Poll: Do you believe there can be a cure to death?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Cure for death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2011, 05:53 AM
RE: Cure for death?
The idea of immortality would lead to more problems. If you think about it death is a natural part of life it's natures way of preventing Massive over population.
If everyone is allowed to take this 'cure' it would increase everyone's life span temporarily. The population would continue to grow with very few natural deaths untill massive over popultion occurs leading to food shortages and shortages of other resources this would of course lead to wars over whatever scraps of resources could be found meaning most people would have a very slow drawn out death.

The other problem with it is if not everyone is getting it and it is only taken by an elite few what's to stop some dictator taking it and continuing their oppression.

I can completely understand why people want immortality. No one wants to die, I would love to live long enough to see the future to explore the universe etc. But the damage it would cause far outweighs the benefits.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2011, 11:56 AM

(11-09-2011 05:53 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  The idea of immortality would lead to more problems.

Two of them I can think of:

1. You would be bored out of your skull because you have seen it all (like Lazarus in Heinlein's "Time enough for Love")

2. You may not be in the best physical shape which can cut down on fun.

Trust an old man.

Aging

What do I have
I don’t want to lose
no matter what?
What do I keep
till there’s no more “I”
able to want?

Age creeps up on me,
stealing me blind,
now I need glasses;
driving on the road
I am so slow,
every old lady passes.

My joints are shot
my hearing’s so bad
you have to say things twice.
My hair’s getting thin,
but thrives in the nose:
this is not very nice.

My elbow hardly bends,
my fingers always ache,
don’t even mention my neck!
I don’t run any more,
shuffle is more likely…
…admit it: I am an old wreck.

It isn’t so bad,
when I consider:
I’m not really losing -

because, as I age,
with less and less ‘can-do’
less and less seems worth while doing.

Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2011, 03:42 AM
(29-11-2010 03:18 AM)AshleyApathy Wrote:  For a while now, I've believed that there is a cure to death. And with religion, it's setting us back.. Because every one is thinking were meant to die and go to a place in the sky, etc, etc. But, I truly believe there is a cure for death.. Is any one else with me on this? If so, state what you think can contribute to the cure. If you oppose, that's fine too. I figured I'd get some negative nancys lol.

It makes me sad to read stupid things said by Atheists. Like, really? Do you really think if we never had religion we would have a cure for death by now?

And why would you want a cure for death? That's the most selfish thing I've ever heard of. Say, someone came up with one, do you know how ridiculously over populated the world would become?
29-09-2011, 08:44 PM
(29-09-2011 03:42 AM)JesusLovesYou69 Wrote:  
(29-11-2010 03:18 AM)AshleyApathy Wrote:  For a while now, I've believed that there is a cure to death. And with religion, it's setting us back.. Because every one is thinking were meant to die and go to a place in the sky, etc, etc. But, I truly believe there is a cure for death.. Is any one else with me on this? If so, state what you think can contribute to the cure. If you oppose, that's fine too. I figured I'd get some negative nancys lol.

It makes me sad to read stupid things said by Atheists. Like, really? Do you really think if we never had religion we would have a cure for death by now?

And why would you want a cure for death? That's the most selfish thing I've ever heard of. Say, someone came up with one, do you know how ridiculously over populated the world would become?

Who's to say once said discovery happens that being sterilized won't be apart of the process.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
30-09-2011, 04:23 AM
(29-09-2011 08:44 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  
(29-09-2011 03:42 AM)JesusLovesYou69 Wrote:  

Who's to say once said discovery happens that being sterilized won't be apart of the process.

But then what about people who get killed by unnatural causes? Who replaces those people? How do we decide who gets to reproduce and who doesn't?
30-09-2011, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2011 11:47 AM by NotSoVacuous.)
(30-09-2011 04:23 AM)JesusLovesYou69 Wrote:  
(29-09-2011 08:44 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  Who's to say once said discovery happens that being sterilized won't be apart of the process.

But then what about people who get killed by unnatural causes? Who replaces those people? How do we decide who gets to reproduce and who doesn't?

Sterilize the men, maybe keep most of the intelligent ones able to produce sperm if for banks by their choice. There will be women that will want children who will be on a waiting list. The waiting list could also be conformed by intelligence and financial status to allow a form of productive artificial selection. We don't want idiots to receive good sperm now do we.

This is obviously simply a cookie cut fix; It could be more thorough.

30-09-2011, 07:33 PM
(30-09-2011 11:43 AM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  
(30-09-2011 04:23 AM)JesusLovesYou69 Wrote:  How do we decide who gets to reproduce and who doesn't?

Sterilize the men, maybe keep most of the intelligent ones able to produce sperm if for banks by their choice. There will be women that will want children who will be on a waiting list. The waiting list could also be conformed by intelligence and financial status to allow a form of productive artificial selection. We don't want idiots to receive good sperm now do we.

Yeah, we don't want undesirables to reproduce and pollute the Super Race, now do we.

What makes me think that in such a world, you would see yourself as one of the designated "intelligent" sperm donors?

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
03-10-2011, 08:30 PM
... oops, meant to move this over to Poet's Corner. Let me try again.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
04-10-2011, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2011 10:23 AM by NotSoVacuous.)
(30-09-2011 07:33 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(30-09-2011 04:23 AM)JesusLovesYou69 Wrote:  How do we decide who gets to reproduce and who doesn't?

Yeah, we don't want undesirables to reproduce and pollute the Super Race, now do we.

What makes me think that in such a world, you would see yourself as one of the designated "intelligent" sperm donors?

Um? I won't be? I don't, in my opinion, have genes that should be passed on. I am of average intelligence not worthy of passing on genes. I should be sterilized. And what is with most of you people on these atheist forums, always assuming shit. I lay out a decent cookie cutter example of a way euthenics could make humanity better and you take it as if I will be the supreme leader of this faction with your smirk assumptions as if you just proved a point. How about eat shit?

So sorry for thinking we should improve the human race with a more controlled method of how we became to be by preventing people with bad genes that pass on stupidity and health issues from breeding.

Quote:Yeah, we don't want undesirables to reproduce and pollute the Super Race, now do we.

Oh and I love how you place undesirables(Health issues, low intelligence, and deficient body structure.) in a sympathetic light. Almost as if an idiot's right to breed is more important than the child who will inherit this life diminishing disease of the mind or body and suffer from it for the next ten to seventy years. I totally agree that a person's right to a booty call or eagerness to have a child outweighs the decades of detrimental effects a child will have to suffer...

04-10-2011, 03:23 PM
(04-10-2011 10:15 AM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  
(30-09-2011 07:33 PM)cufflink Wrote:  

Um? I won't be? I don't, in my opinion, have genes that should be passed on. I am of average intelligence not worthy of passing on genes. I should be sterilized. And what is with most of you people on these atheist forums, always assuming shit. I lay out a decent cookie cutter example of a way euthenics could make humanity better and you take it as if I will be the supreme leader of this faction with your smirk assumptions as if you just proved a point. How about eat shit?

So sorry for thinking we should improve the human race with a more controlled method of how we became to be by preventing people with bad genes that pass on stupidity and health issues from breeding.

Quote:Yeah, we don't want undesirables to reproduce and pollute the Super Race, now do we.

Oh and I love how you place undesirables(Health issues, low intelligence, and deficient body structure.) in a sympathetic light. Almost as if an idiot's right to breed is more important than the child who will inherit this life diminishing disease of the mind or body and suffer from it for the next ten to seventy years. I totally agree that a person's right to a booty call or eagerness to have a child outweighs the decades of detrimental effects a child will have to suffer...

NotSoVacuous,

You don't seem to have much of a sense of history when it comes to eugenics. What you're advocating has a lot in common with the policies of the Nazi Party. If you think I was being snarky, just see the kind of responses you get from less restrained people when you spout this stuff.

I hope you weren't serious when you said that because you see yourself as only of average intelligence, you should be sterilized. Think. What would be the consequences of making this a universal rule? First of all, how would you even measure intelligence? With an IQ test? Are those tests valid and unbiased? And where would you draw the line? What do you think is a good minimum IQ score for permission to reproduce? 115? 135? In any event, do we know for sure that brilliant parents have always have brilliant children--or that ordinary parents don't sometimes have extraordinary children? And what about the person who scores 95 on your test but is an incredible musician, or painter, or auto mechanic, or baseball player? And who's going to do the necessary work in society that the super-elite wouldn't deign to do? Or do you think we should have stratification into alphas, betas, gammas . . . Have you read Brave New World?

That said, the question of whether severely disabled fetuses should be aborted is a hard one. But then again, does everyone agree about what counts as a disability? Suppose that 50 years from now we have a pre-natal test that determines whether or not a fetus will turn into a homosexual adult. Is that a "disability" that should be eliminated from society? Some would say yes. I would say no. Who decides?

If you want to think more deeply about such matters, the Wikipedia article on eugenics will give you some background and references.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.