Critical Thinking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2015, 07:22 AM
RE: Critical Thinking
(11-01-2015 12:03 PM)Harvey Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 07:13 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  Is there an expected outcome for mastering it?

Yes. Applying it.

You definitely need critical thinking judging by your vague answers. My advice is don't skip the writing exercises as boring as they are.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2015, 09:30 AM
(10-01-2015 12:25 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  Shouldn't this be in the philosophy section?

I concur. Thread moved.

Cos I was gonna recommend philosophers Dennet (Thinking Tools) and Peter Boghossian too. And Socrates, of course.

Any disagreements? ... I'm a mod, so kiss my metaphysical arse Wink

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
12-01-2015, 11:24 AM
(12-01-2015 07:22 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 12:03 PM)Harvey Wrote:   
Yes. Applying it.

You definitely need critical thinking judging by your vague answers. My advice is don't skip the writing exercises as boring as they are.

I started this thread with the purpose of compiling a list of good books/textbooks on the subject of critical thinking. I have got two titles from gofish, and I have been made aware of a list of general literature on a number of subjects that I find interesting by another user.

It is blatantly evident that you have nothing to contribute. Please find someone else to pester.

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
12-01-2015, 10:58 PM
I was just inquiring your uses for critical thinking. I did and am still doing a course and I didn't/haven't got what I wanted from it.

So I was wondering what your expectations are that's all. But it seems you have a stick up your ass so I'll leave.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
16-01-2015, 10:06 PM
I recommend two books by Mortimer Adler. First read "Six Great Ideas" and then read "Ten Philosophical Mistakes". Those two books you will have a much better understanding of what thinking actually is and how it works.
[+] 1 user Likes Pointwithinacircle's post
17-01-2015, 03:26 PM
(16-01-2015 10:06 PM)Pointwithinacircle Wrote:  I recommend two books by Mortimer Adler. First read "Six Great Ideas" and then read "Ten Philosophical Mistakes". Those two books you will have a much better understanding of what thinking actually is and how it works.

Thanks!

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
08-03-2015, 03:19 AM
Critical thinking is nothing more than intelligent thinking with a decent IQ. Books may be instructive but without a native aptitude for logical reasoning, such an instructional book is about as useful as teaching calculus to a cow!
08-03-2015, 04:18 AM
(08-03-2015 03:19 AM)Transfinite Wrote:  without a native aptitude for logical reasoning, such an instructional book is about as useful as teaching calculus to a cow!

I contend that it is possible to cultivate such an aptitude, just as any other subject may be taught.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
08-03-2015, 06:37 AM
I think we have thousands of years of experience in spotting our own biases and compensating for them, and that intelligence has little to do with the understanding or application of these tools. Learning to question effectively is a skill that I do believe can be taught even if it only at a basic level covering fallacies and giving students experience in their application.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post