Cruel joke?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Cruel joke?
So, it just came to my attention that the Louisiana School for the Deaf and the Louisiana School for the Blind consolidated and became one school with the students intermingled.

So...

...yeah...

Will someone please explain to me how blind and deaf people are supposed to communicate with each other?

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2012, 05:02 PM
RE: Cruel joke?
(04-01-2012 04:53 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  So, it just came to my attention that the Louisiana School for the Deaf and the Louisiana School for the Blind consolidated and became one school with the students intermingled.

So...

...yeah...

Will someone please explain to me how blind and deaf people are supposed to communicate with each other?

Cajun mind meld?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2012, 05:11 PM
I think it's a fantastic message. It says, "just because you have a disability doesn't mean you can't interact with everyone."

The blind can still hear, and their hearing and understanding is often more accute. So when a deaf person speaks, they will become more confident when their speech is understood. Likewise, a deaf person can still see, and will likely have an easier time understanding sign language from a blind person (it's more difficult to learn because they can't see the signs they are learning) because they are accustomed to alternative types of communication. When I was learning to sign, it was always deaf people who could understand me. Until I was well practiced, hearing people could never figure out what I was trying to sign (arthritis in my hands make me "mumble" when I sign)

Remember that people with communication disabilities are often superior communicators, because they use alternative comm all the time. Plus what a great example to set for those of us who are nervous about interacting with people because of a barrier like blindness or deafness.

I say it's a great idea!

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
04-01-2012, 05:56 PM
(04-01-2012 05:11 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I think it's a fantastic message. It says, "just because you have a disability doesn't mean you can't interact with everyone."

The blind can still hear, and their hearing and understanding is often more accute. So when a deaf person speaks, they will become more confident when their speech is understood. Likewise, a deaf person can still see, and will likely have an easier time understanding sign language from a blind person (it's more difficult to learn because they can't see the signs they are learning) because they are accustomed to alternative types of communication. When I was learning to sign, it was always deaf people who could understand me. Until I was well practiced, hearing people could never figure out what I was trying to sign (arthritis in my hands make me "mumble" when I sign)

Remember that people with communication disabilities are often superior communicators, because they use alternative comm all the time. Plus what a great example to set for those of us who are nervous about interacting with people because of a barrier like blindness or deafness.

I say it's a great idea!

Totally agree! The deaf can see brail Smile
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
04-01-2012, 10:31 PM
It's not like we have the greatest schools here in Louisiana, lmao. I think my kids have gotten less educated since we moved back to Louisiana. I have occasional issues with the school board and HS principal here. These people are idiots and could care less about the kids education.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2012, 07:04 AM
Stark has a point. This could be a breakthrough. Although.....It will be funny as hell at first...I am a terrible person.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 2 users Like Hamata k's post
05-01-2012, 10:39 AM
(04-01-2012 04:53 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  So, it just came to my attention that the Louisiana School for the Deaf and the Louisiana School for the Blind consolidated and became one school with the students intermingled.

So...

...yeah...

well .. you know that old deaf joke don't ya...

Deaf couple is going to bed and the wife signs to the husband "with the lights out.. how do you want me to tell you if I wanna have sex or not.." The husband responds with " if you want to have sex then jerk the meat once.. if you don't then jerk on it 40 times...."

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
05-01-2012, 09:32 PM
This is pretty cool, and human/computer interfaces also have a big role to play. (Not talking about wires running to the brain - just your method of interaction whether is visual/keyboard/mouse/speech/etc.)

I'm hoping that soon that there will be no such thing as a language barrier. Translation programs are getting better all the time. Especially the Google one that allows you to make corrections and learns from them via statistical analysis.

Google isn't scanning all those books into the computer just for humans to read. It's also for computers to read and learn from the language patterns.

Exciting times we live in!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
05-01-2012, 09:43 PM
One of the amazing things about humans is we always find a way to overcome obstacles.
Braille seems the logical choice at first, but i can't imagine it being used in the long term for pupils to communicate with each other as it takes time to write out each letter.

There is a school for kids with Sensory Impairments along the road for me, so its not a new concept.
05-01-2012, 09:59 PM
It would be even funnier if they included mutes and those that are all 3. An experiment in mans ability to communicate or the only reality show i would actually watch?

Evolve