Criticism and "right wing political correctness".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Criticism and "right wing political correctness".
I wonder if anyone has noticed the phenomenon that seems to be getting more popular these days. I call it "right wing political correctness" because it seems to be more common amongst ring wingers, but that may not be entirely fair.

What I keep seeing is this. When someone criticises something, especially Christianity or a right wing viewpoint (eg gun control) the person is attacked for being a coward, the argument being that they haven't directed their criticism at Islam. Here's some examples:

Quentin Letts reviews “The Book of Mormon”:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/art...Letts.html

Quote:If you want to attack a religious group, why not militant Islam? Missionaries in central Africa include some of the bravest people in the world.
They promote western values with a benevolence quite lacking from US political and cultural power. But to satirise those forces might not make one a fortune on Broadway. This is a cowardly, coarse, cynical show, worth avoiding.

The Archbishop of Canterbury about a David Bowie video:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/cultu...ishop.html

Quote:I doubt that Bowie would have the courage to use Islamic imagery - I very much doubt it.

Fox News comments on Jim Carrey's anti gun video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj3Ly8EpS2U (around the 0:55 mark.)

I'm not being paranoid am I? Is there this tendency to respond to criticism by calling people a coward for not attacking Islam instead?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2013, 09:08 AM
RE: Criticism and "right wing political correctness".
I think they would say it's part of a hypocritical policy to single-out Christianity.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
30-07-2013, 09:17 AM
(30-07-2013 09:08 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I think they would say it's part of a hypocritical policy to single-out Christianity.

I think the first example I gave, about the Book of Mormon musical, shows why that defense is a bit inadequate. Not only have the creators of the Book of Mormon been pretty critical of Islam on South Park, but they've also depicted Mohammed as a cartoon on national TV! Yet they still get called cowards for a musical about a religion that isn't Islam, despite the fact that the musical isn't that critical of the Mormon religion itself.
30-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Lol, I think that, they think that, they have found common ground....

"Everybody hates towel heads!"

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2013, 09:24 AM
I'm not sure most Christians (when hard-pressed outside of election season) would consider Mormons to be Christians.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
30-07-2013, 09:32 AM
(30-07-2013 09:24 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'm not sure most Christians (when hard-pressed outside of election season) would consider Mormons to be Christians.

I'm not sure most Christians outside America don't know much about Mormons at all, as the writer of the article in question (who is British) clearly considers them Christians.
30-07-2013, 10:14 PM
The bottom line is this: Is it mocking christianity? Yes/No...If yes scream about being offended then insult them for not attacking Islam instead...If no scream about being offended then insult them for not attacking Islam.

Islamaphobia is rampant in the world because Islam is "becoming more violent" and people like to ignore historical evidence that Christianity has killed more people than islam ever will. (Inquisition, Holocaust, Crusades)

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
30-07-2013, 10:27 PM
It's rather annoying, yes. I always make sure to attack Islam, as well though.

But there are a few reasons. For one thing, as an American, I am faced with more Christianity on any given day, so that in itself makes me more likely to say something against it. I mean, politicians here try to get elected by talking about how Christian they are.

For another, now they have this idiotic word "Islamophobia," which they use for anyone who criticizes Islam, now matter how legitimate the criticism is. And then, because people are stupid, people who criticize Islam are called "racists." I know I've been called one by people who can't understand that Islam is not a "race." So I think the reason some people may actually not criticize Islam is because it's annoying to be called an Islamophobic racist, when all you're really doing is criticizing some fucked up beliefs.

But, as has been mentioned, I think they do also think it's to single out xianity, too. Many Xians seem to love playing martyr and thinking they're being persecuted when they are not.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-07-2013, 01:13 AM
(30-07-2013 10:27 PM)amyb Wrote:  It's rather annoying, yes. I always make sure to attack Islam, as well though.

But why should you have to?
31-07-2013, 02:25 AM
I think it is misleading to make the assumption that "left-wingers" are Christian. "Right-wingers" are largely Christian as well. Whatever, that isn't the main point.

The reason why Christianity gets criticized the most in the west is simple. It is the most prominent religion in the west. I think most secular rational people would be just as critical of any of the big three if it were the prominent religion in the west.