Cumin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2015, 01:53 PM
RE: Cumin
I love cumin. I've had it with curry, but I mainly use it on a Greek dish which is basically meatballs with a tomato sauce and cumin gives it its characteristic flavor. That's where my mind goes when I think of it.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2015, 01:55 PM
(20-08-2015 08:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I bought some cumin at Walmart (it was 88 cents) for no reason other than the fact that I like spices.

So I tried it.

I like it, but it has a very distinct flavor... a flavor I know I've tasted... somewhere... in something.

But, for the life of me, I cannot place where I've tasted cumin. Does anyone know of any common dishes that might contain it?

I live in Southern LA, if that helps.

I use cumin in both Mexican and Chinese dishes.

Be careful with it, the distinct flavor can easily overpower a good dish. Use it sparingly, and by all means keep it away from Italian food.
20-08-2015, 02:23 PM
See? and what sucks is I am a foodie through and through, I literally live to eat....and there are two things that people usually profess are amazing....a good curry dish, and spicy food like thai. Weeping I cant even stand the smell of cumin in the spice bottle let alone on food, and I have ZERO tolerance for hot food. I used to love....well like hooters hot wings, at the hot level, so no, I have never been a HOT food guy...but now I cant even bite into a tame jalepeno (which I LOVE) without immediately having sweat pop out on the back of my head and run down my neck....freaking disgusting. I went to a wing place, and got like their "medium" level wings....I am sitting there dunking them in ranch and enjoying myself and I feel something drip on me, I look up thinking the A/C was dripping on me or something, reach up to the back of my head...I was RAINING sweat.....*vomit* sooooo disgusting....so many spicy foods, like thai etc that I cannot eat......and want too Weeping

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
20-08-2015, 02:35 PM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2015 02:40 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
I'm as prone to spice-sweat as you are, GwoG, so I'm not a fan of spicy foods, either.

I know, you're thinking, "he's Cajun; he has to like spicy food!" But in fact, we use cayenne pepper sparingly in most dishes, and it's rare I break a sweat. The reason people think Cajun food is super-spicy is that people originally came to Louisiana and tried a spice they'd never had before, so it seemed hot to them... but it was delicious, so they asked for hot. Our older folks do make hotter food, because they're so accustomed to the taste of the cayenne that they tend to add a lot more; it's not uncommon for us to make separate batches for old and young... of course, we can't help sometimes but to serve the hotter stuff to the guests, to "show them they're welcomed". Tongue

Nowdays, the whole country seems to be on a masochist "burn me, I love it, please sir may I have another" kind of kick, which I just don't get.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
20-08-2015, 02:49 PM
(20-08-2015 08:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  But, for the life of me, I cannot place where I've tasted cumin. Does anyone know of any common dishes that might contain it?
Have you ever had Chai tea?
20-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Cumin'?

[Image: Ariel_I_CAME.jpg]

I'll let myself out...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
08-09-2015, 06:12 AM
(20-08-2015 09:08 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Just the smell of curry gags me. I blame the Navy, my first and only exposure to cumin has been through the Navy. That violent baby shit yellow chicken with the (to me) gaggy smell and flavor has turned me off from EVER considering eating it. I was actually forced to eat it the other night because I had duty and it was the only meat offered that night...I knew I had burnt a lot of calories running around on duty and needed the protein, and I was STARVING...I hadnt tried it in over 20 years, and out of desperation...took two bites, and spent the rest of the night looking for a stray cat so I could lick its ass to get the taste out of my mouth. Weeping

I could make you a curry so good that you'd take a bite of it and your tongue would slap your brains out. Drooling
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
08-09-2015, 06:55 AM
Re: Cumin
Cumin is used in many hummus recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes mecanna's post
08-09-2015, 07:25 AM
That you would have had in southern Louisiana?

Chili, green chili, chili powder, most Mexican foods...

I don't remember using it in any Cajun or Creole dishes.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman