Poll: Do you believe there can be a cure to death?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Cure for death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2011, 10:36 PM
RE: Cure for death?
This is very cool, matter always recycle itself, we still have to know what is conscious though.

anyways living forever as a human would be cool, but there is a problem, population dramatically increases, need for resources increases. We should fix up the world before we do that.

and 1 big bad thing about living forever, evolution stops.

But there is a solution, Evolution is for the biological creature, once we can live forever, master genetics, we can transfer our genetic structure digitally, here the problem, the conscious residing in another thing, its weird but, what I meant is to becoming mechanical, because it can easily get upgraded, we can have top notch armor, and strength, and chips to 1000000000000000x thinking.

of course theses are science fiction, but it theoretically possible (right ?), we probably need evolution and advance more to achieve such a technologies.

"don't jump to conclusions until your 99%"

"dreams are the best source of creativity" me
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2011, 11:43 PM
You all better hope I am not the scientist who discovers how to make this work (since this is about the field I want to specialize in). I am way to selfish to share something so great >.< I would love to be immortal just so I can learn everything about everything and become obnoxiously rich. Think of how much you can manage to learn in a single year, imagine learning continuously like that (since cells would not degenerate your memory would become eidetic if I am not mistaken) . How lame would it be if everybody else could have that oppurtunity? Especially those without the drive to utilize it. Yup, I couldn't share.
14-01-2011, 12:46 AM
(13-01-2011 11:43 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  You all better hope I am not the scientist who discovers how to make this work (since this is about the field I want to specialize in). I am way to selfish to share something so great >.< I would love to be immortal just so I can learn everything about everything and become obnoxiously rich. Think of how much you can manage to learn in a single year, imagine learning continuously like that (since cells would not degenerate your memory would become eidetic if I am not mistaken) . How lame would it be if everybody else could have that oppurtunity? Especially those without the drive to utilize it. Yup, I couldn't share.

Evil atheist !
Tongue Big Grin
14-01-2011, 07:36 PM
And when you run out of things to learn you will become bored for the rest of eternity. You won't be able to associate with anyone because they will see you as the biggest know-it-all in the history of the world, so you will be lonely for the rest of eternity. It doesn't sound like fun to me.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
20-01-2011, 11:46 AM

(13-01-2011 10:36 PM)Laxion Wrote:  This is very cool, matter always recycle itself, we still have to know what is conscious though.

anyways living forever as a human would be cool, but there is a problem, population dramatically increases, need for resources increases. We should fix up the world before we do that.

and 1 big bad thing about living forever, evolution stops.

But there is a solution, Evolution is for the biological creature, once we can live forever, master genetics, we can transfer our genetic structure digitally, here the problem, the conscious residing in another thing, its weird but, what I meant is to becoming mechanical, because it can easily get upgraded, we can have top notch armor, and strength, and chips to 1000000000000000x thinking.

of course theses are science fiction, but it theoretically possible (right ?), we probably need evolution and advance more to achieve such a technologies.

We also would run out of resources in the end. As the overpopulation of people would cause the planet's resources to go belly up. Because, if I have two kids, who then have two kids, who then have two kids.. etc, at some point, we won't be able to accommodate them, no matter what we do now to save the planet.

I disagree on the evolution aspect. if I understand it correctly (that is Natural Selection), it will evolve even if we don't want it too. So even if we figure out how to cheat death, evolution will still happen. Just we will be the "chimps" of the next generation.

I'm not a scientist nor do I have the access to play one on TV.
Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Still , our self , our ego - is nothing more than a collection of stored patterns in our brain.
Imagine taking that information and copying it into a machine , no resource use , endless life.

We devise something like the matrix , copy our minds onto hard disk and live forever (provided the hard disks don't fail).World of world anyone ? Tongue
20-01-2011, 01:49 PM

not sure what relevance this has, but i thought you would find it interesting.

Whatever your age, your body is many years younger. In fact, even if you're middle aged, most of you may be just 10 years old or less.

This heartening truth, which arises from the fact that most of the body's tissues are under constant renewal, has been underlined by a novel method of estimating the age of human cells. Its inventor, Jonas Frisen, believes the average age of all the cells in an adult's body may turn out to be as young as 7 to 10 years.

Cells from the muscles of the ribs, taken from people in their late 30's, have an average age of 15.1 years, they say.

The epithelial cells that line the surface of the gut ... last only five days. Ignoring these surface cells, the average age of those in the main body of the gut is 15.9 years.

The red blood cells...last only 120 days

An adult human liver probably has a turnover time of 300 to 500 days

The entire human skeleton is thought to be replaced every 10 years or so in adults
20-01-2011, 02:21 PM

Speiraz, I like the theory, how does it work for Children? Also you mention a novel, link please.

Thanks.
20-01-2011, 04:18 PM

this was just a copy and paste off a website.. i heard about it on a TV show called QI.. so I don't know about any novel Confused
20-01-2011, 07:47 PM
(14-01-2011 07:36 PM)No J. Wrote:  And when you run out of things to learn you will become bored for the rest of eternity. You won't be able to associate with anyone because they will see you as the biggest know-it-all in the history of the world, so you will be lonely for the rest of eternity. It doesn't sound like fun to me.

Once I learn everything I will create things.