Critique my open letter to BBN

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2014, 08:25 AM
RE: Critique my open letter to BBN
(23-07-2014 11:56 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  They bought out our local rock station... so yeah, not very happy about it. Going to send this to them:

To whom it may concern at Bible Broadcasting Network:

This is an open letter in regards to your recent acquisition of KRDJ in New Iberia, Louisiana. While I understand the business decision and how the purchase makes sense in regards to the expansion of your organization, I cannot help but to question the impact of your purchase on the local community, and how it conflicts with Christian teachings that you have based your organization around. It certainly seems that the decision to purchase KRDJ was made from a purely profit oriented perspective instead of being motivated from a Christ-centered perspective.

I understand the weight behind my words, and how accusing a Christian broadcasting company of acting non-Christian can be seen as a very harsh and biting criticism. I also understand and accept that I do not know the inner details of the purchase and what BBN’s plans are for the station; but, after scrutinizing and analyzing this situation, I realized that my ignorance of the inner workings of the purchase are moot and irrelevant due to perception.

As you most undoubtedly know, perception is more powerful than truth at times – which may or may not be a factor with KRDJ. The perception of this purchase, as aforementioned, seems to be totally business oriented and based purely in greed.

There are several questions that arise when a layman, such as myself, view this type of purchase (I would also like to reiterate that my perception as a commoner is shared; thus, perception becomes fact regardless of the actual truths behind this purchase).

1) How is it that a non-profit organization can make such a substantial purchase ($10,000,000 USD)?
2) What are the motives behind moving into this market? KRDJ’s range (~Lafayette to ~Baton Rouge) is supersaturated with religious (Christian) radio stations (around 2 dozen throughout the listening area). The Law of Diminishing Returns comes into play here. How do you justify this?
3) As a Christian based organization how do you justify putting people out of work and removing their ability to provide for themselves and their families? Are you supporting those individuals with supplemental pay until you find them another job? If not, as a Christian organization, how do you reconcile these actions?
4) KRDJ is the only Rock (not counting Classical Rock) station in the entire listening area. Why was the sole station in a music genre chosen to effectively be eliminated, thus isolating an entire niche of listeners, supporters, local bands, and community? There are numerous Country, Rap/Hip-Hop, Pop, etc. stations that could have been purchased that would have a far lesser impact upon the local community than eliminating an entire piece of subculture. How do you justify this action?
5) Rock 93.7 was/is very active in the local community and in the local band scene. They have given many local bands incredible opportunities for promotion and success that they would not have been able to find elsewhere. How is BBN planning to continue to promote the local community and give its residents opportunities for success? If you are not planning to do anything, from a Christian and a business perspective, how do you justify the disservice your purchase of KRDJ has on the local community?
6) How do you reconcile the obvious conclusion that potential for new listeners to BBN via KRDJ is minimal? Generally speaking, the current listeners will no longer listen to KRDJ. This, in turn, also raises some questions:
A) How is this an effective means of reaching people for Christ if non-Christians will not be listening and the potential for non-Christians to listen is extremely low?
B) In regards to the above, how do you reconcile the perception that the station is only for current BBN listeners and that the purchase was to simply expand territory for personal greed?
C) How are you going to combat the inevitable reputation that will be garnered in the local area (or greater) that your company is a greedy, hypocritical organization that cares only about its profits; not about the local community; not about reaching people for Christ.
D) In regards to Points A-C, as a Christian organization, how do you justify and reconcile the fact that you will be representing Christ and Christianity as a whole in a negative and hypocritical way?

I believe these questions are justified and deserved to be answered. Your purchase of KRDJ is affecting thousands of people that have invested deeply into the community and the culture that Rock 93.7 nurtured and produced since its inception. I believe we are all entitled to these answers that affect our lives.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Seems decent enough to me.

But if I have to be honest here, I must say that questioning how they can reconcile their various negative acts with the teachings of christ caused the 'funny' part of my brain to fire. I mean, isn't it a long standing tradition that religious people and groups ignore their teachings when it suits them? Their kin from ages long past did it for millennia; why stop now?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
24-07-2014, 04:52 PM
RE: Critique my open letter to BBN
(23-07-2014 11:56 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is an open letter in regards to your recent acquisition of KRDJ in New Iberia, Louisiana. While I understand the business decision and how the purchase makes sense in regards to the expansion of your organization, I cannot help but to question the impact of your purchase on the local community, and how it conflicts with Christian teachings that you have based your organization around. ...
---

Something to help while working for brevity, is being conscious of redundancy. Same phrases used in back to back sentences - sounds like a stutter to the brain.

Try for streamlining things: "Regarding BBN's recent acquisition of KRDJ ... " "While I understand the business decision makes sense, in light of your organization's expansion ..."
"Regarding" and "in light of" mean the same thing.

Remember: economy with words reads quick and smart.

(23-07-2014 11:56 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I understand the weight behind my words, and how accusing a Christian broadcasting company of acting non-Christian can be seen as a very harsh and biting criticism. I also understand and accept that I do not know the inner details of the purchase and what BBN’s plans are for the station; but, after scrutinizing and analyzing this situation, I realized that my ignorance of the inner workings of the purchase are moot and irrelevant due to perception.

In one sentence you tell them you are going to eat them alive, while in the next sentence you tell them you have no idea what you are talking about. You have revealed your inner crackpot. All of the above tells them that you are just another crazy who is ignorantly bitching just to bitch... so they can just stop reading right now and toss this into the trash.

Sorry, I have to go to work.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post