Cults and Mind Control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Cults and Mind Control
I usually post lighthearted and humerous stuff here, but some of my next posts are going to be pretty dark. I apologize, but I think this is important stuff to see.

This movie is about cults. But a lot of the techniques and manipulation are present in mainstream religions as well.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
09-05-2012, 07:18 PM
RE: Cults and Mind Control
Personally I don't understand why people keep separating the two.

There is literally only one difference between a "cult" and a "religion". Popularity.
Otherwise they both fall under the same definition.

Let's all destroy barriers and call religion what it is. Cult.

Nice video though gangster.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
09-05-2012, 07:57 PM
(09-05-2012 07:18 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Personally I don't understand why people keep separating the two.

There is literally only one difference between a "cult" and a "religion". Popularity.

After all, one could argue Jesus of Nazereth had a small cult of 12 circa 30 AD. it just grew........

Usually people give The separation between cults and religion as cults have a negative impact while religions are benign

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

10-05-2012, 01:46 AM
(09-05-2012 07:57 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Usually people give The separation between cults and religion as cults have a negative impact while religions are benign

Except when a cult becomes a religion. I see a lot of mormonism in that video! I can recall bits and pieces of my mormon upbringing transformed through the decades into something more mainstream and christian. I can remember when it was like "Joseph Smith is the man!!!" now it's like "well, we know more about Christ than you do!!!"

So glad to be free of that BS Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2012, 05:25 AM
(09-05-2012 07:18 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Personally I don't understand why people keep separating the two.

I was going to comment but you said pretty much what I was gonna say. So instead I will just comment informing everybody that that is what I was going to say.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
10-05-2012, 05:32 AM
Natural selection tends to ensure that old cults are somewhat tamer than new cults. Once a religion has been through ten or so generations it is likely to have some of its more lethal corners knocked off, at least those lethal to its members.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
10-05-2012, 02:03 PM
It's been said before, but:

Cult: a small, unpopular religion.
Religion: a large, popular cult.

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Quidsane's post
10-05-2012, 04:24 PM
I guess a cult depends heavily on constantly increasing recruitment for money. That's probably why most of these do not survive for very long.

Unless you let some of the people go out and work for money.... or the cult itself sells something...think about it. If you joined a cult now and stopped making money, and the cult took all your money, would it be enough to house and feed you for the rest of your life? Recruiting druggies and such isn't going to help much unless they will produce money while in the cult.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-05-2012, 04:49 PM
(10-05-2012 04:24 PM)Dom Wrote:  I guess a cult depends heavily on constantly increasing recruitment for money. That's probably why most of these do not survive for very long.

Unless you let some of the people go out and work for money.... or the cult itself sells something...think about it. If you joined a cult now and stopped making money, and the cult took all your money, would it be enough to house and feed you for the rest of your life? Recruiting druggies and such isn't going to help much unless they will produce money while in the cult.

Well that's true of any religion.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"