Crosses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Crosses
When crucifixions still took place why would they spend money on wood, an expensive commodity using it to nail up criminals?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2014, 07:33 PM
RE: Crosses
That's a good question. I mean, it's not like wood just grows on trees, right?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like BnW's post
26-01-2014, 06:08 AM
It's hard to nail bodies to anything else!
26-01-2014, 06:38 AM
Why do you think that wood was expensive?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
26-01-2014, 06:49 AM
(23-01-2014 06:54 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  When crucifixions still took place why would they spend money on wood, an expensive commodity using it to nail up criminals?

It wasn't a cost issue, not like wood and iron nails were ever pricy to anybody not a peasant anyway...

Crucifixion was, on paper, a method of torture execution; in theory those unlucky enough to be condemned to a crucifix were effectively to be tortured to death very slowly. Where's the fun in killing if you don't make it as slow and painful as possible, eh ancient peoples of the world?

Of course this probably wasn't the practise, chances are guards would 'help' hasten the death through stabbing or smashing the victim so they could go on with their day.

Point is; it was cheap, slow and painful, perfect for teaching the locals a few lessons.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
26-01-2014, 07:36 AM
(26-01-2014 06:49 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(23-01-2014 06:54 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  When crucifixions still took place why would they spend money on wood, an expensive commodity using it to nail up criminals?

It wasn't a cost issue, not like wood and iron nails were ever pricy to anybody not a peasant anyway...

Crucifixion was, on paper, a method of torture execution; in theory those unlucky enough to be condemned to a crucifix were effectively to be tortured to death very slowly. Where's the fun in killing if you don't make it as slow and painful as possible, eh ancient peoples of the world?

Of course this probably wasn't the practise, chances are guards would 'help' hasten the death through stabbing or smashing the victim so they could go on with their day.

Point is; it was cheap, slow and painful, perfect for teaching the locals a few lessons.

Torture devices also make great adornments. I'd prefer an iron maiden necklace however. Or water torture shoes.

The Out Crowd.
26-01-2014, 07:37 AM
(26-01-2014 07:36 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(26-01-2014 06:49 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  It wasn't a cost issue, not like wood and iron nails were ever pricy to anybody not a peasant anyway...

Torture devices also make great adornments. I'd prefer an iron maiden necklace however. Or water torture shoes.

And some can be quite practical too!

nothing quite like Brazen Bull cooked baby!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
26-01-2014, 07:38 AM
(26-01-2014 07:37 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(26-01-2014 07:36 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Torture devices also make great adornments. I'd prefer an iron maiden necklace however. Or water torture shoes.

And some can be quite practical too!

nothing quite like Brazen Bull cooked baby!

Mmm. BBQ baby.

The Out Crowd.
26-01-2014, 11:20 AM
(26-01-2014 07:36 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(26-01-2014 06:49 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  It wasn't a cost issue, not like wood and iron nails were ever pricy to anybody not a peasant anyway...

I have a lovely collection of electric chairs in my house people always compliment me on.
[+] 1 user Likes meremortal's post
26-01-2014, 11:25 AM
You make it sound like those who were crucified got their very own cross forever. Those crosses were used over and over again. One cross could serve for hundreds of crucifixions.

Check out my blog: http://www.aisforatheist.blogspot.com It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post