) as though this somehow makes you special. Facepalm

Exactly, unless he buys the forum and change the name to "The Bullshit Jsamuel Forum", in which case he might have a point.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Velvet's post
18-01-2017, 01:24 PM
My brain says Jizz Mule every time I read that username.
[+] 4 users Like skyking's post
18-01-2017, 01:47 PM
(18-01-2017 12:53 AM)Jsamuel Wrote:  
(18-01-2017 12:48 AM)Astreja Wrote:  Jsamuel, I do not believe your testimony. I believe that your entire spiritual experience including your NDE is simply an interesting neurological effect created by your physical brain, and that your Intelligent Designer is literally a figment of your imagination.

I also do not believe that any god worthy of the title would deliberately play hide-and-seek with mortals and demand faith of them. That is a disgusting way for a god to behave. Furthermore, your talk of a "hellish eternity" hints that you continue to buy into the ludicrous afterlife fables of Christianity, Islam or some similar "believe or burn" cult.

As for consciousness, this I believe with every fibre of My being: Consciousness, personality, sense of self, memory, belief, and all of the other perks of being a sentient being are automatically and permanently terminated at the time of irreversible physical death.

YEE GADS, MADAME!!!

YOU CUT ME TO THE QUICK!!!!

BEHOLD THE NDE SKEPTICS CORNER:

http://www.near-death.com/science/skepticism.html

NDE's Hahahaha. They can be induced by drugs and centrifuge machines astronauts train in.

People see the god they were trained to believe in. Hindus see the afterlife their culture teaches, Muslims , Christians, aboriginal cultures also see the afterlife of their cultures too.

Neurosurgeon, Oliver Sacks. "Hallucinations, whether revelatory or banal, are not of supernatural origin; they are part of the normal range of human consciousness and experience."

Annnnnnd.......you're an idiot.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-01-2017, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2017 02:20 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
That's how these always go, DF2... I'm actually getting a little tired of the pattern.

"Hi Atheists! I'm here to tell you what you think and then explain to you why it's wrong! You've never heard this Great Wisdom before, but I know The Truth™. You atheists think that _________ and __________. How stupid are you?! Atheism makes no sense."

Um, we actually don't think that. At all. We don't even all think the same thing by a long stretch... but what you just said is something none of us think. Thanks for trying, though. Care to hear why you have the definition of atheism wrong, and what most of us actually do think?

"You're just blind and stubborn. My ideas are right and yours are wrong! I have _(insert random scripture book here)_ which says all non-believers are misguided and stupid!"

Yeah, of course it says that. All scripture-books say that. It's not evidence; it's not even a very good claim, as it's claim that falls apart under scrutiny when numerous studies have been done that show atheists tend to know the theology of the dominant local religion better than adherents of that religion.

Well I know that my god is real. I have had personal visions of it. I read a website about Near Death Experiences, and it says they are made of magic. You can't disprove it!

Um, yes we can. It's been studied extensively, and even reproduced in a lab. Furthermore, it's pretty clear that it's a product of the brain and the cultural programming on that brain, since people never see a religion to which they have not been previously exposed: Hindu cultures see Shiva or Ganesha, Christian cultures see Jesus or Angels, Muslims are visited by the Prophet or Jinn, and so on. If you'd like, we can link you to scientific studies that show all the things you think are magic actually have perfectly reasonable, natural explanations.

"Scientists don't know everything!"

We didn't say they do. They don't say they do. But they do know some things, and it's folly to ignore what we do know simply because you don't like the answers.

"Well Darwin recanted his views on evolution because it's false, and this professor at Johnsontown Community College says evolution is just what atheists claim because they don't want to recognize that we have proof of an Intelligent Designer! See, Darwin even said __________________."

Well, no Darwin didn't... that's a "pious fraud" by someone who wasn't even there, according to his family. The supposed quote is not all he said-- what you did is something we call "quote mining", and it's highly dishonest. When Darwin said that, he didn't stop where you stopped, but went on to explain why it's actually the opposite of what you quoted. Lying for Jesus™ is still lying.

Also, the guy you're referencing isn't really part of the published literature on the subject, making him a degreed nobody, and his views have come under heavy criticism from atheist and religious scientists, alike. They have been thoroughly debunked. Why are you bringing up debunked arguments?

"See?! I told you that atheists were blind! Watch this YouTube video that proves it all!"

Ooooooooh, a video by a random preacher telling us that some scientist gave up the scientific method and now wants to redefine science so it can include his personal religious ideas about magic... never seen THAT before! You can't be freaking serious. But okay, if you like YouTube videos, try this video by one of the top experts in the field (who happens to be highly religious), explaining to you why the argument you just presented is bunkum, and how you are being misled by people with an agenda.

"I don't need to watch your video because you are closed-minded!"

Um... that's pretty much the definition of a closed-minded response. Congratulations! But I'm wondering how you can sleep at night, being so dishonest. Do you really prefer to take "some random dude" as an explanation, while ignoring every top-level expert in the field, or only in fields where you don't like the answers given by those experts?

"No you're the closed-minded ones. The proof is everywhere. God will judge you and you will burn in hell!"

Neato. Care to learn about the history of the concept of Hell, how it was stolen from the pagan religions, and how it has changed over time? Or would you prefer to talk about how immoral any being (deity or not) is when it calls something a free choice but offers that "free" choice to its victims faced with the worst threat imaginable? Frankly, I am too moral to believe in this being you have been describing.

"Well you're all too serious. You need to stop thinking and just believe. Now I'll post a cartoon some of my religious brethren drew, showing how silly atheists are!"

Actually, we're pretty funny-- we invite you to check out our "Favorite Pictures for a Laugh at Religion" and "Favorite Pictures for a Laugh at Everything Else" threads, among others. We just don't like people who come here telling us (wrongly) what we believe, refusing to listen to our replies based on years of study of this topic (which you appear to think you are the first person to present to us), and then using your deity-idea to proxy-threaten to punch us in our auras judge us and send us to hell. You have come here and done every anti-social thing possible, then acted surprised when we reacted to you as any normal human beings would do. Do you have any idea the level of arrogance it takes to take umbrage at such a perfectly normal reaction???

"That's it, I'm done with you stupid atheists."

Okay. Good talk. Bye now.

[New Theist arrives, 4-7 days later...]

"Hi Atheists! I'm here to tell you what you think and then explain to you why it's wrong! You've never heard this Great Wisdom before, but I know The Truth. You atheists think that _________ and __________. How stupid are you?! Atheism makes no sense."

Oh for fuck's sake!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 10 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-01-2017, 02:29 PM
(18-01-2017 02:16 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  That's how these always go, DF2... I'm actually getting a little tired of the pattern.

"Hi Atheists! I'm here to tell you what you think and then explain to you why it's wrong! You've never heard this Great Wisdom before, but I know The Truth™. You atheists think that _________ and __________. How stupid are you?! Atheism makes no sense."

Um, we actually don't think that. At all. We don't even all think the same thing by a long stretch... but what you just said is something none of us think. Thanks for trying, though. Care to hear why you have the definition of atheism wrong, and what most of us actually do think?

"You're just blind and stubborn. My ideas are right and yours are wrong! I have _(insert random scripture book here)_ which says all non-believers are misguided and stupid!"

Yeah, of course it says that. All scripture-books say that. It's not evidence; it's not even a very good claim, as it's claim that falls apart under scrutiny when numerous studies have been done that show atheists tend to know the theology of the dominant local religion better than adherents of that religion.

Well I know that my god is real. I have had personal visions of it. I read a website about Near Death Experiences, and it says they are made of magic. You can't disprove it!

Um, yes we can. It's been studied extensively, and even reproduced in a lab. Furthermore, it's pretty clear that it's a product of the brain and the cultural programming on that brain, since people never see a religion to which they have not been previously exposed: Hindu cultures see Shiva or Ganesha, Christian cultures see Jesus or Angels, Muslims are visited by the Prophet or Jinn, and so on. If you'd like, we can link you to scientific studies that show all the things you think are magic actually have perfectly reasonable, natural explanations.

We didn't say they do. They don't say they do. But they do know some things, and it's folly to ignore what we do know simply because you don't like the answers.

"Well Darwin recanted his views on evolution because it's false, and this professor at Johnsontown Community College says evolution is just what atheists claim because they don't want to recognize that we have proof of an Intelligent Designer! See, Darwin even said __________________."

Well, no Darwin didn't... that's a "pious fraud" by someone who wasn't even there, according to his family. The supposed quote is not all he said-- what you did is something we call "quote mining", and it's highly dishonest. When Darwin said that, he didn't stop where you stopped, but went on to explain why it's actually the opposite of what you quoted. Lying for Jesus™ is still lying.

Also, the guy you're referencing isn't really part of the published literature on the subject, making him a degreed nobody, and his views have come under heavy criticism from atheist and religious scientists, alike. They have been thoroughly debunked. Why are you bringing up debunked arguments?

"See?! I told you that atheists were blind! Watch this YouTube video that proves it all!"

Ooooooooh, a video by a random preacher telling us that some scientist gave up the scientific method and now wants to redefine science so it can include his personal religious ideas about magic... never seen THAT before! You can't be freaking serious. But okay, if you like YouTube videos, try this video by one of the top experts in the field (who happens to be highly religious), explaining to you why the argument you just presented is bunkum, and how you are being misled by people with an agenda.

Um... that's pretty much the definition of a closed-minded response. Congratulations! But I'm wondering how you can sleep at night, being so dishonest. Do you really prefer to take "some random dude" as an explanation, while ignoring every top-level expert in the field, or only in fields where you don't like the answers given by those experts?

"No you're the closed-minded ones. The proof is everywhere. God will judge you and you will burn in hell!"

Neato. Care to learn about the history of the concept of Hell, how it was stolen from the pagan religions, and how it has changed over time? Or would you prefer to talk about how immoral any being (deity or not) is when it calls something a free choice but offers that "free" choice to its victims faced with the worst threat imaginable? Frankly, I am too moral to believe in this being you have been describing.

"Well you're all too serious. You need to stop thinking and just believe. Now I'll post a cartoon some of my religious brethren drew, showing how silly atheists are!"

Actually, we're pretty funny-- we invite you to check out our "Favorite Pictures for a Laugh at Religion" and "Favorite Pictures for a Laugh at Everything Else" threads, among others. We just don't like people who come here telling us (wrongly) what we believe, refusing to listen to our replies based on years of study of this topic (which you appear to think you are the first person to present to us), and then using your deity-idea to proxy-threaten to punch us in our auras judge us and send us to hell. You have come here and done every anti-social thing possible, then acted surprised when we reacted to you as any normal human beings would do. Do you have any idea the level of arrogance it takes to take umbrage at such a perfectly normal reaction???

"Hi Atheists! I'm here to tell you what you think and then explain to you why it's wrong! You've never heard this Great Wisdom before, but I know The Truth. You atheists think that _________ and __________. How stupid are you?! Atheism makes no sense."

Oh for fuck's sake!
Laugh out load

We need a web page that has a drop down choice of typical opening posts by theists. After they select one, it would give our standard arguments with another drop down choice of their standard replies. This would continue until it reaches the "You're just closed minded" stage at which point our standard reply would be "The irony! It looks like we're done here. Next..."

It would save us a lot of repetition. Smile

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
18-01-2017, 02:35 PM
(18-01-2017 02:29 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Laugh out load

We need a web page that has a drop down choice of typical opening posts by theists. After they select one, it would give our standard arguments with another drop down choice of their standard replies. This would continue until it reaches the "You're just closed minded" stage at which point our standard reply would be "The irony! It looks like we're done here. Next..."

It would save us a lot of repetition. Smile

That's not a bad idea! We could modify the "Atheist Bingo" card as an auto-reaction to these "presentations". Laugh out load

[Image: atheistBingo.png]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 10 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-01-2017, 03:48 PM
(18-01-2017 02:35 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  That's not a bad idea! We could modify the "Atheist Bingo" card as an auto-reaction to these "presentations". Laugh out load

[Image: atheistBingo.png]

Stealing that.

*right click*

*Save Image As*
[+] 3 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
18-01-2017, 04:24 PM
(18-01-2017 02:16 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  That's how these always go, DF2... I'm actually getting a little tired of the pattern.

Oh for fuck's sake!

The atheist burden, always having to call BS on the latest special snowflake that thinks they have the answers.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
18-01-2017, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2017 04:58 PM by Jsamuel.)
[Image: 8GZVf4S.jpg]

To be a ruthless critical thinker among those who fancy themselves critical thinkers,
but who are actually blind faith believers can often cause much friction. One cannot afford
to be too honest among such people without offending them.

Although, I must admit that I have had a lot of fun here. That's ONE of the reasons
I made a financial contribution towards this forum and intend to make more.

Another of the reasons is it seems I am having the most trouble here with the atheists
who take take take and give NOTHING in the way of financial contributions.

TO BE PERFECTLY HONEST

I consider those who make financial contributions to this forum to be the best people.
Those are the most grateful people and I can relate to demonstrations of gratitude and appreciation.
If you want to know a fact about me: gratitude and appreciation are the very core
of what makes my life worth living!!!

So, before you decide to come back on this topic threat and attack me
OUTDO my initial five-dollar contribution to this forum or do me a favor

((( SHUT THE HELL UP!! )))

Thanks

18-01-2017, 04:41 PM
(18-01-2017 04:32 PM)Jsamuel Wrote:  [Image: 8GZVf4S.jpg]

To be a ruthless critical thinker among those who fancy themselves critical thinkers,
but who are actually blind faith believers can often cause much friction. One cannot afford
to be too honest among such people without offending them.

Although I must admit that I have had a lot of fun here. That's ONE of the reasons
I made a financial contribution towards this forum and intend to make more.

Another of the reasons is it seems I am having the most trouble here with the atheists
who take take take and give NOTHING in the way of financial contributions.

TO BE PERFECTLY HONEST

I consider those who make financial contributions to this forum to be the best people.
Those are the most grateful people and I can relate to demonstrations of gratitude and appreciation.
If you want to know a fact about me: gratitude and appreciation is the very core
of what makes my life worth living!!!

Your lows must be brutal.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post