RE: Cuba-bound
Cuba has a great cuisine
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MuntyJay's post
30-08-2017, 07:58 PM
I'm back.

I picked up a box of Cohiba Esplendidos for my brother. They go for $600 here but I had connections and got it for $200. Also, got some rum for friends. Again, connections.

We had lunch at a local hotel and my wife had a pork chop dish that was pretty amazing. It was the most tender, succulent chop we've ever had. My shrimp in garlic oil was OK, but not great. We visited many of the tourist traps, such as Hemingway's bar and we saw the hotel where he wrote "For Whom the Bell Tolls." I visited a chocolate factory and did some shopping at the local market. Picked up a couple of Che shirts, made sure one was in Communist green to piss of some people I know.

We took a two-hour tour in a classic Ford Victoria convertible, visiting Old Habana, modern Habana, Miramar, the Jose Marti Tower and some other landmarks. It was a great day, but I have no desire to go back. It was dirty, smelly and depressing in those areas. If I were to return, I would want to see more culture, like the Revolucion Museum and the national art museum, or stay with my buddy. I'm not likely to visit the beaches as I live in Florida and have the most beautiful beaches in the world in my back yard.

It was just so dirty, and as you likely know, I've been around the world and seen some serious poverty. It was tough to know the iPhone in my pocket cost more than what a lot of these people make in a year.

I'll return next year because my company is going there again, but I'm not willfully going again.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
31-08-2017, 02:28 PM
Did you get a sense about how the people feel about Americans?
31-08-2017, 03:24 PM
From the little interaction I had, they were extremely friendly. Now, that doesn't mean they didn't secretly hate us, but those we encountered were nice and generous.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
31-08-2017, 07:01 PM
(31-08-2017 03:24 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  From the little interaction I had, they were extremely friendly. Now, that doesn't mean they didn't secretly hate us, but those we encountered were nice and generous.

Ok thanks I suppose their was a "customer/supplier" dynamic which of course knows no international boundries. It will be a great day when US/Cuban relations are really normalized and people can visit back and forth casually.
01-09-2017, 07:41 AM
Yep. Americans are already flooding Havana, so if you want to see Cuba the way it's been for 50 years, get there soon.

----
01-09-2017, 07:49 AM
You Canadians are lucky.
When I went to Canada for a couple years on a contract people used to always go to Cuba on vacation
It was inexpensive because Americans couldn't go there.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]