Cumin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Cumin
I bought some cumin at Walmart (it was 88 cents) for no reason other than the fact that I like spices.

So I tried it.

I like it, but it has a very distinct flavor... a flavor I know I've tasted... somewhere... in something.

But, for the life of me, I cannot place where I've tasted cumin. Does anyone know of any common dishes that might contain it?

I live in Southern LA, if that helps.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2015, 08:38 AM
RE: Cumin
Cumin is the one spice that is absolutely essential in my opinion if you are going to make a curry.

You cannot have a curry without it.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
20-08-2015, 08:39 AM
(20-08-2015 08:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I bought some cumin at Walmart (it was 88 cents) for no reason other than the fact that I like spices.

So I tried it.

I like it, but it has a very distinct flavor... a flavor I know I've tasted... somewhere... in something.

But, for the life of me, I cannot place where I've tasted cumin. Does anyone know of any common dishes that might contain it?

I live in Southern LA, if that helps.

Dark bread? Mexican food? Indian food?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
20-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Jesus KC, just clean up when you're done OK?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
20-08-2015, 08:54 AM
It's in a lot of Indian dishes (i.e. aloo gobi/chana masala etc.)
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
20-08-2015, 08:58 AM
A frequent street vendor item in China is grilled sheep rolled in cumin. That's just the first random thing that comes to mind Tongue But yeah it's used in a lot of things.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
20-08-2015, 09:08 AM
Just the smell of curry gags me. I blame the Navy, my first and only exposure to cumin has been through the Navy. That violent baby shit yellow chicken with the (to me) gaggy smell and flavor has turned me off from EVER considering eating it. I was actually forced to eat it the other night because I had duty and it was the only meat offered that night...I knew I had burnt a lot of calories running around on duty and needed the protein, and I was STARVING...I hadnt tried it in over 20 years, and out of desperation...took two bites, and spent the rest of the night looking for a stray cat so I could lick its ass to get the taste out of my mouth. Weeping

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
20-08-2015, 12:19 PM
(20-08-2015 08:45 AM)morondog Wrote:  Jesus KC, just clean up when you're done OK?

Lol glad I'm not the only one with those thoughts.

Cumin is used in many Asian, Mexican, and Mediterranean dishes. Curry, Chili, Enchilladas, if you have had anything like that then you probably have had cumin.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
20-08-2015, 01:21 PM
(20-08-2015 12:19 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  if you have had anything like that then you probably have had cumin.

That's what she said

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
20-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Ooh, Kingsy, if you want to try another interesting spice - also used many of the same foods as cumin - get some tamarind seed. It's extremely powerful and very unique - kinda tangy. I think you'd really appreciate it.

Can't make my favorite mole without cumin and tamarind. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post