Poll: Do you believe there can be a cure to death?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Cure for death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2010, 03:18 AM

Rainbow Cure for death?
For a while now, I've believed that there is a cure to death. And with religion, it's setting us back.. Because every one is thinking were meant to die and go to a place in the sky, etc, etc. But, I truly believe there is a cure for death.. Is any one else with me on this? If so, state what you think can contribute to the cure. If you oppose, that's fine too. I figured I'd get some negative nancys lol.
Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2010, 04:17 AM
RE: Cure for death?
If you were careful you still die because your DNA breaks down the more it is reproduced. If we found a way to have the DNA replicate itself perfectly every time then yes, there is the cure for old age, and if just about anything can be cured a very careful and health person could, in theory, be immortal.

Perfect DNA reproduction is = cure for death.

Still, religion it hardly to blame for us not finding this cure. Even if you factor in religions holding back western technology you have to acknowledge that eastern technology didn't advance much either and it didn't have dogma holding it back.

So yeah, there is a cure to death which could theoretically be found through advanced technological and biological science, but I don't think religion has anything to do with it.

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2010, 06:17 AM
(29-11-2010 04:17 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  So yeah, there is a cure to death which could theoretically be found through advanced technological and biological science, but I don't think religion has anything to do with it.

Religions would want to stop it though, they'd probably say something along the lines of "only god can live forever, who are we to change a persons fate?!"

of course there would be politicians who want the cure for only themselves.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
29-11-2010, 07:55 AM

I think we need to be able to fix the rest of our problems before we try to stop death. We already have massive overpopulation in many areas and if people stop dieing then we will have a huge problem if we're not prepared. Right now we can't even provide water for the worlds population. I suppose we could but doing it is another story.

About 56 million people die a year around the world. So if we stopped death 18 years later we would have about a billion more people that would have been dead. That's not taking into consideration if stopping death would increase reproduction.

I wouldn't want to live forever probably. I think after a few hundred years I would get sick of it and want to kill myself lol. Stopping the physical aging at 25 or something would be pretty cool though. I would want my mind to continually grow though.

I do think that it is possible. I have heard some interesting theories on scientifically stopping death. It seems that if you can make the body continually produce all the cells it needs while fighting of diseases and injuries it could be possible. If we can clone people then who knows what we can do.
29-11-2010, 10:16 AM
(29-11-2010 04:17 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  If you were careful you still die because your DNA breaks down the more it is reproduced. If we found a way to have the DNA replicate itself perfectly every time then yes, there is the cure for old age, and if just about anything can be cured a very careful and health person could, in theory, be immortal.

Perfect DNA reproduction is = cure for death.

Which basically means that there can't be a cure for death.

Your DNA "breaks down" during replication by dropping a few things from the end of the chromosome. Your body has a built-in buffer against this in the form of "telomeres", a region of DNA which basically does nothing but get a little shorter when it replicates. This is why you age - when your telomeres run out, your cells can't replicate any more.

As far as we know, it's not possible for DNA to replicate without shortening the chromosome. The only cure for death would be to freeze your cells in place, keeping them from replicating entirely.

Of course, I'm no biologist, so I'm probably dead wrong here.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
29-11-2010, 01:34 PM

There is no genetic reason why we age, or why we die, or even why our ability to repair our mistakes diminishes with age. The evolutionary reason would since the genes we carry are much more important than the body itself, once reproduction has occurred, the body is no longer important and resources are not devoted to its upkeep, and are instead diverted to ensuring the success of the next generation. That is why the natural human life expectancy is at the upper end of fertility. This also explains why women live longer than men (they are needed longer than men to raise young etc...)

Immortality is an active field of research in biology. It would be accomplished by repeatedly reverting our visible age (I don't know how) so whenever we are physically 60 (regardless of our true age) a procedure would fix mistakes within us and return us to 30. This would avoid us being 1000 years old and looking it lol. I can't find an article to link you guys right now but I'll check for one later.

I think religion may resist the introduction of this method (as it would blow a gaping hole through their bullshit, one so irreconcilable that you have to be a brain dead idiotic fucking moron to continue believing in religion once immortality is achieved). However, it wouldn't hold it back because religion doesn't really affect scientific research anymore, at least in the western world (I'm sure someone could prove me wrong here) and it certainly won't in 50 to 100 years when this could be achieved.

Regardless of immortality, we will continue to see the the human life span expand. Overpopulation will not be an issue due to declining fertility rates. The human population will peak at 9 billion in 2050 then decline to less than 5 by 2100 or something like that.
01-12-2010, 08:26 PM

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/20...treatments

One of many recent breakthroughs.
01-12-2010, 08:31 PM
I never really like the idea of immortality. It's best having a short and happy life than a long and boring life.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
01-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Guaranteed Cure for Death. Don't get born. OOOPs. We're too late.
Find all posts by this user
05-12-2010, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the feed back everyone. But question for TruthAddict.. Are you saying, once someone has a baby, their body stops treating them the way it did before hand? So it's a negative thing?? Because your whole reproduction talk through me off. haha.