Critique My Philosophy of Life?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
20-01-2014, 12:34 PM
RE: Critique My Philosophy of Life?
(20-01-2014 12:32 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  What I meant was, the term is ambiguous and can be subjective. I want to hear what it means to you.

Please see the website in my edited post above.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Seems to me it would just be the qualities most often attributed to the Abrahamic God. Classical, to me, would suggest the gods of classical antiquity - in European tradition this usually means polytheism. Same goes for much of Asia and the Americas. Eh, whatever.

You have an idea of what God is, and believe it doesn't exist. That's fine and dandy. Maybe I should come at this from another angle. What is the difference between belief regarding the metaphysical and unknown (and potentially unknowable) and philosophy.

For example, if I were Christian, would the moral and ethical values I have, which I got from the Bible or other related Christian doctrines/texts/traditions be the result of my personal philosophy to you?

21-01-2014, 07:51 PM
After reading your Philosophical Positions, I enjoyed it. You used valid examples, fluid context and it was organized well. Philosophy is meant to be disagreed with, and everyone will have their own views. To some, your views may seem arbitrary, which is acceptable. However, critiquing your Philosophy without bias, it's great work. Not perfect, but great.

The wise change their minds when facts and experience so demand. The fool does not hear or does not heed. (Wis 4:12-13)
- The Good Book
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-01-2014, 08:00 PM
(25-11-2013 11:20 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Q: Why did the fuse burn?
Your Answer: Initial singularity of the Big Bangy
That sounds kind of cute. Laughat

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
21-01-2014, 08:02 PM
(21-01-2014 07:51 PM)Krabman Wrote:  After reading your Philosophical Positions, I enjoyed it. You used valid examples, fluid context and it was organized well. Philosophy is meant to be disagreed with, and everyone will have their own views. To some, your views may seem arbitrary, which is acceptable. However, critiquing your Philosophy without bias, it's great work. Not perfect, but great.

Thank you for your kind words, Krabman. Please feel free to provide specific feedback on how the document may be improved.
21-01-2014, 08:48 PM
When writing a document where "My", is included in the title, there is no need to restate what you believe by saying "I believe" ; it is obvious. Just a writing tip.

The wise change their minds when facts and experience so demand. The fool does not hear or does not heed. (Wis 4:12-13)
- The Good Book
18-02-2014, 06:18 PM
Please note that I have revised the "Negative hedonism" section of the document.

I have also added a new section entitled "Beyond peace of mind".

I look forward to any feedback you may have.
18-02-2014, 08:33 PM
(20-01-2014 12:55 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  What is the difference between belief regarding the metaphysical and unknown (and potentially unknowable) and philosophy.

Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy and has been since Aristotle coined the word and it has nothing to do with the "unknown", the occult, spirits, ghosts and related shit.
18-02-2014, 08:33 PM
(21-01-2014 08:00 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 11:20 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Q: Why did the fuse burn?
Your Answer: Initial singularity of the Big Bangy
That sounds kind of cute. Laughat

It is.
11-08-2014, 04:06 PM
The link in the OP is now inactive. My philosophy may now be found at the following link:

http://philosofer123.wordpress.com