Crystals what technological purpose can they be used for?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2016, 01:15 PM
RE: Crystals what technological purpose can they be used for?
So the whole using a crystal to store information in (like they did in the Superman movies and Stargate) isn´t as far fetched as the movie made it seem?
I didn´t know the thing about sandpaper and the other things either but that´s good to know.

As for crystal radio if the wiki on them is right they had their last greatness in 1950s i am from 1983 so probably not.
I´m more used to having getoblasters and tapes (kids these days will never understand why a pensil and a tape went so well together)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Companionship - diamonds are a girl's best friend. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
30-03-2016, 01:28 PM
(30-03-2016 01:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  Companionship - diamonds are a girl's best friend. Tongue

Give me calcite any day of the week over lame-ass diamonds.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
30-03-2016, 01:32 PM
(30-03-2016 01:15 PM)Erikjust Wrote:  So the whole using a crystal to store information in (like they did in the Superman movies and Stargate) isn´t as far fetched as the movie made it seem?
When William Gibson (the cyberpunk guy) got his first computer he was surprised we didn't already use crystals for storage.
30-03-2016, 01:37 PM
(30-03-2016 01:28 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 01:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  Companionship - diamonds are a girl's best friend. Tongue

Give me calcite any day of the week over lame-ass diamonds.

Calcite may be the best decoration for a girl, but lacks the value of being able to fall back on it when times are bad.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-03-2016, 01:38 PM
(30-03-2016 01:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 01:28 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Give me calcite any day of the week over lame-ass diamonds.

Calcite may be the best decoration for a girl, but lacks the value of being able to fall back on it when times are bad.

I can always fall back on calcite for being a miracle mineral in the world of paleontological research!

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
30-03-2016, 01:40 PM
(30-03-2016 01:38 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 01:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  Calcite may be the best decoration for a girl, but lacks the value of being able to fall back on it when times are bad.

I can always fall back on calcite for being a miracle mineral in the world of paleontological research!

That and 5 bucks will buy you a cup of coffee.

30-03-2016, 01:43 PM
Very serious things

[Image: enhanced-buzz-9731-1279657216-42.jpg]

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
31-03-2016, 05:29 PM
(30-03-2016 01:43 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Very serious things

[Image: enhanced-buzz-9731-1279657216-42.jpg]
That's some seriously creepy shit.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
01-04-2016, 01:04 AM
All the CPU's on this planet are made using 99.9999999% purity silicon crystals that are almost completely defect free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wafer_(electronics)

It's what makes the most common types of solar panels possible. It's pretty amazing that we can produce such large defect free crystals in Earth gravity. Our current generation of CPU's is pushing this technology to its limits. The larger CPU's have a greater number of defects which lowers the yield and raises production costs.

CPU's are designed such that faulty sections can be disabled at the factory. Entire CPU cores and parts of the L1 and L2 cache can be disabled by cutting specific areas of the chip with a laser. This way multiple product lines are produced. The CPU's with correctable defects are sold as lower tier processors for the workstation market and the best cpu's might be sold for use in servers for a premium price.

/rant

Sorry - can't help myself sometimes! Tongue

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 3 users Like DeepThought's post