Critical Thinking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2015, 03:39 AM
RE: Critical Thinking
(11-01-2015 01:47 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 01:16 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  Harvey, what do you intend to do with critical thinking?

... Grow petunias? Redefine the concept of zero? Write the president an angry letter? Why would it matter? Tongue

I'm a critical thinker. I went on a course and I still haven't got what I thougt I'd get from it.

I'm just curious as to what he thinks he'll get from it.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2015, 04:17 AM
(11-01-2015 01:16 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  Harvey, what do you intend to do with critical thinking?

Master it.

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
11-01-2015, 05:02 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2015 12:29 PM by gofish!.)
(10-01-2015 07:40 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Foundational it may be, but at least at my Alma Mater critical thinking is taught out of the philosophy department. On the other hand figures such as William Lane Craig also emerge from that department... so ymmv.

I don't disagree: quite possibly it is taught out of philosophy, and it is arguably needed most there.

But then I'd be keen to learn of a branch of human enquiry (inc. science) that wouldn't benefit from it. Hence foundational, IMHO.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
11-01-2015, 05:05 AM
(11-01-2015 01:45 AM)morondog Wrote:  Carl Sagan's book... can't remember the title but the subtitle was "science as a candle in the dark"... that was nice. More popular science than critical thinking though. I learned a lot of critical thought stuff which I found useful from browsing back issues of Skeptical Inquirer magazine. Godel, Escher, Bach by ... fuck I can't remember who, also a great book but maybe too deep for me. I always get to chapter 4 and can't read any further 'cos my brain's scrambled. But lots of logic stuff in there - not really critical thinking but fascinating reading.

Not presuming to preach or teach here, but I found those books I mentioned a really good refresher on systems of thinking and recognising traps and flaws in one's own and others' arguments.

Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
11-01-2015, 07:13 AM
(11-01-2015 04:17 AM)Harvey Wrote:  

Master it.

Is there an expected outcome for mastering it?

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
11-01-2015, 07:48 AM
(11-01-2015 05:05 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Not presuming to preach or teach here, but I found those books I mentioned a really good refresher on systems of thinking and recognising traps and flaws in one's own and others' arguments.

... I'm sure they're very nice.

*pats hand*

Big Grin
Bechased

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-01-2015, 07:55 AM
(11-01-2015 01:45 AM)morondog Wrote:  Carl Sagan's book... can't remember the title but the subtitle was "science as a candle in the dark"...

The Demon Haunted World

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Demon-Haunted_World

While not a textbook it does show the human tendency to believe in the supernatural, the antithesis of critical thinking.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
11-01-2015, 08:01 AM
(11-01-2015 01:45 AM)morondog Wrote:  Godel, Escher, Bach by ... fuck I can't remember who, also a great book but maybe too deep for me. I always get to chapter 4 and can't read any further 'cos my brain's scrambled. But lots of logic stuff in there - not really critical thinking but fascinating reading.

by Douglas Hofstadter

I second that one; it isn't an easy read but it is worth the effort

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
11-01-2015, 12:03 PM
(11-01-2015 07:13 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 04:17 AM)Harvey Wrote:  Master it.

Is there an expected outcome for mastering it?

Yes. Applying it.

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
11-01-2015, 12:32 PM
(11-01-2015 07:48 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 05:05 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Not presuming to preach or teach here, but I found those books I mentioned a really good refresher on systems of thinking and recognising traps and flaws in one's own and others' arguments.

... I'm sure they're very nice.

*pats hand*

Big Grin
Bechased

[Image: smiley-gen081.gif]

Me.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post