Curcumin - what isn't it good for?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2015, 03:37 AM
Curcumin - what isn't it good for?
Liver, lungs, skin, brain, metabolic disroders, cancer, gut ... what isn't curcumin good for?

[Image: curcumin.jpg]

And before Chas goes all "woo! woo! woo!" on me, it's one of the few herbal remedies which has known mechanisms of action and a boatload of clinical research behind it: Potential Therapeutic Effects of Curcumin, the Anti-inflammatory Agent, Against Neurodegenerative, Cardiovascular, Pulmonary, Metabolic, Autoimmune and Neoplastic Diseases

I take a lot of it for various ailments. Like 5-10g/day lot of it.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
19-04-2015, 06:30 AM
RE: Curcumin - what isn't it good for?
The last sentence of the Conclusion:
"Further clinical trials are needed to fully develop the potential of this “age-old NSAID”."

But you go right ahead and take whatever formulation and dosage you want to.

Me? I'll wait for at least some trials on safety and efficacy and maybe a word or two from the FDA.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-04-2015, 06:33 AM
No plant is "intended" to be used as medicine....

It's just a happy accident that some things work in our favor....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-04-2015, 07:37 AM
(19-04-2015 06:33 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  No plant is "intended" to be used as medicine....

I'd call it ecology rather than happy accident. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-04-2015, 07:47 AM
(19-04-2015 06:33 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  No plant is "intended" to be used as medicine....

Doesn't aspirin come from a plant? Consider

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
19-04-2015, 08:15 AM
(19-04-2015 07:47 AM)Anjele Wrote:  

Doesn't aspirin come from a plant? Consider

So does Strychnine Tongue

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
19-04-2015, 08:21 AM
(19-04-2015 08:15 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(19-04-2015 07:47 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Doesn't aspirin come from a plant? Consider

So does Strychnine Tongue

Cocaine, peyote, opium...and that green stuff that seems so popular.

I think it's just being resourceful. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-04-2015, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2015 09:28 AM by GirlyMan.)
(19-04-2015 06:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  Me? I'll wait for at least some trials on safety and efficacy and maybe a word or two from the FDA.

You didn't read the paper did you old man. There are plenty of studies on both the safety and efficacy referenced in that paper which is basically a literature survey and aggregation of those studies. Table 1 summarizes the >100 studies the paper comments on. In terms of toxicity it has no known LD50 but adverse side effects in rats include "ulcers, chronic active inflammation, hyperplasia of the cecum, and forestomach, increased incidences of clitoral gland adenomas, the development of hepatocellular adenoma and intestinal carcinoma" were noted at dosages of around 2.5g/kg of bodyweight. Beyond a certain dosage it seems to have the opposite effects from its therapeutic value. For me that would be some 300g/day or some 50x what I normally take. This U-shaped or J-shaped therapeutic curve is typical for many medications.

As for the FDA, first they approve Avandia for my fatass diabetes, then they withdraw Avandia from the approved list of medications because of a potential increase in heart attacks, then they said no no it's okay and put it back on their approved list. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence from me. Feels like the FDA may be politicized. That, and the European Food Safety Authority has in fact weighed in on its safety in a Scientific Opinion on the re-evaluation of curcumin (E 100) as a food additive.

I know how to read these studies old man. I don't just take shit willy nilly out of desperation. Tongue

#sigh
19-04-2015, 09:51 AM
(19-04-2015 09:15 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-04-2015 06:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  Me? I'll wait for at least some trials on safety and efficacy and maybe a word or two from the FDA.

You didn't read the paper did you old man. There are plenty of studies on both the safety and efficacy referenced in that paper which is basically a literature survey and aggregation of those studies. Table 1 summarizes the >100 studies the paper comments on. In terms of toxicity it has no known LD50 but adverse side effects in rats include "ulcers, chronic active inflammation, hyperplasia of the cecum, and forestomach, increased incidences of clitoral gland adenomas, the development of hepatocellular adenoma and intestinal carcinoma" were noted at dosages of around 2.5g/kg of bodyweight. Beyond a certain dosage it seems to have the opposite effects from its therapeutic value. For me that would be some 300g/day or some 50x what I normally take. This U-shaped or J-shaped therapeutic curve is typical for many medications.

As for the FDA, first they approve Avandia for my fatass diabetes, then they withdraw Avandia from the approved list of medications because of a potential increase in heart attacks, then they said no no it's okay and put it back on their approved list. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence from me. Feels like the FDA may be politicized. That, and the European Food Safety Authority has in fact weighed in on its safety in a Scientific Opinion on the re-evaluation of curcumin (E 100) as a food additive.

I know how to read these studies old man. I don't just take shit willy nilly out of desperation. Tongue

Baby, You just need jesus in your life!

[Image: 2ij2lcg.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
19-04-2015, 10:15 AM
(19-04-2015 09:51 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(19-04-2015 09:15 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You didn't read the paper did you old man. There are plenty of studies on both the safety and efficacy referenced in that paper which is basically a literature survey and aggregation of those studies. Table 1 summarizes the >100 studies the paper comments on. In terms of toxicity it has no known LD50 but adverse side effects in rats include "ulcers, chronic active inflammation, hyperplasia of the cecum, and forestomach, increased incidences of clitoral gland adenomas, the development of hepatocellular adenoma and intestinal carcinoma" were noted at dosages of around 2.5g/kg of bodyweight. Beyond a certain dosage it seems to have the opposite effects from its therapeutic value. For me that would be some 300g/day or some 50x what I normally take. This U-shaped or J-shaped therapeutic curve is typical for many medications.

Baby, You just need jesus in your life!

[Image: 2ij2lcg.jpg]

The mistake the Catholics are making is that exorcisms need to be done in Spanish not Latin.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post